Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
JmuRiz
QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 24 2018, 01:38 PM) *

Does the previous guy (Scotty B) still have a car restoration it seems ,reading this thread and the original one that he wasn’t any good at all

He still has a shop and his shop worker isn’t there anymore. I had my car done when it was just Scotty, it was a quick job and it looks great to me. I also have longhood and 356 friends that have concourse winning cars done by him. The issues have come up whenever he tried to find a good helper for his one man operation or when he was laid up with a nasty illness a few years back.
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 24 2018, 11:09 PM) *

Does the previous guy (Scotty B) still have a car restoration it seems ,reading this thread and the original one that he wasn’t any good at all

He still has a shop and his shop worker isn’t there anymore. I had my car done when it was just Scotty, it was a quick job and it looks great to me. I also have longhood and 356 friends that have concourse winning cars done by him. The issues have come up whenever he tried to find a good helper for his one man operation or when he was laid up with a nasty illness a few years back.

I guess if we go with the assumption that Scotty stood by, taking pictures and writing first person commentary on Michael's restoration over a five year period while his assistant mangled every bit of work to the car. OK, that works.

Actually, Scott did tell me multiple times to my face that he was the only one working on Michael's and my car. He said his assistant was learning but just did smaller jobs, paint removal and prep, ect. Even if it was the assistant doing the work, Scott lives in a room above his shop. Surely in the 5 years Michael's car was there, he must have peeked at the work.
Cairo94507
JmuRiz - I sent you a PM.
Cairo94507
Mark is right. But everyone already knows that. I was absolutely assured from day one he would be the only one to ever work on my car. We now know that was not the case - apparently.

This was a very, very expensive lesson for me. I trusted someone who came highly recommended by several senior members of this forum. I conducted my due diligence and was still taken advantage of in the end. After 61 months I pulled my car from his shop. I blame no one but myself.

I was fortunate to pull my car out when I did. That Jim, Kent and Andy had followed my thread and reached out to me was just the luckiest day ever. We have all seen the work Kent and Jim have done. Kent has turned my car into an absolutely laser straight beauty which sets the bar for any restoration, IMHO. Jim is getting all of my parts ready for assembly. His skill, knowledge and attention to detail is amazing. Everything is bagged and properly stored once ready for install. This is the level of work I expected when the word "restoration" was used. Thank you again Kent and Jim. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Disclosure is a GOOD thing. That an 'apprentice' might have been doing the work would have had my blood boiling.
jmitro
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but can you guys put the bashing and negativity to rest? I really enjoy seeing your car going back together so well, but the side story that has been stated over and over and over again is really detracting from the beauty of the work being done. I don't know the parties involved and frankly don't care.

Glad to see it looking so good now. beerchug.gif

what is the patchy color on the body? a guide coat for block sanding?
Cairo94507
jmitro - Sorry. I have been pretty careful about "bashing" the former shop. I am sorry if occasionally a little, and I mean a very little, bleeds out. If that bothers you, and I understand that, feel free to skip past that stuff and just enjoy the pictures. However, I would feel somewhat responsible if anyone else to fall prey to that situation, there or elsewhere.

As to the comments of others, some who may know more than they let on, I can not control that. As for people who have seen my car at Kent's shop, they know the condition of the car first hand, seeing it with their own eyes. Pictures are nice, but in person reveals the truth.

I do appreciate your comments re the quality of the work my car is now enjoying. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 25 2018, 08:06 AM) *

jmitro - Sorry. I have been pretty careful about "bashing" the former shop. I am sorry if occasionally a little, and I mean a very little, bleeds out. If that bothers you, and I understand that, feel free to skip past that stuff and just enjoy the pictures. However, I would feel somewhat responsible if anyone else to fall prey to that situation, there or elsewhere.

As to the comments of others, some who may know more than they let on, I can not control that. As for people who have seen my car at Kent's shop, they know the condition of the car first hand, seeing it with their own eyes. Pictures are nice, but in person reveals the truth.

I do appreciate your comments re the quality of the work my car is now enjoying. beerchug.gif

Complain all you want, Cairo. I believe you've paid for that right, in full. Most people would consider this a Public Service Announcement. Carry on. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks.
jmitro
it should be a concours contender after this. I only wish I had that kind of skill
beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(jmitro @ Mar 25 2018, 12:24 PM) *

it should be a concours contender after this. I only wish I had that kind of skill
beerchug.gif

Me too.. It is all about experience and the correct mentors. I imagine that Kent was shown the tricks of the trade but another craftsman that passed along all these great skills.

Blue6
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 24 2018, 08:09 PM) *

I heard the sun got in his eyes also... bs.gif
Larmo63
"Complain all you want, Cairo. I believe you've paid for that right, in full. Most people would consider this a Public Service Announcement. Carry on. beer3.gif"

I couldn't agree more, Kent.
Peashooter
Having restored a six from a bare tub a few years back, I've been watching this thread from the start. Kudos to you for staying with the reconstruction of your car! I know how hard it can be to keep going when the the only solid thing you have is a vision in your mind of what you want the end result to be. I'm happy that you finally found someone(Kent) that sees the same goal. I can't imagine how much $ you will have invested in this project, but I'm sure you will love the end result!
Cairo94507
Thanks a lot. Yeah, it is a bag full for sure. However the money that goes to Kent is actually a pleasure.
Hood stripped.
Cairo94507
Glad Kent did that. Knowing what he found under the material on the hood headbang.gif , we would have experienced problems with the paint failing shortly after the car was completed otherwise.
Hood and deck lid are worked and primered.
tygaboy
Kent is IN THE HOOD!
...and the trunk, too, apparently!

