Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Socalandy
popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
Wired up for heated seats smoke.gif
Socalandy
rolleyes.gif
Socalandy
smile.gif
Socalandy
Back pad final install biggrin.gif
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Socalandy
drunk.gif
Socalandy
Flaps
Socalandy
smash.gif
Socalandy
biggrin.gif time to start testing with power
Socalandy
piratenanner.gif another hot item for those cold mornings
Socalandy
It gets a bit crazy at times creeping up on completion
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
The hood crest controversy continues happy11.gif

Goodnight
Cairo94507
Thanks for the pictures Andy. I like the progress; it's nice to see the top back on the car. I like the new hood crest- and it's gold- a win win.

Now before anyone loses their stuff over the under carriage flaps, I asked the Justice League to add those for the extra cooling they reportedly provide when driving. I figured they came stock in the mid and later years for just that purpose so they could not hurt. Anything that promotes air circulation has to be good, right? beerchug.gif
Blue6
Michael,
I stopped by yesterday for another free lunch and to give those fellas some direction lol-2.gif . Lots of progress.
Here’s a word picture. Jim at the work bench cleaning and adjusting parts that will never be seen screwy.gif .Bob testing electrical parts/switches. Relay this, riostat that confused24.gif Bob tells Jim, you have several fog light switches, which one do you want to use. Jim replies, the best one. At the same time, Andy and Kent are fitting and refitting the back pad until it is far better then the factory ever dreamed of. One final adjustment on the interior light, then screw the backpack in place. Just the smell makes the leather a good investment. Andy under the dash for hours at a time, every wire just right. Seat heater wiring looks factory smilie_pokal.gif .
With you deciding to sell the 3.2 and install the LS9, I think the Chevy hood emblem is good, although I would shop for a slightly larger one..... biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Dave- Thanks so much; I wish I was there to chat and get in the way. It was a tough call going to the LS motor but you just can't argue with the horsepower. beerchug.gif
Valy
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 23 2019, 08:49 PM) *

The hood crest controversy continues happy11.gif

Goodnight

The crest is upside down. Is that intentional?
Cairo94507
I believe that is the correct orientation. But then again I have not owned a Chevy for several decades.....
Socalandy
not only is it correct but no matter how you flip it it's the same.

Disclaimer...
sometimes joking will be confused with other elements or misunderstood, no People, animals or aliens very_first_smiley[1].gif from this or any other planets were harmed in this attempt at humor. Possibility of being offended is possible and if it does occur check your panties. Chevrolett is a trademark of Chevrolet assuring its a Chevrolet. rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
Looking good assimilate.gif thumb3d.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 24 2019, 09:02 AM) *

I believe that is the correct orientation. But then again I have not owned a Chevy for several decades.....

You didn't catch that Andy liked your car so much, he provided an engine upgrade—with two more cylinders? w00t.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 24 2019, 11:21 AM) *

not only is it correct but no matter how you flip it it's the same.

Disclaimer...
sometimes joking will be confused with other elements or misunderstood, no People, animals or aliens very_first_smiley[1].gif from this or any other planets were harmed in this attempt at humor. Possibility of being offended is possible and if it does occur check your panties. Chevrolett is a trademark of Chevrolet assuring its a Chevrolet. rolleyes.gif

You bet your caboose I was offended. I thought we had agreed on this. You want the car to be classy, don't you? confused24.gif

IPB Image

Cairo94507
See post 1467. Not much gets by me...... beerchug.gif
KELTY360
Don’t you need an exhaust stack with an LS9?

