Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEED HELP.....AGAIN...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djsinister702
ok here we go ....
on the way home from work, i smell something like rubber burning coming within the car...its dark could see anything.
and then the light about the letter "G" came on. got it home.
check the fuses no blown fuse?
so what's wrong?????
redshift
Generator (G)

Seems you are smelling burning an alt belt. Take-a-look-a-dat.

M
djsinister702
where would the alt belt be?
dmenche914
The fresh air fan on one of my cars burned up when it got full of leaves, smelled burnt, was your fan on??? Look for melted wires also, and be sure the fuses are the right rating, too high a rating on the fuse can lead to melted wires, burn smell, and/or fire.
SLITS
QUOTE (djsinister702 @ May 16 2005, 02:01 PM)

On the engine, behind your back..............as in the belt that goes between the fan and the alternator pulley.
Mueller
QUOTE (djsinister702 @ May 16 2005, 02:01 PM)

are you serious??? wacko.gif screwy.gif

do you own a haynes manual?? i suggest you sit down with it and thumb thru it to familerize yourself with the car a little bit........ smile.gif
djsinister702
ok,
i found this when i open up the engine lid....
alt belt?
how much is this gonna set me back?

Ps, i do have the book..and i had read thru it...i had done alots of work on the car...just not the engine part....
SLITS
It's a standard "V" belt, tho not so standard in the mounting of it as you will have to access the mounting bolts from the top and underneath the car to allow the alt to swing the put the new belt on.

Since it starts with POR, it will automatically begin at $100 at your local FLAPS, so why don't you ask for a VW 411 alternator belt.....it will only cost about $15 then. rolleyes.gif

Oh PS: If the alternator is locked up and you have to change it....get a good supply of bandages and make sure your SO and kids (if you have one/some) are not nearby to hear the language you will use when you try to change it.

Thanks Mike smilie_pokal.gif "READ THE MANUAL"

AND PSS....to get your "Knowledge is Power" to come out the way you want...when you isssue the command for color, size, etc and hit the button, you must also click "close all tags"....This is not in the Haynes Manual biggrin.gif
redshift
HAHA!

Someone get the Cap'n! I need a higher rating on the troubleshooting thing!

M
redshift
Actually, nix that... I am not convinced it's the alt belt anymore... since it's not in the car...

Have you checked to see if your rear wheels are spinning?

M
djsinister702
biggrin.gif hahaha you guys are funny and helpful.
I went searching and found it...from the look of it...I called my mechanic and have him deal with it...hehehehe.

thank you for all the info...especially SLITS.....

hey i love the car , doesnt mean i know anything about it..
hehehehehe

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.