Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help Identifying These Springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
These Springs were too stiff for my friend and he went with lighter springs. Since it is a 914-6 conversion it is anybodies guess, in my opinion, what these springs are rated. They are both marked with green paint on the side and have the VW logo followed by PO4 and then a circle with something very small inside of it, then followed by 72. Now there may be more numerals behind the 72 but that is all I can read because the area is scratched up. Best picture I could get. They look to be a pair but only one spring has that marking on the end.

Bet this is an easy one for somebody.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Those are stock 914 springs. They came with one, two and three green dots to indicate stiffness.

Group 1 220-227 kp 1 dots
Group 2 227-233 kp 2 dots
Group 3 233-240 kp 3 dots
Mark Henry
Too stiff and marked VW?
All stiffer springs for the 914 are aftermarket.

I'm guessing that it's a hack, maybe they are superbeetle front springs??
They look like they have the same number of coils.
Mark Henry
Well I guess I was wrong...nevermind.... biggrin.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 25 2017, 08:13 PM) *

Those are stock 914 springs. They came with one, two and three green dots to indicate stiffness.

Group 1 220-227 kp 1 dots
Group 2 227-233 kp 2 dots
Group 3 233-240 kp 3 dots

Thanks Mark! That makes sense. So... the gentleman who gave them to me felt they were too hard a ride but what he ended up with I don't know. Going to try to find out and report back. Guess he could have just gone from the 2 dot to the one dot?
914Sixer
Interestingly enough, Porsche went with the 3 dot springs from 73 on. I really doubt the springs were the problem. Shocks would be my 1st choice that was making the ride harsh. 914-6 used the same length but the coil diameter is .5mm larger.
Olympic 914
When my original springs were sagging I bought these at the Porsche dealer. they were said to be stock 914/6 springs. They had two yellow dots.

Markings look to be P05074

I always thought they were #100 springs but don't really know.

Click to view attachment

914Sixer
You are correct, -6 springs are 100 lb. Yellow dots are correct for -6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.