Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Cairo94507
av-943.gif Yeah, well if my Six comes out as nice as Jim and Andy's, I will be one very happy guy. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
Are you coming down this weekend? I'd like to see the car at Kent's and have a 914 bull session.
siverson
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 12 2017, 06:54 AM) *

Are you coming down this weekend? I'd like to see the car at Kent's and have a 914 bull session.

Me too! (maybe if I can get some time away) Where and when if the "public" is invited?!?! smile.gif

-Steve
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 12 2017, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 12 2017, 06:54 AM) *

Me too! (maybe if I can get some time away) Where and when if the "public" is invited?!?! smile.gif

-Steve

Unfortunately I need to leave right after I meet with Mike, some time in the future thoughl would be fine. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Sorry guys. I would love to meet you both. Let's do it another time. I have to respect Kent's time. I plan on going down monthly so we will have a chance to meet in the future. Plus that will give Kent more time to get the chassis whipped into shape.

Maybe we could make it either before or after Thanksgiving? It would be a Saturday, not the Thanksgiving weekend, that's for sure. Don't want to add to the holiday traffic madness. I won't be able to nail down the date until I am in November due to my constantly changing schedule. But I think it would be fun to meet, have lunch and "cut it up" as "they" say. beerchug.gif

Also, if you have not seen Kent's work in person, I think it will blow you away. Pictures are good, but not as good as actually looking at the work in person. Andy and Jim's cars are just awe inspiring.
Larmo63
No worries. I just want to meet up some time if we can work it out.

beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
I would enjoy that. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Have had the week from Hell with crazy work and hours. Got home at 10:00 last night and went to bed and then got up at midnight so I can be on the road by 0200 to p/up my brother so we can drive down to see Kent, Jim and Andy. Been looking forward to that all week. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Back from southern CA - Had a great visit with Kent, Jim, Andy and my Six. beerchug.gif The bottom of the car is looking really nice smash.gif welder.gif .

However, in talking about the front of the car, it was decided that the front panel on the car needs to be replaced to make the front end correct. sad.gif As you can imagine, this was disappointing to me since it was already replaced a few years ago. wacko.gif But, in the end, it will be cheaper and easier to get the front end panels correct this way. I have posted a WTB and am once again chasing down an early nose panel. type.gif

My brother and I were able to spend some time with Jim going through my parts and I was able to complete my inventory of the parts I have and what I did not get when I picked my car up. I will get my list, it is short, to Scotty. He has been waiting for the complete list so he can gather and ship my stuff in one batch. I look forward to seeing those parts soon.

Also, spent more time looking at Jim's Six... w00t.gif It is just amazing how nice his car is. It is like being transported back to 1970 and seeing one in the showroom of the dealership - only nicer. The depth of knowledge regarding these cars, between Jim, Kent and Andy, is just amazing. They really need to get a life beer.gif . Seriously, they know these cars. I am so glad my car is in their hands.

I will go back down to southern CA in December to check on my car again. I hope I am able to quickly find a nose panel and get it to Kent so that surgery is over before I have a chance to really think about it. popcorn[1].gif
mb911
That is disappointing.. Sorry to hear that..
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 16 2017, 09:28 AM) *

However, in talking about the front of the car, it was decided that the front panel on the car needs to be replaced to make the front end correct. sad.gif As you can imagine, this was disappointing to me since it was already replaced a few years ago. wacko.gif But, in the end, it will be cheaper and easier to get the front end panels correct this way. I have posted a WTB and am once again chasing down an early nose panel. type.gif

Might want to look at the auction MDShantz is having....might be a front clip in there

Or this one: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317488
Working on the doors fixing some lite damage here and there.
More progress pics.
More.
Cairo94507
Now that's what I'm talkin' about. That is how a car is supposed to be prepared when it is a full media blasted restoration. Great work Kent. Have some cheesy-bread on me. beerchug.gif Now I can't wait for December. smilie_pokal.gif
siverson
Looks good!

> chasing down an early nose panel

What part are you looking for exactly?

-Steve
Cairo94507
Hi Steve - I believe I have sourced an early nose, the whole front panel behind the bumper. Should something happen I will reach out.
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 16 2017, 03:24 PM) *

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. That is how a car is supposed to be prepared when it is a full media blasted restoration. Great work Kent. Have some cheesy-bread on me. beerchug.gif Now I can't wait for December. smilie_pokal.gif

Mmmmm...that was good, don't forget the cheese infused butter.

Mike treated jim and I to an excellent sreak dinner last Sat. Delicious, Thanks Mike.
Door number 2.
Pic.
At first glance I thought a PO had drilled right through the nut plate for the mirror mount. Lookin closer, I saw that they had drilled two holes just off to the side of the nut plate. I welded up the holes then located and drilled holes to reveal the threads in the nut plate.
More pics
I showed how I locate and drill the holes for the mirror in Jims thread but I figured I show it in Mikes thread also.

