Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.0 SC conversion to Suburu
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
I have decided to convert to Subaru power. I just bought one with a brand new motor on it and it starts every time, idles, runs like a charm, and does not require a seance just to figure out the carburetor.......... Pictures to follow

As some of you know, I recently thrashed out a beautiful 3.0 911 SC from top to bottom / nothing spared in the rebuild. I sourced most everything from the original 914-6 oil tank, fittings, console, cap, dipstick, etc. I built from scratch afront oil cooler with a Mazda aluminum cooler, homemade shroud, fan, etc., and cut and welded the front bumper and valnce to match the intake... It works great but the way.

After the first 100 miles, I drained the break-in oil with no visible filings or debris on the magnetic drain plug. At 500 miles, I did the same with the same clean results. Now at 1000 miles and the MSD twisted up to 5000rpm limits, i cannot get the car to idle or run for barf.gif

A story of misery:

So I just had the excruciating experience of taking the car to Costco some 15 miles from my home down Pacific Coast HWY and (if I had made it back) 15 miles back.

Background: Yesterday keith and I took out the tranny again - the one that I just put first and reverse gears in replacing toasted needle bearings etc. In that process, we lost the clutch throwout necessary to disengage the Kennedy Stage II (again) so we had to R&I it yet again to place TWO dimes and one ball cup and two washers behind the ball stud to get some play back into the clutch fork.

After that Keith and I cleaned the idle jets and checked the air flow, linkage, and eliminated any popping out the exhaust or stacks. It sounded pretty good but was not holding an idle.

That seemed to werk for 2 miles returning home from that session with Keith yesterday. I slept like a baby.

Then today, on the way to Costco, first and reverse returned to play the rice krispie crunch symphony and second was only attainable if the car was turned off - which it did for me at every stop along the way to and fro.

Of course it is sweltering here on the coast today (up to 79 degree and Man that's hot here!) and so the car wanted to flood out when it died at ever light or stop sign on the 15 mile journey each way. I got partially out of the way of four lanes of stop and go beach crap-traffic then it died and stayed dead.

Prior to that it had no idle, or would hold a two thousand + rpm screaming at a stop sign while innocent people in the beachside cross walks ran in every direction throwing their babies into the bushes in case of an explosion / and yet no obstructions in any idle jet, good gas, three fresh inline filters, a recurved dizzy to match the webcam work
and a dizzy that doesn't respond to a tapping thereon, good timing and all prior to the rapid deterioration of everything being considered.

I even took off the carbs yesterday and checked the butterflies for closure and they looked fine to a novice and are new from the guy that sold them to me then charged me 4 Bills to clean them a third time, put in new butterflies and check for shaft leaks (none).......

Of course the guy I purchased them from just had a death in the family (not 914 related) and, regardless of that unfortunate turn of events, is notorious for lack of responsiveness or follow up to multi thousand dollar purchase-guys like me,,,, so I am considering having this pig trucked to our home in Scottsdale, covered in a garage, and await winter and some talent that can sort it out. This is no fun anymore.

To recap: New filters, good fuel pressure, float levels checked and good, clean idle jets (changed from 60's to 65's to eliminate bog issues), three times sonically cleaned for hundreds of dollars, perfect new linkage with great balls, rods, and shafts - MSD ignition, wiring harness by the master PK, ran great for about 999.0257 miles.

Any thoughts outside of what every book and post has advised? I have been there and done that at least twenty times in 999 miles...... sheeplove.gif hissyfit.gif

Sidebar: At least, while waiting for the tow truck in absolutely frozen traffic on pacific coast highway, I was able to (prior to sun spoilage) give away the fresh 2 pound slab of sockeye salmon, 24 brown organic eggs, two cartons of cottage cheese and a one pound wedge of smokey gouda to a smokin hot beach goer headed home to her hubby - verses getting home with a bag of spoiled rotten food.
Keyser Sose
"...smokin' hot beach goer"? Need photos or it didn't happen.
BigFour1973
Ill tell you what, ill trade you an ej257 from an 05 wrx sti unknown internals.... straight across for the 3.0 .

