Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Love or hate the rack Don't read this if you have a life.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
I gotta tell you... some folks hate those luggage racks - but now that another one sold on the boards here today or yesterday, I must say that in 1972 when I bought my first 71 914, it came with one.

I didn't know what to make of it. it made waxing the car in front of hot chicks weird. It had the potential for degradations of the rack holes (a problem many too young here will never know the dimension of...) .......But. (one "T"}

Other than its utilitarian simplicity.... it was butt ugly and poked holes in the metal. But wait a minute.....

I used that car to drive between Tulsa and Baton Rouge with one or two fuel stops in rain, snow, sleet and mud and the rack allowed me to never consider any car bigger in capacity than the 914. My girlfriend had her four suitcases of God knows what strapped thereon and I had a my leather dopp kit in the front trunk stinking of fuel/... Ahhh such was life.

She was happy riding in a Porschhhhh and I was happy driving a mid engine car in my very early twenties with a chick that had luggage (and a rack). (Most don't have luggage in college back then.... Baggage, yes. Luggage. No)

The rack on the trunk / Ugly or simi-ugly maybe. Like so many things not up to a 9 or 10, there are many that serve a good purpose in their simplicity and, dare I say, ugliness.

That 914 luggage rack was one of them.

Today, we overcome lack of storage with an additional SUV in addition to the SUV we already have.

We tow my 914 to 914 events so I don't have to consider heat or a radio one can hear - much less AC - a non-starter if one wants to be less than rank-gamey at these 914 social events / arriving in the 914..

It is a world of contrast my friends.

Enjoy it. It never lasts.
(Hal Holbrook - Wall Street)

beerchug.gif
bandjoey
I'm still not sure but when I see SirAndy's Red 914 all loaded up with his bags, it kinda looks ok. biggrin.gif
Rand
I'll take a rack over any non-functional add-on. smilie_pokal.gif
And while Andy's isn't a sleeper, I especially love it when a car with a rack kicks ass at an AX.
green914
I have thought many times about putting a luggage rack on a spare deck lid just for long trips. Have it on only when needed, lol-2.gif and kept out of sight when not in use.
agree.gif nice to tow some times and enjoy modern comforts.
forrestkhaag
And you can put that thing on there with clips that dont tamper with body skin or paint fyi beerchug.gif
Porschef
Now, c'mon man! This is the second post mentioning racks, with no pics whatsoever.

Credibility is taking a hit here, just sayin,... poke.gif
914_teener
I finally figured out who Veeks really is.

tygaboy
This won't help at all but I just couldn't help myself:

Who doesn't like a nice rack?

Sorry...
larryM
geez- i think i have one of those things out in the shed - been there for 20 yrs +/-

right next to the 2 ski racks....... & the MGB rack & the Miata rack ...

it's different than the ones shown here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=41478

& here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=1738422
Larmo63
Shameless plug......

Click to view attachment
Racer
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 26 2017, 09:36 PM) *

Shameless plug......

Click to view attachment

That's a nice rack!

I've had one 914 with a rack. It was on my '76. Figured, if you are stuck with a big butt (er, bumpers), may as well have a nice rack wink.gif (see what I did there?)

It grew on me but I never actually used it as intended. Mostly, I was nervous that the mounting brackets would scratch my painted roof.
sb914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 26 2017, 05:57 PM) *

agree.gif hey Forrest put down the smoke.gif if you can't handle it . poke.gif
Coondog
Give me clean socks, underwear and a toothbrush and I am packed.....

Click to view attachment
914werke
Simply hideous!
If it cant fit on my person or in the two generous trunks, I dont need it.
914Sixer
I have no problem with the rack. It just blocks 1/2 the vision out the back window. Put a suitcase on it and you are blind in the rear.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 26 2017, 05:57 PM) *

Naaaw. Veeks posts pics related to the typed displays of a creative use of words poke.gif
iankarr
Click to view attachment

Sexy ugly! Or is it Ugly sexy?
SO.O.C914er
No rack Forrest no don't do it! chair.gif put down the hash pipe and back away my friend av-943.gif
Valy
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jul 26 2017, 09:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks like your rack is not in the stock location.
JawjaPorsche
Racks and 914s are a beautiful thing.
iankarr
QUOTE(Valy @ Jul 27 2017, 03:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hmmm. Looks stock to me. Btw...is this the whitest ad ever????

