Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
jim_hoyland
Looks great ! smile.gif
Peashooter
Your six is looking great! Love the dark green!
Cairo94507
Thanks guys. piratenanner.gif This has been a long, long time coming. I realize more and more how fortunate I am to have met the Justice League, (Jim, Kent, Andy and Bob) pray.gif without whom, this project would have certainly died. Once I spoke with Kent and then saw Andy and Jim's cars, w00t.gif both benchmarks in their own right smilie_pokal.gif , I decided to stick with my Six come hell or high water. Kent received my car in bad shape headbang.gif . Kent was able to take my chassis and in 14 short months, turn it into a perfect, metal finished chassis with no bondo sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smash.gif welder.gif . It looked so good bare metal that I wanted to just shoot it in clear and put it together.

Kent tackled my car with zeal. I can not express how it felt to see my car with all of the bodywork done and ready for paint. Then to see it in Irish Green on Saturday, (11/3/18) was just awesome. I do not believe they looked that beautiful when they rolled off the assembly line.

I am already looking forward to the next trip down to LA driving.gif , hopefully before Christmas santa_smiley.gif , as the exterior will be Irish Green and it should be a "roller" and likely at Jim's by that time. Speaking of Jim, this guy is unstoppable. He has most of my parts already ready to go back on my car and is itching to get going on assembly.

Andy, (Sandy, Mandy, Candy... confused24.gif ) remembering when his car was at this stage, 6 years ago, was as excited as I was as he looked at it. He commented, "With all the metal and body work done, from this point forward it is very exciting as you begin to see the car come to life with shiny parts." agree.gif

We had all met up at the Cone Zone in Seal Beach and last count was 21 914's. It was cool to see them gather in the wild like that. lol-2.gif I got to meet Lawrence (Larmo63), Oscar (ValcoOscar), Marv (Marv's3.6Six), Taylor and several other great guys- all of whom are active members here. They were all very supportive and glad my car was out of the metal and bodywork stage.

Kudos, cheers and beers to Kent for getting after this and making it an honest build with all of its ugliness laid bare for all to see before it became the car it is now. The bad juju is behind me and the fun stuff begins really soon. Stay tuned as my car starts to be reassembled. beerchug.gif
mb911
Looks great.. Can't wait to see it get it's wheels under it.
Cairo94507
Looking at my last post now.....I may have gotten carried away with the animated emoji things. Sorry.

Here is a pic I really liked:Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Wish I'd have made the trip up.

Michael, I think these are the key words from your post "Kent was able to take my chassis and in 14 short months, turn it into a perfect, metal finished chassis with no bondo" Not many can say that. Metal work is truly an art IMHO and you have a very fine example. Looking forward to assembly. Cheers to all! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
DRPHIL914

Better than new!! very exciting!
914_7T3
Your car is in a league of its own and its great that you stuck with it. This is such a great build!

first.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 5 2018, 10:50 AM) *

Your car is in a league of its own and its great that you stuck with it. This is such a great build!

first.gif

agree.gif This build continues as one of my favorite threads. Although I'm a bit partial to FAT 914's this narrow body 914 is one super sweet machine. piratenanner.gif Can't wait to see it in person someday soon.

shades.gif irish914.jpg

Oscar
Cairo94507
Thanks everyone- I appreciate the support and comments.

Socalandy
We’re getting it ready to come off the rotisserie and on some wheels
Socalandy
smash.gif
Socalandy
shades.gif
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
I really appreciate the pictures. I look forward to seeing my car as a roller again. Thanks Andy for posting those. beerchug.gif
76-914
Beautiful but I'd be as nervous a a "whore in church" working around a pristine shell. One slip of the wrench and .......well you know. This project has gone from a "suspicious build" to a work of art. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Can I just say...

WOW!!! drooley.gif
Luke M

Won't be too long.... driving.gif

first.gif

seanery
piratenanner.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif smash.gif wub.gif beerchug.gif clap56.gif pray.gif mueba.gif MDB2.gif rocking nana.gif party.gif piratenanner.gif
raynekat
Oooooh.
That green is beautimus! Like it!
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Really?
You are going to drive that?

