Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Fitting backpad ABS and off to upholstery bye1.gif
Socalandy
She’s coming along
Socalandy
popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
And goodnight yellowsleep[1].gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 24 2019, 11:57 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

wow looking great! where did you get the A-pillar pieces? that is one part i reused as i didnt find new ones or refurbs. Also, i see you have the GE LED headlamps, i was just looking at those again, are they worth the cost?
Cairo94507
I am very excited to see the progress. Glass back in the car with beautiful trim too. Defroster motor looks better than new. Targa bar trim looks crazy.

The GE LED headlights was a tough call. I went with them because they are always down/hidden unless it's dark and then you can't see them anyway. I wanted the maximum lighting I could get in a stock configuration and I did not want to put more heat through the factory harness. So, I knew it would be LED headlights from day one. I have no idea how they are going to work- but am certain they will be at least twice as bright as the factory sealed beam "candles". beerchug.gif
Socalandy
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 24 2019, 09:09 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

wow looking great! where did you get the A-pillar pieces? that is one part i reused as i didnt find new ones or refurbs. Also, i see you have the GE LED headlamps, i was just looking at those again, are they worth the cost?

If you’ve parted out as many 914’s as this group has we have some good original parts to draw from. As for the GE leds this will be a first for us and see what they do when we light the candle. Direct connect without hacking the NOS wires aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Blue6
Hey Michael,
I stopped by today for a free lunch. Man the car looks great. I made a template so we can put the Porsche emblem on the frunk lid. Need to get it on straight and centered. All sixes had them from the factory.... lol-2.gif
banananose914
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Mar 24 2019, 09:54 PM) *

Hey Michael,
I stopped by today for a free lunch. Man the car looks great. I made a template so we can put the Porsche emblem on the frunk lid. Need to get it on straight and centered. All sixes had them from the factory.... lol-2.gif

Hey Mike. Sorry that Dave was allowed to get near your car. His Mom wasn’t able to take him with her to work, so she dropped him off with us. Aside from the mouth breathing and drooling he wasn’t too bad. We have nicknamed him “Scooter.”
raynekat
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Mar 24 2019, 09:54 PM) *

I made a template so we can put the Porsche emblem on the frunk lid. Need to get it on straight and centered. All sixes had them from the factory.

Is that really true? I only thought some dealers might have installed them.
Car looks great regardless.
mepstein
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 25 2019, 12:19 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 24 2019, 09:09 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

If you’ve parted out as many 914’s as this group has we have some good original parts to draw from. As for the GE leds this will be a first for us and see what they do when we light the candle. Direct connect without hacking the NOS wires aktion035.gif

I have them. Worth every penny.
Cairo94507
Hi Dave - Thanks a lot. I missed seeing you the last couple times we were down. I appreciate the template- I know Jim wanted to install a crest on his car too....

(OK don't everyone go crazy- no crest on any 914 from the factory and we will not have one on my car.)

Thanks Mark. I can't wait to see them when lit. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
(OK don't everyone go crazy- no crest on any 914 from the factory and we will not have one on mine.

@Cairo94507

That is what i thought until i saw this in two different 914 sales pieces. Euro version 6 with a hood crest. And i think the two flat 8 engine cars had them.
Might be the same yellow car.
Bruce sawzall-smiley.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 25 2019, 06:20 AM) *

(OK don't everyone go crazy- no crest on any 914 from the factory and we will not have one on mine.

That is what i thought until i saw this 914 sales piece. Euro version 6 with a hood crest. And i think the two flat 8 engine cars had them. In the second pic note no crest on the red car.
sixnotfour
If you must. cut the pins off,, 3m sticky it on...NOHOLES
Cairo94507
There will be no crest on my hood. As you were everyone. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 25 2019, 10:05 AM) *

There will be no crest on my hood. As you were everyone. beerchug.gif

Good! May I recommend this instead?

