Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.7 Motor I saw
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Looking at this on evil-bay. Any input is appreciated.

LongARM
good price....looks like it has been in the bottom of a lake for a while..
skline
isnt the 2.7 the one with the thermal reactors and had the problems with the head studs? It would still be a great engine for a conversion. If I had the money, I would do it.
Eric Taylor
Looks like a good price and if it is as he says a pretty decent deal. Maybe craig or one of the portland cronies can check it out, canby's a stones throw from portland.
Eric
skline
I think for the money, I would rather do This one

It is done and ready to go and fresh for another $500.00
skline
Or how about this one?

The bigger the better?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (skline @ May 16 2005, 03:04 PM)

uh-oh...

that is the EXACT ad, copy and photographs, of the engine Mike Ginter won from the guy in California last week... and it was personally inspected there by Sammy.

*something* is fishy...

---edit---
that item was #7972812234 and it's still visible...
since the "item location" for the "new" listing is in "North Wales" - which is about a block from here - i've asked the seller when i can come see it - even tho the copy says the engine can be seen in Torrance, CA - which it was... interesting...
Ferg
agreed!! somthing is not right, I just pm'd Gint... I bet the sellers's original ebay page was hijacked!!!

Ferg.
type47
i haven't looked at the other ones but a thought i had was to buy one that is complete (aka running) so you won't have to search for parts to make it running...
Allan
QUOTE (skline @ May 16 2005, 12:06 PM)
Or how about this one?

The bigger the better?

I saw it but was leery because of the head leak.
rick 918-S
Why would you buy a 2.7 with no known work or no known history for $ 2500.00? With the potencial for a bad head stud and other associated problems.

A core motor is $ 500.00 on Car-part.com.
skline
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 16 2005, 12:28 PM)
Why would you buy a 2.7 with no known work or no known history for $ 2500.00? With the potencial for a bad head stud and other associated problems.

For a long block? Complete with fan and alternator and sheetmetal? Where is this?
anthony
50K miles on that motor? Yeah, right! Personally I think think it's worth putting any serious money into anything less than a 3L motor. It's one of the most bullet-proof 911 motors and comes standard with a decent amount of horsepower without any mods.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (anthony @ May 16 2005, 04:06 PM)
Personally I think think it's worth putting any serious money into anything less than a 3L motor.

i'm glad you have finally seen the light on this !
Gint
QUOTE (skline @ May 16 2005, 01:04 PM)

It is done and ready to go and fresh for another $500.00

That ebay listing is in fact a direct copy of the ebay auction that I won. It is a scam. I'm not certain the seller on that auction item actually posted it either. I think his ebay ID is being spoofed. Just for grins, check out ebay item number that Scott listed in his link. And then check out the auction I won. Gint's new 2.7 mill on ebay

Anywho... I bought that motor and had Sammy go check it out. I've let the seller know that someone is jerking him around BIG TIME and he should contact ebay immediately and let them know what's going on.

For all the guys that have PM'd, emailed and called me, Thanks! But it's all good on my end. If we show up to pick up a motor and there isnt one there, the money goes right back into my bank account.

SLITS
QUOTE (skline @ May 16 2005, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 16 2005, 12:28 PM)

For a long block? Complete with fan and alternator and sheetmetal? Where is this?

Scotty Oh Scotty....a long block is case, crank, heads only...no carbs or FI, sheemetal or ancillary stuff.................
J P Stein
It is a core motor and is worth what you can part it out for.
If nothing major is wrong, that would be 800-1K, but you don't know anything about it, thus 500 *might* make you some money.
sixnotfour
I was offered a second chance for 2000.oo dollars less than high bid screwy.gif
Said highh bidder was not able to pay. screwy.gif

I emailed Gint. beerchug.gif Ebay Good, Ebay Bad
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Headrage @ May 16 2005, 02:41 PM)
Looking at this on evil-bay. Any input is appreciated.

i inquired about the transmission, and was told that it didn't have an electric speedo, which an I-series '76 shouldda, according to my sources...

i don't have the engine serial number secret decoder ring so i can't tell you what year that number matches to, but it'd be worth checking out very carefully, i'd think ...
sixnotfour
615XXXXX Its a 1975 engine . which matches what rich is saying about the trans.
Porsche Rescue
Hmm. Are we sure the first guy is OK in all of this?
Eric Taylor
still 1750 and an hr to go. Possiably snake the motor for $1200 post auction?
Eric
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (skline @ May 16 2005, 11:04 AM)

don't you guys think it is a little suspicious that this auction was kept private? i mean you can't email any of the bidders to find out what the scoop is on the engine. idea.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ May 17 2005, 10:39 AM)
don't you guys think it is a little suspicious that this auction was kept private?  i mean you can't email any of the bidders to find out what the scoop is on the engine. idea.gif

didn't have time to be suspicious about that - the fact that it was the EXACT SAME listing for an engine i knew to be located in a different part of the world and owner by different people was plenty for me...
ArtechnikA
and here's the update to that little drama.
you may recall in yesterday's thrilling episode that upon seeing that the engine in question (well, one of them, there are two going in this one thread...) was "supposedly" about a block from here, i asked when i could drop by and see it. here's "the seller" response today:

I'm sorry but i'm in UK with some important bussines
and my wife it is allone at home
so i will only use a shipping service for delivery
i hope you can understand

right...

i reported the auction as fraudulent to Ebay, but they haven't got back to me to ask why i think so, because there's little information on its face that looks fishy unless you know the backstory...
Porsche Rescue
If I have the correct engine the bidding has ended with some anonymous buyer paying $4950. Can't recall, was this always a one day auction?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ May 17 2005, 03:40 PM)
If I have the correct engine the bidding has ended with some anonymous buyer paying $4950. Can't recall, was this always a one day auction?

yes.
yet another red flag.
take the money and run.

i looked at the feedback statements.
it appears that the 'real' "JCR3001" last had a transaction March 2004.
sounds like a hijacked account... (to me...)
Gint
QUOTE (Sammy @ May 17 2005, 02:00 PM)
Ya want another red flag? Sunday morning that engine will be in my garage protected by my big attack dog, so if anyone besides me pays money for it (with Gint's $$ of course) they will loose that money and get nothing for it. Someone is going to get ripped off by that guy.
I too reported it to e-bay as fraudulent.
IMO NEVER NOT BID ON AN AUCTION WHERE THE BIDDERS LIST IS PRIVATE. The seller is trying to hide something.

Since the fraudulent seller has perfect feedback but hasn't had any activity in a year, I figure the identity got hyjacked.
If it wasn't a sin to kill people like that I'd have to stock up on ammo.

I reported it to ebay also and asked the scam seller why he duplicated the auction ad that I won the previous week. No response to either one. I advised the seller of the real motor to do the same.

Sammy, Check's in the mail BTW. Check your email tonight; I'll send details.
Allan
The 2.7 is back for sale.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Headrage @ May 17 2005, 07:01 PM)
The 2.7 is back for sale.

with a new, lower starting bid, properly re-listed as a '75.

But Wait, There's More!

If you act right now, you also get the free transmission!
(if you pay enough...)
Gint
Well, at least no one got burned from the first scam auction. The seller of the real motor just told me that he was in fact the winner of that auction and he also has reported it to ebay.

I'll still respect you in the morning Sammy... laugh.gif at least until after you've made me breakfast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.