Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CL: "Barn Find" Des Moines, IA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
iwanta914-6
a 1973 2.0L, seems odd that it doesn't have the chrome bumper or fogs (possible accident causing replacement?), but hell for only $1850, I feel like I should be making the 4 hour trek south to at least take a look at it.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/pors...6237874342.html
ablesnead
sheesh ! , 4 hours is nothing , you would get it for 1500.00 cash....At some point you have to commit
billh1963
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Jul 27 2017, 12:17 PM) *

sheesh ! , 4 hours is nothing , you would get it for 1500.00 cash....At some point you have to commit

He really doesn't want a car. He likes the search...the thrill of the chase! biggrin.gif
Mikey914
It's called hoarding .....er.....ah... I mean collecting, yes. I too have to fight these tendencies.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 27 2017, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Jul 27 2017, 12:17 PM) *

He really doesn't want a car. He likes the search...the thrill of the chase! biggrin.gif

Yeah, there's a part of me that would be sad if the "chase" came to an end, but then I'd have to chase down parts if I had a 914 so that would be fun to.

I'll always have an excuse, today's excuse is that my wife got a new job where she gets Summers off to stay home with the kids, downside is her not getting paid during the Summer...

I'd be far more tempted to make the drive if I had a vehicle that was capable of towing it back.
Tom_T
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 27 2017, 09:08 AM) *

a 1973 2.0L, seems odd that it doesn't have the chrome bumper or fogs (possible accident causing replacement?), but hell for only $1850, I feel like I should be making the 4 hour trek south to at least take a look at it.

If it's a late 73 MY 2L with the decontented options (no AG & PG) it could still have the painted bumpers, along the lines of Dave K's orange/black 73 2L.

I'm not sure what those seat inserts are, but if driven up thru `94, then they could be reupholstered 73-94 at some point.

If anyone looks at this one, do a thorough rust search over, under & through - cuz I see some just in his 5 blurry pix - e.g.: at the lower RF fender in front of the passenger door. Many more sins are probably hidden by the few blurry pix the seller is posting.

Also - is it really a "barn find" if you stick it in your own pole barn, & then pull it out years later!? biggrin.gif ... you knew it was there all along! shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 27 2017, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 27 2017, 09:08 AM) *

If it's a late 73 MY 2L with the decontented options (no AG & PG) it could still have the painted bumpers, along the lines of Dave K's orange/black 73 2L.

I'm not sure what those seat inserts are, but if driven up thru `94, then they could be reupholstered 73-94 at some point.

If anyone looks at this one, do a thorough rust search over, under & through - cuz I see some just in his 5 blurry pix - e.g.: at the lower RF fender in front of the passenger door. Many more sins are probably hidden by the few blurry pix the seller is posting.

Also - is it really a "barn find" if you stick it in your own pole barn, & then pull it out years later!? biggrin.gif ... you knew it was there all along! shades.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The seat inserts look like hounds tooth pattern, I thought I've seen that on some 914s.

Obviously a car like this is going to have rust, the question is for $1850, how much rust is one willing to deal with?
nditiz1
You know I called him lol. He bought it from a dealer in the 90s.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 27 2017, 01:08 PM) *

Did he have anything else to say about it?
second wind
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 27 2017, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 27 2017, 01:08 PM) *

Did he have anything else to say about it?

All talk no action....first guy there with $1,500 just bought (stole) a 2.0. Drop a few grand into it and you are still bucks up. On a deal like this you pay for it and push it off the property for a day or two while you work out the details.....
gg
Sea Dragon 914
If that was in my area, I would have jumped at it. My 73 came with black bumpers and I bought it from the original owner.
nditiz1
He said he parked when he built a garage, but couldn't get to it afterward as he didn't have access so it sat. He said he owns 3. He owns a repair shop doing Italian and british cars. Another shop was doing German but wanted to get out. He bought their shop and then bought this one from a dealer. He doesn't seem to know much about it when I asked about the "Hell hole" He is supposed to be sending me pics. He said he saw surface on the driver side and pin holes under the battery side. Hell for $1500 and a shipper ~500 you could have a non running, but highly sought after 73 2.0. Why does the 2.0 emblem look odd on the back?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 27 2017, 03:25 PM) *

He said he parked when he built a garage, but couldn't get to it afterward as he didn't have access so it sat. He said he owns 3. He owns a repair shop doing Italian and british cars. Another shop was doing German but wanted to get out. He bought their shop and then bought this one from a dealer. He doesn't seem to know much about it when I asked about the "Hell hole" He is supposed to be sending me pics. He said he saw surface on the driver side and pin holes under the battery side. Hell for $1500 and a shipper ~500 you could have a non running, but highly sought after 73 2.0. Why does the 2.0 emblem look odd on the back?

So you didn't go for it? I'd be surprised if it's still available...
turk22
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 27 2017, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 27 2017, 03:25 PM) *

So you didn't go for it? I'd be surprised if it's still available...

Well the ad is still up. It has the coveted 'rack'. My 73 first 2.0L had black bumpers.
did Andy take the pictures? laugh.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 27 2017, 04:25 PM) *

Why does the 2.0 emblem look odd on the back?

Because the emblems are from two different cars. The '914' from a car that had silver ones, and the '2.0' from one that had black ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.