Now thats a deal you cant pass up. shades.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(Keyser Sose @ Jul 26 2017, 06:24 PM) *

"...smokin' hot beach goer"? Need photos or it didn't happen.

Yeah, c'mon, did she at least show you her boobs?

The Gouda may have survived...
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Jul 26 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Ill tell you what, ill trade you an ej257 from an 05 wrx sti unknown internals.... straight across for the 3.0 .

Now thats a deal you cant pass up. shades.gif

Hmmmmmmmmm That sounds like a ,.......... wait, my phone is ringing,... Hold on with that thought. My shrink is calling to make sure I gave away the Citori verses using it in my frustrations with Weber sheeplove.gif .
76-914
hide.gif
Larmo63
Tortoise and the Hare.
michael7810
I you don't want to look at it, you can put it in my garage in Scottsdale...just leave the title and I'll take good care of it.
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 26 2017, 04:51 PM) *

I you don't want to look at it, you can put it in my garage in Scottsdale...just leave the title and I'll take good care of it.

Hey Michael: We need to connect this winter when I take the cover off of this pig.

beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
And Larmo: You, for once in you infinitesimal life, are almost right - for once.

The Hare shot out of the box to get a ride done in his lifetime - not thinking that the current state of healthcare would be the lifenet..

You were there Pal. I found a core 3.0. Albeit, a 3.0 with burnt valve guides but complete to the shroud / then tore it down to it to its innards and documented all of that errata. and then rebuilt it up to a screaming beast.......... until the italians showed up.

Why is there not a Weberschinetizel carbs? We have Webers.

The Italians don't work half the day. The Germans missed a bet here...... WTF.gif
Larmo63
Found the girl.........and your cheese

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Sorry to hear of your issues, I'm starting my 3.0 tear down, but you're convincing me to stick with CIS or go with a simple efi setup. I like the looks and sounds of carbs, but know nothing about the magic to make them run well.
jim_hoyland
.... And, be sure to mention, you previously has a trouble free -4 that ran like a six... poke.gif
Steve
Simple fix
1. Second mortgage
2. Find reputable shop
3. Say "fix it"
Front yard mechanic
Fuel inject that so and so and sell the webers to someone who likes the smell of gas popcorn[1].gif
michael7810
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jul 26 2017, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 26 2017, 04:51 PM) *

Hey Michael: We need to connect this winter when I take the cover off of this pig.

beerchug.gif

Sounds good. I'm usually around in the winter. Let me know if you need help with the car (strictly labor; the only thing I know about a six is that it's 2 more than IV).
Larmo63
Make sure you get a luggage rack to go along with your new Subaru motor.

hide.gif
GeorgeRud
It certainly would help to switch to EFI as I don't think Webers do so well with ethanol laced fuels. However, once properly tuned, this engine should sing. A Subaru conversion will always be a bit of a bastard child and will eventually decrease the resale value.
Steve
agree.gif
It would be simpler to have evil rebuild your trans and just add efi versus a Subaru build.
Vegas racer has a 3.0 with factory injection. He drives that thing everywhere and also races it. Do a search on the injection. There are ways to modify the injection without cutting up the car. I miss my Weber's, but I don't miss the hassle of keeping them running.
forrestkhaag
Some of you guys must have missed the Subaru picture in my first post / it was of a Subaru powered pressure washer........... lol-2.gif poke.gif .

For the same reason that my cat doesn't date dogs, in a million years I would never put a Japanese engine in a German car - just my cats' and my opinion however as I know of a couple of nice Suby conversions out there.
Steve
I bought a Subaru BRZ. A lot less hassle.....
Actually a Toyota 86... parts is parts...
Beach914
If you're at C&C San Clemente tomorrow I'll introduce you to the "Italian" that knows Weber Carbs. That is if he gets up early enough to join me in driving down there.

He just rebuilt my 40idas also. Looks like we will be going through my 3.0 also and doing the heads and other stuff short of splitting the case.
Justinp71
Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Did you check your carb intake to base gaskets? Are you running the intake insulators? Sounds like there could be an air leak somewhere.

Another weird thing that happened to me, was 2 of my idle jet holders were not long enough and the idle jets didn't actually seat in the carbs. That was a hard one to figure out.

