Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door jamb air vent removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Tried search but didn't find this. I need to partially remove my right rear quarter to access hell hole repair and the jamb is also coming off to be replaced. I've dug out about 8 pounds of seam sealer around that vent tube under the sail panel but still can't quite figure out how it is attached to the jamb. I'm assuming tack welded somewhere but I can't find them. Can anyone shed some light on how to remove the jamb without trashing that tube? confused24.gif

Thanks!
worn
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 26 2017, 09:36 AM) *

Tried search but didn't find this. I need to partially remove my right rear quarter to access hell hole repair and the jamb is also coming off to be replaced. I've dug out about 8 pounds of seam sealer around that vent tube under the sail panel but still can't quite figure out how it is attached to the jamb. I'm assuming tack welded somewhere but I can't find them. Can anyone shed some light on how to remove the jamb without trashing that tube? confused24.gif

Thanks!

Yeah. I pulled the foam out too. made a long burr by welding a woodworking tool on to a tube.

I bet they are brazed on. Seem to remember that I ran into brass with the mig and made blue flame. Good luck!
mepstein
Jeff Hail replaced one in his build thread. Scotty B replaced one on my car - mepstein build. I think Jeff's goes into more detail if you can find it on his thread.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2017, 11:50 AM) *

Jeff Hail replaced one in his build thread. Scotty B replaced one on my car - mepstein build. I think Jeff's goes into more detail if you can find it on his thread.

Thanks! In case someone stumbles across this thread looking for the same info in the future, I found the relevant section of Jeff Hail's thread here, and the mepstein build here and here.

Unfortunately for me, Jeff wound up repairing he tube in place without removing it from the jamb, and Mark's car had been kind enough to pretty much rot cleanly away from the tube so there was little left to do to detach it. But I'm probably going to do something similar. Just cut around the hole in the jamb and then grind back to the tube until I have a clean edge to insert into the new jamb.

worn: I think you are right about the brazing. While scraping away sealer with a screw driver, I caught a hint of yellow at the seam. I'll get in with a dremel and wire wheel when I get a chance to confirm. But pretty sure that's the deal. Curiously, I found no foam inside my sail panels or roll bar. WTF.gif Did they stop doing that at some point? confused24.gif I found absolutely no trace that anyone had been in there to do work before. All spot welds looked factory fresh, seam sealer was intact, and primer matches what I've found in other internal structure. Given the quality of body work elsewhere on the car, it seems unlikely such an expert job could have been done.

This brings up a curiosity. While cutting and cleaning out the long for replacement, I found a couple spots of brazing at each end of the long seam (red arrows). But I also uncovered some genius's rust repair where they just brazed a hunk of sheet metal over a rust hole and then bondoed away (blue arrow). Can you believe that expert repair rusted out again? It left me wondering if the seam brazing is factory or if there could be another nice surprise left by a PO's body man in this box of Cracker Jacks.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Wow, big repair! May the force be with you.
Front yard mechanic
My 76 also has brazing at your red arrows. Question how did you look inside the sail?
bbrock
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jul 26 2017, 08:37 PM) *

My 76 also has brazing at your red arrows. Question how did you look inside the sail?

Simple sawzall-smiley.gif biggrin.gif

Probably not what you were hoping, but no shortage of rust to repair on this project!

Thanks for solving the brazing mystery. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
Wow at least it will be clean sailing from here blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.