Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Cairo94507
Q-tip is generally OK with me. I just prefer not to be a Q-ball. But I am sure that too will come. beerchug.gif As for color, Audi has a color, Nardo Grey, that my wife and I absolutely love....just saying. biggrin.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 22 2018, 09:38 AM) *

They are not. Scotty made that panel and pressed the louvers in and then cut out the original trunk floor and welded that panel in. It is a nice panel and we kept it. The oil cooler (Patrick Motor Sports unit) will mount vertically against the front nose and then be covered by an aluminum shroud to direct air coming through the front of the cooler out through those lovers under the car after passing through the cooler. Should keep the engine plenty cool.

Thanks
Luke M
Looking good there guys.. Another question for you Kent.
What do you plan on doing for the right rear corner above the tail light?
Where the large piece of seam sealer went.
Filling it back up or ?

Keep up the great work.
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 23 2018, 08:54 AM) *

Looking good there guys.. Another question for you Kent.
What do you plan on doing for the right rear corner above the tail light?
Where the large piece of seam sealer went.
Filling it back up or ?

Keep up the great work.

I won't put the foam and seam sealer back in like factory, that does a better job of keeping moisture in then it does keeping it out. I spray sealer back in that area then brush in seam sealer then urethane undercoating and paint. At least the foam isn't there to hold moisture against the metal.
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 22 2018, 01:26 PM) *

Is this what the door gap should look like with the shell unloaded with weight? If so, I'll set mine the same way when welding my stiffening kits in.
Click to view attachment

That gap actually appears tighter in that pic then it does in person. I don't know if it's because the door was slightly open or just the lighting. There are many things that can effect the gap even when you get into assembly so it's hard to say. I've heard 6mm is what the gap should be but that's nearly a 1/4" and that's a large looking gap on these cars. I go for 5mm but again there are Many things to consider and there's no quick explanation. Make sure your "F, H and G" measurements are correct otherwise with the rubber installed it can push the door gap and make it tight. Oh and yes measure measure measure on these builds and stress is normal it helps make sure you do it right. biggrin.gif
Pics.
More progress pics.
Cairo94507
Great work on that driver's quarter panel. That damage appeared to be an old dent. Also very happy to see the space-saver arrived so the proper mounting and support can be fabbed up.

And that is not my actual wheel. Harvey (Weidman) told me mounting a space-saver tire on an early deep-six wheel is a real pain in the butt. Then you have to cut the space-saver in half to remove it from the rim. So he sent the space-saver mounted to a late deep six as the tire comes off easier. The dimensions are the exact same as it relates to everything else so when my wheel arrives with the space-saver it will fit perfectly. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
After I returned from L.A. I got a call from Jim as he was going through my parts. He identified some of the recently plated parts we apparently did not get when I picked up my car. Fortunately, we had a picture Scotty posted in Part 1 of my thread, (page 36, post 708) that showed all of the plated parts. We were able to identify the 6-specific parts we were missing. I circled them and identified them by name and scanned and emailed Scott those pictures.

Additionally, unfortunately, the rear bumper Scott had swapped me for my good condition chrome bumper is so badly pitted the chrome shop said they would not attempt to chrome it. To be fair, I knew my original chrome bumper would be re-chromed regardless. I asked Scott to weld up and metal finish the tow hook hole on it. Scott explained he had a painted bumper in good shape that would be easier to weld and then have plated. I agreed, having not seen that bumper. He welded up the hole and metal finished it. I cannot use it due to the pitting. So I have asked Scotty to return my original chrome bumper.

I hope to hear from Scott soon that he has located my missing parts and is shipping them to me.
More progress pics.
More pics.
More.
sixnotfour
Whole Again...color ????????????????????
Cairo94507
I know.... I see some front fenders....but I do not believe they are completely welded on yet. But thank God and Kent the rear of the car is squared away and I believe the metal work is done back there. Pretty soon now all metal work will be finished and then comes body work biggrin.gif .
sixnotfour
I font know looks good.....
Cairo94507
I can't really express how relieved I am that my Six is getting straightened out and will soon be ready for some color. beerchug.gif
raynekat
It's looking really good. Congrats....must be relief on many levels.
ConeDodger
I’m told by John at EASY that the 944 Turbo (and I’d imagine the S2 since they’re the same chassis) have the lightest spare wheel in 5 lug. And it’s alloy so you could polish it. Probably sell that deep six Fuchs wheel and pay off the rest of your project the way early Fuchs prices have been going! blink.gif

What??? Your’re thinking of painting a real six chassis in a non-original color? There’s a rule against that somewhere! evilgrin.gif
rgalla9146
That's not a deep six.....but I agree about the color.... if you must change it, do stay with a color from that year.
mepstein
Looking really good Michael. Huge difference from the east coast massacre.
burton73
I have the same spare set up for 41 reg15 Fuchs because of the look. Next, everyone dogs you on the color of your 6. I went with Cannery Yellow because that is what it came with but now I am sorry I did not go for metallic light blue. My favorite color. You have made some changes to your car that may take away from it’s total max value but what the hell. Enjoy it all the time. Life is too short.