Click to view attachment

I'm more a leg man, but I'm developing a greater love of racks. TMI?
mbseto
Luggage rack is the difference between a show pony and a work horse. I would not be ashamed. Also, bikini girls: get off the bodywork!!
mb911
My car came with one and as I redo everything that's the thing I struggle with removing from the GT build only becuase it is so odd.
76-914
QUOTE(green914 @ Jul 26 2017, 05:28 PM) *

I have thought many times about putting a luggage rack on a spare deck lid just for long trips. Have it on only when needed, lol-2.gif and kept out of sight when not in use.
agree.gif nice to tow some times and enjoy modern comforts.

agree.gif That's what I did. For a couple of hundred bucks you can have both. The lid with the rack hangs from the garage ceiling when not being used. beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
green914 and 76-914 have the best idea.

I personally hate racks on older Porsches. A lot of 356 guys like them but I think they are fugly. I can't see myself needing more space in a 914 than is available in the stock trunks, if I need more I'd take my wagon (not that I've driven my 914 in 9 years tongue.gif )
forrestkhaag
I wasn't considering putting one one my car / just reminiscing of decades past when I had one on my 1st 914. I'm not crazy. screwy.gif screwy.gif
76-914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jul 27 2017, 07:16 AM) *

I wasn't considering putting one one my car / just reminiscing of decades past when I had one on my 1st 914. I'm not crazy. screwy.gif screwy.gif

poke.gif Yes, you are! biggrin.gif
My 914
I wish there were a better looking one available. Given time, Porsche might have redesigned it. The ones in the pictures look a little flimsy to me. Sort of like taking half a beach chair and putting it on the back of the car.
Eric_Shea
Rack blink.gif

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I'd love to come up with extra carrying capacity as I've been needing to use a wheelchair or walker to get around since last year's illness. I'd really like to come up with one for my 911 Targa, but I think the roof would be too high to place a wheelchair up there. A rack over the engine lid (on the 911) might work.

Or, perhaps another Troutman designed 914 pickup?
larryM

- period correct - a true collectible and a crowd-pleaser at local cruise-ins

in a way - these threads are reminiscent of the love/hate threads on the rear reflector add-on

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...41478&st=20
forrestkhaag
To anyone who is willing to find a place for a walker or wheelchair and still want to get in a 914 or 911, MORE POWER TO YOU AND YOUR RECOVERY!

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 26 2017, 05:22 PM) *
I'm still not sure but when I see SirAndy's Red 914 all loaded up with his bags, it kinda looks ok. biggrin.gif

agree.gif

IPB Image
Matty900
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2017, 08:10 AM) *

Beautiful, you want some need bars for it?
Matty900
first.gif
flmont
I just bought one last week I cant wait to use it on a cruise to anywhere,..as soon as my car is running that is,..
euro911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 27 2017, 01:08 PM) *
agree.gif

IPB Image
Andy, is that you & Amoy's new place? drooley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 27 2017, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 27 2017, 01:08 PM) *
agree.gif
Andy, is that you & Amoy's new place? drooley.gif

The pic above is the old place, the pic posted earlier by bandjoey is the new place.
euro911
Both places look cool. I like Victorian era architecture, but the split-level Post WWII place on a hill looks great too. Congrats aktion035.gif
Valy
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jul 27 2017, 04:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Jul 27 2017, 03:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hmmm. Looks stock to me. Btw...is this the whitest ad ever????

Click to view attachment

That's not stock too and neither are the chrome wheels.
shades.gif
euro911
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jul 27 2017, 04:57 AM) *
I'm turned on more by a pretty face, than turned off by an imperfect body wink.gif
SO.O.C914er
Well if we're back to the nice big rack! I once rode a matchless out in the mohave desert she was dirty (bike) but not that good looking. Booyaa av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
My goodness! Isn't that Muffy and Troy? I thought they broke up ages ago.
euro911
They did break up ... the photo is from the mid-70's slap.gif

laugh.gif
Justinp71
Click to view attachment

What the !@#$ is the bumper rack for? I have two of those and I can figure our why I would put them on. Sideways snow board?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 28 2017, 03:01 PM) *
What the !@#$ is the bumper rack for? I have two of those and I can figure our why I would put them on. Sideways snow board?

Early cars didn't have the rubber tits to protect your bumpers from, well, being bumped.
shades.gif
GeorgeRud
That picture is an old AMCO ad showing off some of their products. The bumper bar probably was of some protective help before the days of park by feel.
burton73
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2017, 08:10 AM) *

Eric- "Build it and they will come"
Freezin 914
I do like to see our cars with them and without. If they are done well, show a little variety. I just purchased one for my car. Planning on having two trunks, one with, on without. In the right environment they can add a dimension of nostalgia to our cars, even if a little funny looking....
Freezin 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.