Buy another one and put that under glass in your living room!

sixnotfour
hissyfit.gif
Cairo94507
Yes I am going to drive it. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
If you saw Michael's shit eatin' grin at Kent's shop the other day, you would know he's going to drive it.

He's going to drive the crap out of it!!! driving.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 30 2018, 05:56 PM) *

If you saw Michael's shit eatin' grin at Kent's shop the other day, you would know he's going to drive it.

He's going to drive the crap out of it!!! driving.gif

Well said and that is the way it has to be after all the hassles and BS ,go well its getting close Micheal good luck mate.
Blue6
Michael,
It looks great. Andy and Kent are working quickly. How long before it moves to the assembly house? In anticipation, I’m trying to get my trailer emptied, but the contractor is dragging his ass.
Cairo94507
Thanks Lawrence- you are correct.

Hi Dave- I really appreciate that. I believe as soon as we get some wheels on it, it is going to Jim's. I am hoping w/in 2 weeks.

Right now we are dealing with a front strut issue. I bought a set of '79 SC struts for the larger 3.5" early S calipers and then had the spindles raised by about 17mm. I also bought a set of Bilstein inserts for the front struts and apparently they do not fit. The Justice League is presently trying to sort that. I am hoping when I bought the struts they just shipped me inserts for a stock 914-6 and sort of lost the part of the conversation that I had switched to SC struts. If we can sort that, it will be a roller very soon. beerchug.gif
wndsnd
God bless you Michael. You deserve to enjoy it to the max. Drive it hard, wipe the rubber specs off the rear panels, and drive on. aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
Do you have a tentative date or event? I would like to see it. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
We do not. As the build moves along we will keep pictures posted. I would like to get it back home by this summer. I am pretty excited about seeing parts go on. I believe the wiring harness, fuel and brake lines may go in this weekend. I have an NOS Six wiring harness so that should not present any problems. I also have Tangerine Racing SS fuel lines and a complete set of new green brake lines from PMB as well as a new 19mm master cylinder and restored proportioning valve. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 1 2018, 07:22 AM) *

We do not. As the build moves along we will keep pictures posted. I would like to get it back home by this summer. I am pretty excited about seeing parts go on. I believe the wiring harness, fuel and brake lines may go in this weekend. I have an NOS Six wiring harness so that should not present any problems. I also have Tangerine Racing SS fuel lines and a complete set of new green brake lines from PMB as well as a new 19mm master cylinder and restored proportioning valve. beerchug.gif

Great to see it coming together
bdstone914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 30 2018, 07:19 AM) *

Thanks Lawrence- you are correct.

Hi Dave- I really appreciate that. I believe as soon as we get some wheels on it, it is going to Jim's. I am hoping w/in 2 weeks.

Right now we are dealing with a front strut issue. I bought a set of '79 SC struts for the larger 3.5" early S calipers and then had the spindles raised by about 17mm. I also bought a set of Bilstein inserts for the front struts and apparently they do not fit. The Justice League is presently trying to sort that. I am hoping when I bought the struts they just shipped me inserts for a stock 914-6 and sort of lost the part of the conversation that I had switched to SC struts. If we can sort that, it will be a roller very soon. beerchug.gif

@Cairo94507
What struts do you have ? Bilstein or Boge?
Strut inserts should be the same for 911 and 914 up to March of 1983. The struts then changed from internal to external thread.
What exact part number insert did you get ?
Bruce
Cairo94507
Hi Bruce - Thanks for thinking about this. I have sent you a PM. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Just ordered the sail panel vinyl set from Mark (914Rubber.com). I really think that is one of the defining features of our cars and can't wait to see it on the car. beerchug.gif
David Billo
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 1 2018, 07:11 PM) *

...the sail panel vinyl ...I really think that is one of the defining features of our cars...

Yes! Omitting it and painting the sails dramatically changes the look of these cars.
Socalandy
Back at it today. NOS harness is fun
Socalandy
aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
Fun ....OK...Go Andy
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif

More later, back to work
sixnotfour
wow
Socalandy
popcorn[1].gif
seanery
Man, just looks great!
Socalandy
shades.gif
Socalandy
shades.gif
Socalandy
Swing
Socalandy
Almost ready to get put on the ground
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Socalandy
smile.gif
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.