Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Thanks guys for all the nice comments. biggrin.gif
burton73
You are going to be booked with West Side work for a long time.

Bob B welder.gif smash.gif
Pics
Mueller
Amazing amount of work!

What was that hole for that you made the patch panel for?
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 13 2017, 01:33 PM) *

Amazing amount of work!

What was that hole for that you made the patch panel for?

The front of the inner fenders were damaged so they were removed and replaced with sections from another car.
The nose panel was from a late car so I removed the sections from the damaged nose and welded them in on the nose to make it an early/ correct nose for the car.
Cairo94507
Just amazing work. I am very impressed and pleased. Thanks and thanks for posting to the thread Kent.
ValcoOscar
Hey Kent-

Bob's absolutely right...and I'm guessing you can reconstruct enough 914's to fill every month of a calendar in about 5-6 years. Perfect timing...I hope to retire by then so I can be your gopher.

BTW..I will be the first to pre-order.

drunk.gif

Oscar
76-914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 13 2017, 02:49 PM) *

Just amazing work. I am very impressed and pleased. Thanks and thanks for posting to the thread Kent.

agree.gif I believe the skill level is only 50% of this restoration. It's his character that allows him to take the time to thoroughly inspect and correct all deficiencies. Kent's attention to detail is truly commendable. beerchug.gif
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 14 2017, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 13 2017, 02:49 PM) *

agree.gif I believe the skill level is only 50% of this restoration. It's his character that allows him to take the time to thoroughly inspect and correct all deficiencies. Kent's attention to detail is truly commendable. beerchug.gif

Hey, thanks. I appreciate that. biggrin.gif
Prepping the reat fender for media blasting. Very clean under the foam in the rear corner. Way cool.
More.
Some pre fitment. I think Mike will enjoy this pic.
Cairo94507
OMG! That is such a great picture. piratenanner.gif

I am so happy to see that quarter is clean and solid and the front end pieces all sitting in place like that. Thanks Kent. smilie_pokal.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(914350 @ Dec 14 2017, 05:02 PM) *

Some pre fitment. I think Mike will enjoy this pic.

Kent
Is that a different hood now? Looks like the hood it arrived in your shop with for Part 2 was primerish/ blueish/ greenish maybe? Can't tell the color. Same hood with yellow on it or test hood? Maybe I missed something with so many panels being replaced. Just curious. Thanks
Amazingly great work to watch and always looking for the next post! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
Mueller
Is there a count of how many donor vehicles have been used on this restoration?
Cairo94507
Kent has replaced a few panels because the ones we had were not in the condition or of the quality we wanted and expected for my build.

I had decided to update my original doors, which were in good condition, with later doors for the crash protection. The doors from VA, represented as in great shape, were actually badly rusted and covered in body filler. Kent had 2 late doors that were actually in great shape and so they are now on my car.

My original front fenders had been poorly body worked and had accident damage. Scotty and I sourced two replacement front fenders, represented as excellent condition. Turns out they were improperly installed and did not line up as they should and were as badly rusted as the doors. So I located 2 NOS fenders for that replacement.

The front nose on my car was in good condition, but it was a late replacement panel without the holes. Likely installed back in the 80's. We also had an early and late headlight bucket on the car. Scotty and I talked about this and decided to make the front nose correct because this build was to be as good as or better than when it left the factory. We sourced an early front nose in pretty good condition and it was installed. Turns out it was not properly installed and prior damage was never repaired before the install. During the install of that panel, damage was done to the inner front fenders, creating more issues needing addressing. This resulted in my sourcing a NOS nose for a 73-74 car which Kent "corrected" to be an early panel for my car.

The front hood on my car was in decent shape but Scott said he had a perfect hood. Turns out that hood had a lot of damage and the support frame was separated from the hood skin and never properly repaired. Kent has replaced that hood with a hood he had which I know will be perfect.

The passenger side quarter on my car had rear crash damage and Scott sectioned a new piece from a donor car at mid-fenderwell. The fitment was off by 1/4", going wide at the rear of the car and also longer than it should have been by approximately the same amount. Kent had to remove that panel and elected to do a full quarter replacement with a near prefect replacement panel from a donor car he had. Turns out we got really luck there as that panel is really in great shape.

That leaves the trunk.....I know that the trunk on my car when it left VA had visible damage in the front right corner. I believe that is a replacement trunk Scotty had. I do not know if that panel will remain or not at this point.

I don't know how to feel about that- 5 cars (possibly) gave up body parts so my Six could once again be driven and admired by many for decades to come (I hope). I take comfort that all of those cars were already parts cars or had been parted and were in storage awaiting cars that needed their parts.

I am grateful for all of the people who have generously offered up parts to help my build. I am most grateful for Kent's abilities and willingness to tackle this mess and set it right.