IPB Image
Cairo94507
That's pretty freakin cool. But I am afraid the DMV inspectors, PC police, etc. would nail me at some point for wanton disregard of and negligently endangering the lives of pedestrians in the event they ran into the front of my car and happened to take that little skeleton up where the sun don't shine.....
Blue6
Everyone, I was just yanking Michaels chain about the hood crest... the car is not getting a crest. Brent, that is a cool hood ornament for an outlaw 914. Maybe it will end up on my POS....
Socalandy
It’s Sunday, Sunday, Sunday

More progress as more goodies arrive
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Oops, I sneak peeked the headlight cover lol-2.gif
Socalandy
aktion035.gif
Socalandy
popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
laugh.gif
Socalandy
idea.gif
Socalandy
smile.gif
Socalandy
rolleyes.gif
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Socalandy
chowtime.gif
Rear trunk seals came in
Socalandy
More soon yellowsleep[1].gif
altitude411
Man that paint is disgustingly beautiful.... drooley.gif Sorry Micheal, but you are not allowed to driving.gif this car outside of the garage. Just sit in it and make car noises. Seriously happy for you.
Cairo94507
Beautiful! smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks so much.
don-6
Andy, Jim and Kent, you guys are doing awesome work!
Looking forward to seeing the car in person.
jagalyn
Super nice... color looks great!
defianty
Wow, it's coming together quickly - great job to all those involved. Looking fantastic.

If you guys fancy a trip to the UK to give a brother a hand... laugh.gif
rgalla9146
Michael, absolutely beautiful job !
No 914 owner will will ever park anywhere near you.
You've shamed us all.
Cairo94507
I appreciate all of the comments. I am just trying to make this a really nice driver that will represent the 914 to future generations of car lovers. I totally hit the jackpot with Jim, Kent and Andy. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
I'm not parking next to that ever... you'll end up with butt marks on your fenders from people sitting down while staring. biggrin.gif
Valy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 1 2019, 05:01 AM) *

I appreciate all of the comments. I am just trying to make this a really nice driver that will represent the 914 to future generations of car lovers. I totally hit the jackpot with Jim, Kent and Andy. beerchug.gif

I'm sorry but it doesn't look like a daily driver to me.
Let me drive it around a bit and I'll return it in a perfect daily driver condition. smile.gif
Cairo94507
I didn't say "daily", I said driver. I plan on driving this car whenever I am home and not working. Of course, not in the rain. beerchug.gif
db9146
Have you reserved space in the museum and started construction of the pedestal yet? Looks like you're gonna need it soon!!!

drooley.gif
frankieshooz
Michael, that looks astounding. I cant wait to come over to visit again and actually see it instead of talking about it! Mines next.
Curious...Are you planning on applying any kind of protective coating (nano-ceramic coating or even a film) to protect that gorgeous paint job?
Cairo94507
Hi Frankie,

Thanks so much. I look forward to seeing you and being able to talk about the whole process. I sill love your 2.0 and wish I had one too.

Yes as to the paint protection. I will likely go with a clear-bra to wrap the complete hood, maybe the A-pillars, door handle cups, door edges and behind the wheels. I will also do film on the fog light lenses and maybe the front bumper. Overkill? Probably. But it comes off easily enough.

I feel really good about the paint Kent applied. We cut no corners, did not rush and I expect it will hold up well. We all know rocks show no mercy so better to take some steps to protect the paint. All of my daily drivers for the past 15 years have had clear-bras and they keep the cars looking like new or darn close. So in my (little) brain, well worth the expense and occasional comment that you can see the clear-bra.

Some believe I won't be driving this car- I will gladly disappoint them. I just wanted to start with a "new" car so I could keep it nice and not have to worry about chunks falling off when I closed the door. w00t.gif

preach
Mike wrap the whole thing. I just did the front and some small other areas on my Cayman, 2 years later I wish I paid to have all of it done. A stone chip on the roof, AYFKM.
Socalandy
More progress on the green monster
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.