lol-2.gif

What a lucky car that is...
Cairo94507
I agree - my Six finally hit the jackpot. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Here is a quick picture of all of the sheet metal Kent removed and/or replaced on my car to get it to the point it is now. The final count was both front fenders, passenger side (rear) quarter panel, nose, plus a lot of other small stuff.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Even Kent's scrap pile is neat and tidy! That's a lot of metal, but it could have been worse. Ask me how I know. wacko.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 2 2018, 05:41 PM) *

Even Kent's scrap pile is neat and tidy! That's a lot of metal, but it could have been worse. Ask me how I know. wacko.gif

To be fair bbrock you and I didn't remove much "metal" it was more rust. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Just to make sure everything is good with the motor that was rebuilt by a great guy, longtime Pelican, it few years ago, I think 2014, it is going to a shop near Jim for them to check it all out and complete the build and bench fire the engine. I want to be sure that when it goes into my car, it stays in the car. No leaks, etc.

I am going to ask them to look over the induction/injection and clean up the intake by removing any bosses we will not need for my application. It is an '87 3.2 motor with 964 cams, a Steve Wong custom chip and of course I have Ben's full exhaust system. I want all of the brackets re-plated and all hoses replaced, etc. Then your normal engine stuff, cap, wires, plugs, etc. I want it set up so when we pick it up we just install it and turn the key - no fuss, no muss.

We are taking the transaxle and related clutch, flywheel stuff with the motor too. I have to remember to take the full exhaust too as they requested that for firing it up too. That way it will all be mated together and we will know we have no issues at assembly.

Kind of an exciting part of this project. When I next go down to L.A. I will meet with the engine shop on May 11th to go over everything. This shop comes with a solid recommendation from Jim. That is the only endorsement I need.

Click to view attachment
Here is a pic for fun:

billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 5 2018, 03:43 PM) *

Just to make sure everything is good with the motor that was rebuilt by a great guy, longtime Pelican, it few years ago, I think 2014, it is going to a shop near Jim for them to check it all out and complete the build and bench fire the engine. I want to be sure that when it goes into my car, it stays in the car. No leaks, etc.

Bruce rebuilt three 911 engines for me....he does good work!

Hopefully, none of the seals have dried out after sitting for so long.
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 5 2018, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 5 2018, 03:43 PM) *

Bruce rebuilt three 911 engines for me....he does good work!

Hopefully, none of the seals have dried out after sitting for so long.

agree.gif he’s a friend of mine and a really nice guy.
Cairo94507
The shop in VA promised me the engine would be turned over by hand every month...... what are the chances he did that? Based upon everything else, I am less than optimistic.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 5 2018, 04:31 PM) *

The shop in VA promised me the engine would be turned over by hand every month...... what are the chances he did that? Based upon everything else, I am less than optimistic.

When mine was there, it sat in the corner collecting dirt for two years.
mb911
I hope for the best on all of that. I am finishing up the muffler brackets this coming week. Also let me know if any issues arise.. Its seems with multiple applications everyone runs some iteration og someone elses setup and that causes differences in clearence for the exhaust.. Also made another wall hanger. Gonna send you this one until I perfect the others.Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Mark - Exactly what I have come to expect. Ben - I really appreciate that.
NOS battery tray. Blasted hood hinges.
More pics.
Cairo94507
Thanks for the pics Kent. beerchug.gif
Blue6
Kent,
Quit posting nudes of that poor car. How about putting some “gold” clothing on her. biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
evilgrin.gif
IPB Image
Tdskip
Dealing with items like hood hinges is a very good sign.
Cairo94507
Right?
At some point someone welded in a long stiffening kit and welded over the seatbelt hole on the passenger side. I located it and drilled a hole then flushed the metal so that the belt can float/rotate as it should.
Cairo94507
Thanks for correcting that work -
Working on cleaning up some of the holes that were previously cut in the long for the oil lines and to add some strength back to this area.
Cairo94507
Kent that looks like it is going to be perfect. Thanks. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914350 @ Apr 13 2018, 07:27 PM) *

Worthing on cleaning up some of the holes that were previously cut in the long for the oil lines and to add some strength back to this area.

Looks great. I think Scott Amerson would call the opening an attack from an angry beaver.
Mueller
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2018, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(914350 @ Apr 13 2018, 07:27 PM) *

Worthing on cleaning up some of the holes that were previously cut in the long for the oil lines and to add some strength back to this area.

Looks great. I think Scott Amerson would call the opening an attack from an angry beaver.

Not even my car and that cut angered me!

Nice cover plate.

Cairo94507
Yeah, and I paid for that....
Larmo63
We will all know that the hole WAS there though............ sawzall-smiley.gif
Pics.
tygaboy
All the way down to the last detail...

Kent, I'm changing the name of your shop to "Relentless Restorations"

The attention to the smallest detail is beyond impressive.
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 19 2018, 07:08 AM) *

All the way down to the last detail...

Kent, I'm changing the name of your shop to "Relentless Restorations"

The attention to the smallest detail is beyond impressive.

Hahaha...I like that. Thanks man.
Pics.
More pics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.