Cheers everyone - beerchug.gif
Michael
76-914
I have 2 questions.
What steps can be taken to prevent rust on this Jewel, Michael, e.g plating or dipping?
Kent, do you foresee a time when you might need to re-skin the doors? I'd love to see that process detailed here.
rhodyguy
Are you going to adapt the late doors for the cable style winders or stick with the late versions?
Cairo94507
76-914 - 1. The doors Kent supplied he metal finished and they are prefect. 2. I am not sure what we will do to make this chassis as rust proof as possible- that is Kent's domain. I am confident he will know how best to approach this and he will make it so.

rhodyguy - I am sticking with the later window mechanism. I see those as a better mechanism, long-term.

rhodyguy
No doubt on the windows.
Drilled multiple holes that had been welded up.
More.
Trimming off the old fender and repairing some damaged areas.
More.
Fitting fenders.
Dropped off the rear fender and nose panel for blasting, should have them back this week.
tygaboy
I want to come hang out and just watch you work. Looks like a really cool place...
Cairo94507
Me too! I just love seeing the work in progress. Those last 2 photos are really sweet. Kent has been all over my car making it right again. I am so glad to finally see things being squared away correctly. I can't wait for the body work to begin once all of the metal correction and fabrication is complete. beerchug.gif Thank you Kent.
JmuRiz
Who's the lucky duck with the 356 you're working on? biggrin.gif
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 20 2017, 07:09 AM) *

Who's the lucky duck with the 356 you're working on? biggrin.gif

Wish it was mine but it belongs to a customer. It's also a 64 like yours.
raynekat
Just saw the gauges you had done that you posted on Pelican.
Those are super nice looking.
You should post here too as well some time.
Continued good luck with your build....
Cairo94507
RayneKat - If that was meant for me, I have posted my gauges in this build thread. They may be in Part 1 though. But thanks a lot - I like them too.
Pics.
Pics.
Amenson
It is like watching an autopsy popcorn[1].gif

Great work, thank you for taking the time to share the pictures. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
Will you go back and solder that jamb seam when you put it together?

I'm also doing a significant amount of metal work on a 6 chassis, including the right rear quarter and jamb.
Cairo94507
Wow! popcorn[1].gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 15 2017, 06:35 AM) *

Kent has replaced a few panels because the ones we had were not in the condition or of the quality we wanted and expected for my build.

I had decided to update my original doors, which were in good condition, with later doors for the crash protection. The doors from VA, represented as in great shape, were actually badly rusted and covered in body filler. Kent had 2 late doors that were actually in great shape and so they are now on my car.

My original front fenders had been poorly body worked and had accident damage. Scotty and I sourced two replacement front fenders, represented as excellent condition. Turns out they were improperly installed and did not line up as they should and were as badly rusted as the doors. So I located 2 NOS fenders for that replacement.

The front nose on my car was in good condition, but it was a late replacement panel without the holes. Likely installed back in the 80's. We also had an early and late headlight bucket on the car. Scotty and I talked about this and decided to make the front nose correct because this build was to be as good as or better than when it left the factory. We sourced an early front nose in pretty good condition and it was installed. Turns out it was not properly installed and prior damage was never repaired before the install. During the install of that panel, damage was done to the inner front fenders, creating more issues needing addressing. This resulted in my sourcing a NOS nose for a 73-74 car which Kent "corrected" to be an early panel for my car.

The front hood on my car was in decent shape but Scott said he had a perfect hood. Turns out that hood had a lot of damage and the support frame was separated from the hood skin and never properly repaired. Kent has replaced that hood with a hood he had which I know will be perfect.

The passenger side quarter on my car had rear crash damage and Scott sectioned a new piece from a donor car at mid-fenderwell. The fitment was off by 1/4", going wide at the rear of the car and also longer than it should have been by approximately the same amount. Kent had to remove that panel and elected to do a full quarter replacement with a near prefect replacement panel from a donor car he had. Turns out we got really luck there as that panel is really in great shape.

That leaves the trunk.....I know that the trunk on my car when it left VA had visible damage in the front right corner. I believe that is a replacement trunk Scotty had. I do not know if that panel will remain or not at this point.

I don't know how to fell about that- 5 cars (possibly) gave up body parts so my Six could once again be driven and admired by many for decades to come (I hope). I take comfort that all of those cars were already parts cars or had been parted and were in storage awaiting cars that needed their parts.

I am grateful for all of the people who have generously offered up parts to help my build. I am most grateful for Kent's abilities and willingness to tackle this mess and set it right.

Cheers everyone - beerchug.gif
Michael

Thanks for sharing! I admire the work, way beyond anything I'd ever attempt.
raynekat
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 20 2017, 01:47 PM) *

RayneKat - If that was meant for me, I have posted my gauges in this build thread. They may be in Part 1 though. But thanks a lot - I like them too.

Yes, it was for you. Nice solution for multiple gauges that are needed on a six.
Progress.
More.
mb911
Looking good.. I wish I could make progress like that on my own..
Cairo94507
Kent- Those panels came out beautifully. Looking good and thanks for posting the pics. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Anyone notice anything different regarding the speedo?

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Ummmmm.....it's on the wrong side of the tach? tongue.gif

It has a reset on the front window?

More 911-ish w/o as many numbers on the face?

Trim ring is split?
mepstein
Extra digit on odometer.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 21 2017, 05:04 PM) *

Looking good.. I wish I could make progress like that on my own..

Oil tanks, heat exchangers, rocker extensions, mufflers - slacker.
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 21 2017, 03:35 PM) *

Kent- Those panels came out beautifully. Looking good and thanks for posting the pics. beerchug.gif

You are very welcome biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah - I did not want to lose the original mileage on the speedo and since my car had a logbook with it to document the mileage, I felt it necessary to upgrade to a speedo that had an extra digit. To do that I had to have the reset on the face. I also noted they removed 9 miles in the process. The face otherwise is pretty close to my original speedometer- see below:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.