Bob B
rolleyes.gif
Dion
Car is coming together nicely Mike. Congrats. Looking good.
Cairo94507
Thanks everyone. That rim is not my rim; it is just a test fit wheel. The finished deep six will go in the trunk- wheel face out.

I got over the whole color thing years ago - I mean, heck it was in VA for 5 years and 1 month. That gave me lots of time to consider color. So- that is a done deal.

My BP has gone down a lot since my car has been in Kent's shop. My car has only been there 5 months total and look at all of the work Kent has accomplished. I am very pleased with the results.

Cheers - beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
Life is too short.

beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Sorry if I missed it but are you you adding any additional stiffening bracing to the tub?
Cairo94507
Tdskip - the only bracing that was added was the bracing kit in the interior of the tub. Look in my Part 1 thread for that. Kent has to clean it up still and correct a couple installation issues from the VA shop, but that is all the bracing my car needs.
Progress pics.
mepstein
WTF? That piece only belongs there if Michael was going to install late ‘75-76 bumpers.
More pics.
Cairo94507
OK - Mark figured it out. For the added protection while driving in the crazy state of CA, we decided to add the BUB's to the car......
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 5 2018, 05:36 PM) *

OK - Mark figured it out. For the added protection while driving in the crazy state of CA, we decided to add the BUB's to the car......

Front dating the early 911’s was popular in the 80’s. headbang.gif
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 5 2018, 02:36 PM) *

...Plus they look good on gold cars. poke.gif
Cairo94507
And there's that.....
KELTY360
Is it April 1st already? screwy.gif
Blue6
Michael,
If you are going to use the late black bumpers (BUB's), I think silver would look good. You can also leave it in primer if you can't find a good painter. Hell, it's been in primer for 6 yrs....
Cairo94507
True enough. Actually, it was in primer, then allowed to rust.... then it came to Kent's and it has been all good since then. I was actually considering silver for a minute but as straight as this car is now, it would look bitchin in black. After all, it was black when I bought it.
mb911
Black is awesome.. You have my vote..
championgt1
Gold biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Keeping it gold with updated BUBs would be a great look.

Super idea!
Cairo94507
Click to view attachment

A little update photo of the vertical space-saver mount in development.
Pics of spare tire mount.
More pics.
mepstein
looks factory
Cairo94507
Kent's skills on display yet again. beerchug.gif
mb911
Looks great..

Kind of funny how quickly we were all watching the rebuilding of a basket case to now the fine details of chassis work within 4 or 5 months.. Amazing progress and I do need to remind myself that this is being done in a shop to put timelines in perspective on my build..

JmuRiz
Wow, you could make a batch of those spare tire mounts and sell all of them in a couple hours!!! Are the screws just to hold it before it's welded in?

I'm trying to run a rear cooler on mine, but if I need to go front...that spare mount and a front cooler shroud would be awesome!!!
Luke M
[quote name='JmuRiz' date='Feb 8 2018, 07:59 AM' post='2576471']
Wow, you could make a batch of those spare tire mounts and sell all of them in a couple hours!!!

I agree and would buy two of them right now..
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 8 2018, 06:59 AM) *

Wow, you could make a batch of those spare tire mounts and sell all of them in a couple hours!!! Are the screws just to hold it before it's welded in?

I'm trying to run a rear cooler on mine, but if I need to go front...that spare mount and a front cooler shroud would be awesome!!!

Yeah, the screws are the to hold it in place for welding.
[quote name='Luke M' date='Feb 8 2018, 08:15 AM' post='2576502']
Wow, you could make a batch of those spare tire mounts and sell all of them in a couple hours!!!

[/quote]

Wish I had the time. sad.gif
mb911
[quote name='914350' date='Feb 8 2018, 12:05 PM' post='2576596']
[quote name='Luke M' date='Feb 8 2018, 08:15 AM' post='2576502']

[/quote]

Wish I had the time. sad.gif
[/quote]

Send me your patterns and I will make a bunch..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.