Also go over your electrical system. I had a bad coil to distributor wire once, that I forgot about.

I put in an AEM O2 meter a couple years ago for about $250, best tuning tool ever. Really helped me get them dialed in.

I've been running a 3.0 (now a 3.2) with carbs since 2009 and I love it! Its been very reliable too. I've driven it 200 miles to laguna, raced all day and driven home. My uncle has a 69 911 with carbs he put together in '95 it ran great until recently he let it sit along time and now he needs to re-tune it. It's a good chance its a simple fix, it just might take some time to find it.
Elliot Cannon
Idle jets, idle jets, idle jets. I have cleaned the idle jets in my car, ran it 10 miles and they clogged again. It looked like they were clogged with tiney bits of varnish or some such stuff. Clean the tank and fuel lines and use a really good fuel filter. If you have done all that stuff already then, never mind. Oh and by the way if you put a Japanese engine in that beutiful car, I will never speak to you again. Now there's a threat you can live with. av-943.gif
mb911
I will be running webers to start and after everything is set I will possibly change to a efi at some point. I am lucky to have mfi heads so I can use those ports as injector ports and use the carbs as throttle body's
forrestkhaag
OK So I am back on the mend. Keith914 and I performed the ball-bearing and duct tape "Hidden Passage Clearing" trick and did some minor retuning on jets of various kinds and linkage - as much as anything - the carbs are back to pleasing and usable / and quite impressive above idle / smooth acceleration up to rev limit of 5.5K (still in breakin mode) and the idle is now set at 1K and fairly consistent.

The sounds that emanate from the engine bay at 4K and above (when in a tunnel or under ta freeway overpass are, to say the least, worth the brain damage that Webers will inflict upon the unanointed.

Morsal of this story: Keep at it until it is solved. Quitting is not an option.

The sideways paper typed on an IBM Selectric is data from Porsche Mail Order (can you say PMO?)

Sidebar: Now I have issues with the Subaru running correctly...... lol-2.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 7 2017, 06:22 AM) *

OK So I am back on the mend. Keith914 and I performed the ball-bearing and duct tape "Hidden Passage Clearing" trick and did some minor retuning on jets of various kinds and linkage - as much as anything - the carbs are back to pleasing and usable / and quite impressive above idle / smooth acceleration up to rev limit of 5.5K (still in breakin mode) and the idle is now set at 1K and fairly consistent.

The sounds that emanate from the engine bay at 4K and above (when in a tunnel or under ta freeway overpass are, to say the least, worth the brain damage that Webers will inflict upon the unanointed.

Morsal of this story: Keep at it until it is solved. Quitting is not an option.

The sideways paper typed on an IBM Selectric is data from Porsche Mail Order (can you say PMO?)

Sidebar: Now I have issues with the Subaru running correctly...... lol-2.gif

Nice... piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif . I agree. I once got on it in a tunnel, my wife and sister were in a minivan about 500 feet back (not in the tunnel). When we got home I they told me I sounded like a screaming race car going through, and scared the stromberg.gif out of them... awesome!

I do agree, clean the s out of your fuel system, run like 4 filters and clean the idle jets. My system has been pretty trouble free since I cleaned everything out (been about 7 years)

What is the tape / ball bearing trick? Please share

gereed75
So you are now initiated into the order of the knights of the secret passages! Quite an honor and a bit of a PITA.

My carbs run pretty good but I have a set of MFI throttle bodies and stacks and a few bucks stored away for a Rasant/AEM EFI conversion when they get on my last nerve or I get bored, which ever comes first.

But ain't that aircooled flat six howl just the shit!
Justinp71
Here is a sound file of me just cruising around... would be better if it was at a track. Music to my ears... wub.gif put on some headphones for pure enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X279KTSExs4
gereed75
What exhaust??
Justinp71
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 11 2017, 05:42 PM) *

What exhaust??

