Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
car guy
Hello everyone! New Member here.

I just acquired a 914 engine that was disassembled 4747.
I purchased it and was told it was a 1970 2.2T motor and wanted to build it as a project back to original specs that is still my plan unless someone needs it.

I would also be interested in some opinions. Since when I purchased it and it was represented as a 1970 911 2.2T motor and it is a 914-6 motor did I get the better end of the deal? which motor is more valuable?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(car guy @ Jul 25 2017, 09:15 AM) *

I purchased it and was told it was a 1970 2.2T motor and wanted to build it as a project back to original specs that is still my plan unless someone needs it.

I would also be interested in some opinions. Since when I purchased it and it was represented as a 1970 911 2.2T motor and it is a 914-6 motor did I get the better end of the deal? which motor is more valuable?

.2 better
jmz
QUOTE(car guy @ Jul 25 2017, 08:15 AM) *

Are you saying it is engine number 6404747?
McMark
The 914-6 engine will be more valuable to the right person, IMHO. But you may have to sit on it awhile to get that 'good' selling price.

Unless parts on the engine are reusable, there are a few upgrade paths that can be fun, but cost/benefit would encourage you to start with a bigger engine rather than spending lots of money on a small motor build.
Optimusglen
The 914-6 2.0 and the 2.2T motors are pretty close in value I think.

Unless, of course, the owner of the 914-6 that previously had that exact engine decides to bring their car back to numbers matching. Then I think the 2.0 would be worth quite a bit more.

If someone was restoring a 914-6 and wanted the correct engine but non-numbers matching, I wonder what that would do to the value.
car guy
Yes the engine number is 6404747
rgalla9146
QUOTE(car guy @ Jul 25 2017, 10:19 AM) *

Yes the engine number is 6404747

As already said;
The greatest value is to the person that owns the car that the engine came in.
If you can find him/her
If the car exists
If they care
If you can determine condition.
If they'll pay
Plus..........it's a lot harder to start with an engine number and find the car VIN than
to start with a car VIN and know what engine to look for.
toolguy
you'd be looking for a car with a vin around 914043 1344
GeorgeRud
The 914-6 never came with a 2.2 motor from the factory, though some previous owner may have enlarged the bore during a rebuild. I'd agree that the engine would only be particularly valuable to the owner of the matching car.
Larmo63
I wish he would answer the question as to what the complete motor number and type is.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jul 25 2017, 11:41 AM) *

I know the owner of a car that is two VINs older than mine.
I have a 1983 letter from Porsche that includes my engine number.
The owner of the other car has a COA to verify his engine number.
Our engines are 42 numbers apart.
I believe in approximations...... but they can be misleading.
gms
A 914/6 engine is not very powerful and anyone doing a conversion would probably chose sometime of a larger displacement because it cost about the same to rebuild a 3.0 L as it does to do 2.0L. I am not disparaging these engines but just trying to put a realistic value because I see people charging over $1500 for a case and as far as I am concerned that is nuts unless you own the car it belongs to. If you rebuild a 914/6 engine then you are raising the price that the owner of the car it belongs to has to pay and not knowing your abilities as an engine builder might make that a hard sell.
Cracker
Actually more specifically around #1368...if numbers are assigned sequentially. My car is #1670 / Engine #5049

Tony

PS: I've done a fair amount of research and the added value for a matching number package in a Porsche isn't that substantial - not like the old "muscle cars" of old. As said previously, their isn't allot of value either way. The "bonus" of having matching numbers ranges from 5 to 10 percent. Their is the value to the right person and then only maybe...

mepstein
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 26 2017, 11:57 AM) *

Actually more specifically around #1368...if numbers are assigned sequentially. My car is #1670 / Engine #5049

Tony

PS: I've done a fair amount of research and the added value for a matching number package in a Porsche isn't that substantial - not like the old "muscle cars" of old. As said previously, their isn't allot of value either way. The "bonus" of having matching numbers ranges from 5 to 10 percent. Their is the value to the right person and then only maybe...