I sprayed some black paint on the area.

Lathed a point on a bolt.

Screwed it in to the nut plate from inside of the door till it made a point in the metal.

Slightly sanded the area to reveal the mark then removed the bolt.

Used a punch to mark a guide for the drill.

Drilled a small hole.

Screwed a bolt in from the back to use as a stop so the threads don't get damaged.

Used a larger drill bit to open the hole to the correct size.
In the second pic you can see the bolt in the left hole that is used as a stop for the drill so that the threads don't get damaged.
Holes for Passenger mirror.
More pics.
Cairo94507
Hi Kent - Thanks for the hard work and photos showing it all. I believe you will have a nice nose panel pretty soon.

I have said it before but it never hurts to hear it again. When doing a full restoration or resto-mod (since my car is getting an '87 3.2 and a couple other minor changes) on these cars, or any other type of work, documentation is what wins the day and maintains value.

If one were to ever sell a car claiming it was a bare metal restoration, and they did not have the photos, sorry- you lose. I have seen to many threads claiming bare metal restorations and then you see the pics and the cars were only partially stripped.

The same goes for rebuilt engines, pictures and receipts are needed or it is a core engine or running engine with no history and valued accordingly.

When our cars were inexpensive, who really cared? But now that any clean 914 is bringing $25K or more and Sixes are hitting the $100K mark, people expect to see the paperwork. beerchug.gif
Pic.
cary
Michael and Kent the car/project is looking awesome................
The craftsmanship is stunning.
Cairo94507
Thanks Cary - But the credit goes to Kent. He alone is taking care of this chassis to make it like new. beerchug.gif
914forme
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 18 2017, 12:35 AM) *

Michael and Kent the car/project is looking awesome................
The craftsmanship is stunning.

agree.gif

Thank you for the tip on the mirror location, missed the other thread, now thinking I want to go back and read that one also.

Cairo94507
OK - Looks like I got very lucky here and this is the NOS nose going on my Six.....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
cary
Score ...............
timothy_nd28
Can I buy the old one from you? Mine is missing the curve, probably from a accident, which is causing the hood not to close.
Cairo94507
Timothy_nd28 - If it comes off in one piece, you can have it for the shipping. However, I believe it will not come off well or in one piece. sawzall-smiley.gif

One of the reasons we are replacing the nose on the car is it is creating issues with the whole front end and panel alignment. Evaluating it, we decided it would be easier to replace it rather than trying to remove and re-install it. Stay tuned for pictures of that in the near future once Kent has the new panel in his hands. To be honest, I am really excited to see this front end get buttoned down and finished.
Pic.
peteyd
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 18 2017, 07:26 AM) *

Timothy_nd28 - If it comes off in one piece, you can have it for the shipping. However, I believe it will not come off well or in one piece. sawzall-smiley.gif

One of the reasons we are replacing the nose on the car is it is creating issues with the whole front end and panel alignment. Evaluating it, we decided it would be easier to replace it rather than trying to remove and re-install it. Stay tuned for pictures of that in the near future once Kent has the new panel in his hands. To be honest, I am really excited to see this front end get buttoned down and finished.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the /6 front panel has different depressions in some areas. I dont know how nitpicky you are getting, but here is the correct depressions on a /6 front latch.

Pete

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Really? I would be a bit surprised if there was a special nose panel for the Sixes. No reason for there to be really. I am sure the one I bought is just a new NOS panel for an early car. I hope someone can confirm this special detail.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 18 2017, 06:27 PM) *

Really? I would be a bit surprised if there was a special nose panel for the Sixes. No reason for there to be really. I am sure the one I bought is just a new NOS panel for an early car. I hope someone can confirm this special detail.

I had never heard of a difference either but I do t have a real 6 to check
914forme
SocalAndy's car hard to see.

sixnotfour
That's a bumper tit front panel ,,,close but not it....73/74,,,
sixnotfour
No special panel for -6,,, 70-72 is what you need
altitude411
4 types in total...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=198600&hl=
peteyd
OK, correction. There is not a /6 specific front latch panel, but one for the 70-72 chassis.

Pete
gms
Link to Pictures
Cairo94507
It breaks my heart, but this is a 73-74 nose panel and it will not work for my car. icon8.gif

So I am back on the hunt for a NOS early, 70-72 nose panel. I am hoping someone has one up in their attic, shop storage, garage, you name it, that does need it. Please send me a PM if you have what I badly need.

If we can't find a NOS panel, then I will start to look for a very clean used panel. But with the level of damage we are trying to correct on the front of my car, an NOS panel would be a God send. beerchug.gif
Q.P. was replaced and lip was rolled by a P.O.
Straightened it and cut it as a 71 should be.
Pic.
Socalandy
here's mine arriving at Kent's shop in Nov. 2011 after media blasting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.