Magnaflow 2in x 2 out. It was recommended by Knight racing from Texas.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jul 26 2017, 03:13 PM) *

I have decided to convert to Subaru power. I just bought one with a brand new motor on it and it starts every time, idles, runs like a charm, and does not require a seance just to figure out the carburetor.......... Pictures to follow

As some of you know, I recently thrashed out a beautiful 3.0 911 SC from top to bottom / nothing spared in the rebuild. I sourced most everything from the original 914-6 oil tank, fittings, console, cap, dipstick, etc. I built from scratch afront oil cooler with a Mazda aluminum cooler, homemade shroud, fan, etc., and cut and welded the front bumper and valnce to match the intake... It works great but the way.

After the first 100 miles, I drained the break-in oil with no visible filings or debris on the magnetic drain plug. At 500 miles, I did the same with the same clean results. Now at 1000 miles and the MSD twisted up to 5000rpm limits, i cannot get the car to idle or run for barf.gif

A story of misery:

So I just had the excruciating experience of taking the car to Costco some 15 miles from my home down Pacific Coast HWY and (if I had made it back) 15 miles back.

Background: Yesterday keith and I took out the tranny again - the one that I just put first and reverse gears in replacing toasted needle bearings etc. In that process, we lost the clutch throwout necessary to disengage the Kennedy Stage II (again) so we had to R&I it yet again to place TWO dimes and one ball cup and two washers behind the ball stud to get some play back into the clutch fork.

After that Keith and I cleaned the idle jets and checked the air flow, linkage, and eliminated any popping out the exhaust or stacks. It sounded pretty good but was not holding an idle.

That seemed to werk for 2 miles returning home from that session with Keith yesterday. I slept like a baby.

Then today, on the way to Costco, first and reverse returned to play the rice krispie crunch symphony and second was only attainable if the car was turned off - which it did for me at every stop along the way to and fro.

Of course it is sweltering here on the coast today (up to 79 degree and Man that's hot here!) and so the car wanted to flood out when it died at ever light or stop sign on the 15 mile journey each way. I got partially out of the way of four lanes of stop and go beach crap-traffic then it died and stayed dead.

Prior to that it had no idle, or would hold a two thousand + rpm screaming at a stop sign while innocent people in the beachside cross walks ran in every direction throwing their babies into the bushes in case of an explosion / and yet no obstructions in any idle jet, good gas, three fresh inline filters, a recurved dizzy to match the webcam work
and a dizzy that doesn't respond to a tapping thereon, good timing and all prior to the rapid deterioration of everything being considered.

I even took off the carbs yesterday and checked the butterflies for closure and they looked fine to a novice and are new from the guy that sold them to me then charged me 4 Bills to clean them a third time, put in new butterflies and check for shaft leaks (none).......

Of course the guy I purchased them from just had a death in the family (not 914 related) and, regardless of that unfortunate turn of events, is notorious for lack of responsiveness or follow up to multi thousand dollar purchase-guys like me,,,, so I am considering having this pig trucked to our home in Scottsdale, covered in a garage, and await winter and some talent that can sort it out. This is no fun anymore.

To recap: New filters, good fuel pressure, float levels checked and good, clean idle jets (changed from 60's to 65's to eliminate bog issues), three times sonically cleaned for hundreds of dollars, perfect new linkage with great balls, rods, and shafts - MSD ignition, wiring harness by the master PK, ran great for about 999.0257 miles.

Any thoughts outside of what every book and post has advised? I have been there and done that at least twenty times in 999 miles...... sheeplove.gif hissyfit.gif

Sidebar: At least, while waiting for the tow truck in absolutely frozen traffic on pacific coast highway, I was able to (prior to sun spoilage) give away the fresh 2 pound slab of sockeye salmon, 24 brown organic eggs, two cartons of cottage cheese and a one pound wedge of smokey gouda to a smokin hot beach goer headed home to her hubby - verses getting home with a bag of spoiled rotten food.

Replying to your first post from July 26th showing picture your carb and manifold and then picture of your awesome looking engine, which looks eerily similar to mine, red shroud and all. Anyway, I had a question about you intake manifolds. What are they? and how did you come to choose them? I too have a 3.0 big port SC engine and several of the same goodies you have. Your input would be valuable to me as I am at that point. Great looking car and engine! Glad you got it sorted out.
Also sent you a PM.
Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.