I disagree. It depends on the car but I'll say a good 20% for the people who find it to be important. Many guys won't even look at the car of its not matching. It makes no difference to me but I do see this all the time since our shop buys and sells at least one or two cars a week. Singer only uses cars with matching number engines even though everything gets modified. EarlyS and 356 guys seem to live or die over numbers matching. Crazy!
Don't even get me started on date matched wheels, steering wheels, etc.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 26 2017, 11:20 AM) *

A 914/6 engine is not very powerful and anyone doing a conversion would probably chose sometime of a larger displacement because it cost about the same to rebuild a 3.0 L as it does to do 2.0L.

agree.gif

On a conversion I'd never get hung up on the correct engine size, to me in this case the correct engine is the one with the best HP and engine.
My conversion I started with a 2.0S core then a 2.7 core and finally I built on a 3.0 because of the AL case.
Cracker
Mark - I agree if we are talking "end of the rainbow" builds...like the guys who only will look (etc, etc). Those builds ultimately eclipse what the cars actually worth (and the market has softened already). That to me is not what real world, normal trading takes place - not for 914's anyway.. We can all agree owners can ask whatever they want...I have seen "those" cars sit idle.

PS-Typing on phone from the beach...pleasr excuse tupos! biggrin.gif

Tony

[quote name='mepstein'
I disagree. It depends on the car but I'll say a good 20% for the people who find it to be important.
[/quote]
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 26 2017, 09:20 AM) *

A 914/6 engine is not very powerful and anyone doing a conversion would probably chose sometime of a larger displacement because it cost about the same to rebuild a 3.0 L as it does to do 2.0L. I am not disparaging these engines but just trying to put a realistic value because I see people charging over $1500 for a case and as far as I am concerned that is nuts unless you own the car it belongs to. If you rebuild a 914/6 engine then you are raising the price that the owner of the car it belongs to has to pay and not knowing your abilities as an engine builder might make that a hard sell.

agree.gif Those Mag case 2.0 and 2.2 motors are some of, if not the, least desirable motors to build anything off. If you can find the owner of the car it may have some value.
porschetub
IMO the valve of the engine is less in the OP's case because it has been dissembled,been burn in the past buying engines this way ....theres always some parts missing or parts rusted due to poor storage....parts get damaged also.
At the end of the day its what someone will pay.

car guy
I believed someone asked for more info on the case, here is what I know.
901/38
901.101.101.3R

I hope this helps!
McMark
More and more this seems to feel like a thinly veiled classified ad... dry.gif
car guy
I don't know where that came from. I was just looking for some advice to justify if I got taken on the purchase of a 914/6 motor that was presented as a 911 2.2T motor. you can verify this if you would like I purchased it on ebay about a week ago. It was listed as a 1970 2.2T motor for $3500. You should not make assumptions. The case is not for sale if is a bad deal for me I can return it to the seller.
Cracker
Assumptions sometimes are wrong but the line of questioning from a brand-new Newbie can be suspicious. No harm no foul - enjoy your new motor! beerchug.gif

Tony
McMark
What Cracker/Tony said.
car guy
No worries! Just trying to get some information from guys that know this stuff. Trying to figure if I was to build a race motor which one would be the right one. It sounds to me like the 914/6 block being rare should stay factory specs. since it came with the correct heads, crank, cams, carburetors it would be easy to achieve that.

As far as a race motor I have been told a 3.0 b/c the 2.7s are unreliable. Please any opinions would be appreciated. Trying to stay a bit old school.
mepstein
The 3.0 is the one to build into a race motor. Super strong aluminum case. Our 962 uses a 3.0 case and puts out over 700hp.

The 914-6 case is the same as the '69-911S. That engine had 185-190hp, stock. You will need to work the heads and use S cams and pistons but it's certainly not a throw away engine.
gms
If it was the rusted engine that I saw for sale I would return it ASAP. If it is an engine that turns with webers you probably did alright...it would be helpful to post pictures.

The 2.7 is not unreliable it just needs same retro-fitting while being rebuilt to prevent head studs from pulling. IMHO the 3L, 3.2L or 3.6L are the best bang for the buck.

ConeDodger
Find its home and it might as well be made of gold. Otherwise, its going to hold down garage space... So if gravity fails us, you made a good investment. dry.gif
okieflyr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 28 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Find its home and it might as well be made of gold. Otherwise, its going to hold down garage space... So if gravity fails us, you made a good investment. dry.gif

Or a cool coffee table base? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.