BTW, the hood crest should actually be upright on the bumper. Amaturs. evilgrin.gif
banananose914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 23 2019, 08:32 PM) *

Back pad final install biggrin.gif

I don’t post very much, but I figured I would point out some things on this particular back pad install. If you have an original one, try to resurrect it. This may be a tall order because most of them are destroyed. Fiberglass and resin can be used to make an old back pad salvageable. Even if it’s destroyed, hang onto it for reference and parts salvage. You’ll need the four brackets from an original pad to transfer over to the aftermarket pad. You’ll also need to measure the lower holes on the original pad and transfer those measurements over to the aftermarket pad. Also the hole for the engine lid pull knob. You’re going to need to fit the aftermarket one together and attach the pieces together. They usually come in three pieces. This can be time consuming to say the least. Whether you use leather or vinyl, you’re probably going to have a tough time getting the back pad light to fit in and stay in without breaking it. This is also pretty time consuming. Lots of massaging went into the cut out for the light. To sum it up, this portion of Mike’s build took a lot more time than we anticipated. As many of you know, sometimes the most mundane things take the most time. The panels we received from 914 Rubber were pretty good, but you’re going to need to put some time and effort into these or any others. Although there are many things on this car, and any of the other cars we have done, this procedure sticks out more than some of the others. And believe me there have been others.There may be some things I forgot to mention, but these are the things that come to mind. The results are worth it though. I hope this helps, Jim.
Cairo94507
This is particularly noteworthy as I never thought something as simple as a back-pad would present the challenges experienced installing it. I went with the plastic one as I was assured, not by Jim or the Justice League members, this was the way to go and it would be an easy "upgrade" that would not present any issues. Sadly, that was not the case. The good news is I had the best guys possible on it and they knocked it out of the park. beerchug.gif (I mistakenly said fiberglass when I meant plastic. I have corrected my post. Sorry for the confusion)
bbrock
Never used the fiberglass version, but can recommend the plastic back pad board from 914Rubber. It takes and holds staples well. I can vouch that this is a difficult job though. I made a couple mistakes that luckily are not visible. I also used my original pad as a pattern to transfer the large ventilation holes over on mine.
mepstein
Funny that early 914-4 back pads never bring much money.
Cairo94507
Sorry guys. I mistakenly said fiberglass when I was talking about the back pad we went with. I meant plastic. As you were men. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
Is the foil sound deadener you guys used the Noico brand? If not, what did you use?
Cairo94507
Hi Lawrence, Sorry I do not know. Jim, Andy or Kent will know. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Was down visiting the boys on Saturday. We had fun:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hgtavc9RWV...ew?usp=drivesdk
sixnotfour
soooo coooool beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
beerchug.gif beer.gif piratenanner.gif smile.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Tbrown4x4
I have a feeling that smile will be stuck on for quite a while!
mb911
Very nice.
Cairo94507
It's OK you guys.....you can be honest. To me, it sounds like it is only running on 4 cylinders. But I have top men in their field working on it. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
av-943.gif ..I watched with no volume... popcorn[1].gif
76-914
Happy looks good on you. Congratulations beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
OK, I can't lead you guys on. My car has no engine in it. That was a Honda 4 cylinder motorcycle revving its engine. I don't want anyone to think Ben's bitchin' SS exhaust and muffler sound like that. My engine should get installed in the next 2 weeks I believe.
Valy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 7 2019, 04:18 PM) *

It's OK you guys.....you can be honest. To me, it sounds like it is only running on 4 cylinders. But I have top men in their field working on it. biggrin.gif

When you're back, I need some back yard maintenance. smile.gif
Cairo94507
A little more progress.....

Click to view attachment
bbrock
What headlights are those? Definitely something I'll want to upgrade from the originals on mine.

BTW, your little 4-banger sounds awesome lol-2.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Brent - GE Nighthawks. I got them through Amazon for a great price. I can't wait to drive it at night. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 7 2019, 10:41 PM) *

What headlights are those? Definitely something I'll want to upgrade from the originals on mine.

BTW, your little 4-banger sounds awesome lol-2.gif

I’m pretty sure they are this set. Price is a little shocking but so is the performance. I have a set on my stock four and love them. I purchased a less expensive set for my dad’s Jeep Wrangler and he said they were great. It’s a huge upgrade going to led’s but they look nothing like stock bulbs.
Socalandy
More progress pictures biggrin.gif
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Socalandy
popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.