Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
IronHillRestorations
Nice gauges. My "typical" 6 conversion gauge set up is standard 911 temp/OP and a fuel gauge where you've got the OP gauge, but I really like that set up too.
porschetub
Nice work,like the idea for the speedo,wow your car is coming on well after all the BS with panels and past damage.
Will you be looking to primer and paint in the early new year ?
Cairo94507
I am letting Kent set the pace. I know he has my car at the top of the list and I am very fortunate for that.
I cut open the old fender that was removed from the car to show how they can rust out from the back side.
Cairo94507
Yikes! yikes.gif
Pics.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif
IronHillRestorations
Is that a spray on paint stripper?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(914350 @ Dec 23 2017, 07:19 AM) *

I cut open the old fender that was removed from the car to show how they can rust out from the back side.

East Coast rust free....
JmuRiz
Pretty much, those west coast parts are nice. I’m lucky my car lived much of its live in TX then in garages after that
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 23 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Is that a spray on paint stripper?

Yes. I started using this a few years back and I'm very happy with it. It comes with a chemical resistant aspirator and it's thick enough to stay on vertical panels.
All the points that connect to the nose panel were in bad shape because the nose has been cut off and replaced multiple times.
Fitting panels.
Rear fender.
Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif
IronHillRestorations
Very interested as to what you do to/for the NOS front fenders (in the area that was rusted out of the old ones) Kent. I'm replacing a fender too, so I'm doubly interested to see how/if you get the old factory red primer stripped in that blind area.
Pics.
ValcoOscar
WOW Kent...you're fitting to almost aerospace tolerances!!!!

+/-.002 better than factory smilie_pokal.gif

Oh pretty good,

Oscar

QUOTE(914350 @ Dec 28 2017, 07:04 PM) *

Fitting panels.

Below the headlight buckets prior to welding on the nose panel.
Cairo94507
Oh wow! That is a step I have been dying to see. Happy New Year!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Cheers,
Michael
Progress pic.
Cairo94507
welder.gif popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif
sixnotfour
Like Neu
Rust prevention.
More pics.
Tdskip
I like that Eastwood product too, easy to use and coats well.

A bit late to the party here but great thread.
Cairo94507
Thanks and Tdskip your never to late. Thanks Kent. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
I really like that Eastwood Product.
IronHillRestorations
That answers my question! I was planning on doing the same thing to my current project.
bretth
A quick note, I saw mentioned on the 'World once before that the Eastwood spray catches fire when welding on it. I was going to coat my longs with it but I guess I would have finish all the welding on them first. Sorry to thread jack.
Tdskip
QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 9 2018, 10:19 PM) *

A quick note, I saw mentioned on the 'World once before that the Eastwood spray catches fire when welding on it. I was going to coat my longs with it but I guess I would have finish all the welding on them first. Sorry to thread jack.

Yes, goes on last. Get everything done then spray it. It will get everywhere and run out of every opening so be ready for that and have ground cover under the car.
Cairo94507
Seeing that product going on means we are getting close to welding some panels on. welder.gif popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 9 2018, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 9 2018, 10:19 PM) *

Yes, goes on last. Get everything done then spray it. It will get everywhere and run out of every opening so be ready for that and have ground cover under the car.

Hi guys thanks for the concern but it's not gong to catch fire. I will spray it again once it's welded on the car. All area's that will be welded will be completely cleaned to metal prior to welding. This was a good way to coat this area prior to welding the fender on the car, it allowed me to move the fender around and get the coating in to all the pinch welds. Yes I like this product too. biggrin.gif
Tdskip
Hi Kent, just to be extra clear that was in no way intended to suggest you didn't know how to do use it!

I was just trying to confirm for the other member that you don't want this on a surface that you will be welding to. Near? Sure. On a surface to be welded, no because exactly as you wrote it needs to be clean metal.

Getting it into surfaces that will be hard to reach once installed is a smart move, and of course why you are doing it now.

Sorry if I was vague to a point where it read like I was trying to criticize or coach you, that is most certainly NOT the case.

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 10 2018, 04:32 AM) *

Hi Kent, just to be extra clear that was in no way intended to suggest you didn't know how to do use it!

I was just trying to confirm for the other member that you don't want this on a surface that you will be welding to. Near? Sure. On a surface to be welded, no because exactly as you wrote it needs to be clean metal.

Getting it into surfaces that will be hard to reach once installed is a smart move, and of course why you are doing it now.

Sorry if I was vague to a point where it read like I was trying to criticize or coach you, that is most certainly NOT the case.

Understood Tom, I was just clarifying why I treated those areas prior to install. Your right, the car will get sprayed in all areas prior to paint.

Hope you find a good 914 soon. Good to see that your doing your homework. PM me if I can help.
bretth
Ditto I was not questioning the master craftmanship going on here. Just warning others.
QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 10 2018, 06:34 AM) *

Ditto I was not questioning the master craftmanship going on here. Just warning others.

Hi Bretth, thanks I saw it that way. Good to share that. Keep the fire extinguishers close, things can go wrong. smile.gif
Headlight bucket brace.
Pic.
siverson
What a disaster. It looks like the radius is kind of messed up in the middle there. It's going to look horrible once painted. I'd start over.
Larmo63
It looks kinda flimsy with all of those holes all over too.

I'd weld those all up for strength. KMA.gif
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif

I am awaiting a reply from Scotty to see if he has been able to locate my crossmember. I ended up getting one from a 4, not the 6 one. I didn't realize the difference until Jim spotted it. Apparently the 4's are more rounded and the 6's are more squared off. Hopefully Scotty was able to locate it.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914350 @ Jan 13 2018, 02:43 PM) *

Headlight bucket brace.

Could someone take be to school here please? Do these usually tear?

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 13 2018, 02:23 PM) *

Headlight bucket brace.

Actually this bucket and brace were previously replaced with one off of a car from a later year. The later ones have this notch in them, someone else might know why. I have my thoughts but...
I welded it up so it appears correct.
QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 13 2018, 01:25 PM) *

What a disaster. It looks like the radius is kind of messed up in the middle there. It's going to look horrible once painted. I'd start over.

agree.gif biggrin.gif
Blue6
Kent, don't start over. Just call me. I'll be there in about an hour and walk you through it. av-943.gif . See ya tomorrow at Bananawennie's
Cairo94507
You guys have fun today; I will be there next weekend. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(914350 @ Jan 13 2018, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 13 2018, 02:23 PM) *

Headlight bucket brace.

Actually this bucket and brace were previously replaced with one off of a car from a later year. The later ones have this notch in them, someone else might know why. I have my thoughts but...
I welded it up so it appears correct.

It looks fantastic. Don't want to take away from the magic, but when I do these things and am lucky enough to have them look good on the top side, I worry about the underside. Did that come out smooth too? Not that it matters a lot, but it is a challenge for an amateur like me. Of course filler helps, and in that situation I think it justified. Looks like access is easier with the front off.
sixnotfour
had it at one time 1st thread photo
Cairo94507
Is that a picture of my front end parts when it was first removed at Scotty's? If that is the case, that is the correct crossmember for a Six, right? I wish I had a pic of the two; 4 and 6 side by side.

(after comparing photos of a 4 and 6 cross member, one can clearly see the ends of my crossmember, removed from my car, are indeed squared off and correct for a 6.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.