Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
More
A lot of work went into the hinge mount. Stripped off all the plating, tapped out the body of the hinge (round) removing the waves left from the stamping process and plannished the foot on each side to make a flat solid foot and rounded the foot slightly like the originals. I brazed in the bung and lapped the mating surface. A great piece to start with for sure but just dialed it in.
Cairo94507
Next World level work. Most times when I look into an engine bay and see the trunk hinges I cringe as the welds holding the hinge mount look so bad. I know this will look very nice- the hinge mount looks beautiful. beerchug.gif
Luke M
welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Pics
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif
Progress.
bbrock
Oh this is going to really make me mad. I've done this same repair and I know I'm about to be shamed. smile.gif popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 23 2018, 06:50 PM) *

Oh this is going to really make me mad. I've done this same repair and I know I'm about to be shamed. smile.gif popcorn[1].gif

^this is why when I start to do body work on my car my camera will be tucked away in a cup of frozen water in the freezer to prevent me from taking a quick picture and embarrassing myself.
mb911
Gt oil line passage way.. Looking good
David Billo
QUOTE(914350 @ Aug 23 2017, 08:04 PM) *

Got the Six on the Jig today. I'll see you on Sat. And we'll go over the car. I just got the 911 done and back to Tony Callas today so I'm ready to dig into your Six now. I should have the parts back from media blasting by friday.

All the suspension points etc. lined up great on the Jig as expected, the car hasn't been in any major accents.

Kent, what is the tubing size of your jig? It looks like 3x3.
QUOTE(David Billo @ Apr 25 2018, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(914350 @ Aug 23 2017, 08:04 PM) *

Got the Six on the Jig today. I'll see you on Sat. And we'll go over the car. I just got the 911 done and back to Tony Callas today so I'm ready to dig into your Six now. I should have the parts back from media blasting by friday.

All the suspension points etc. lined up great on the Jig as expected, the car hasn't been in any major accents.

Kent, what is the tubing size of your jig? It looks like 3x3.

Yep, 3x3 .120 wall.
Blocking panels.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
Larmo63
As usual, Kent's fix is excellent and perfect.

Does he walk on water too? confused24.gif
Blocked and primered.
Mike Bellis
That thing is going to look great in gold... beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I know. agree.gif beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 1 2018, 04:09 PM) *

I know. agree.gif beerchug.gif

Wow blocking off panels...things are moving ahead Michael pleased for you,its been a journey.
Considering the quality of the bare metal finish there shouldn't be too much flatting of the primer for the tub.
Have you got the paint codes for the gold yet biggrin.gif .
Cairo94507
Thanks; yup Kent has the code and is ready when the time comes. beerchug.gif
Progress. Someone had cut a large hole for running oil cooler lines.

tygaboy
Beautiful, simply beautiful. smilie_pokal.gif
bbrock
I suspect sorcery is at play here. Anyone who has attempted this kind of repair knows how freakin' hard that is. Simply amazing! pray.gif
Tdskip
Thanks for the updates
mb911
Looks great.. I love the quality.. And even better the updates .. I find it hard to detail mine in a timely manner or as comprehensive as your doing..
Cairo94507
I can absolutely, positively tell everyone, when my car left CA it had no such hole. When it arrived at Kent's shop 5 years 1 month later, that hole was there. So......

That repair is stunningly beautiful. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Fixing where clutch cable housing/tube had broken loose.
More.
Drilled holes and plug welded in from the back, also bracket is welded in the front and tube is silicon bronzed to the bracket.
Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(914350 @ May 2 2018, 04:10 PM) *

Drilled holes and plug welded in from the back, also bracket is welded in the front and tube is silicon bronzed to the bracket.

Sure is prettier than the repair I did with a MIG welder and blindly pulling the trigger smile.gif
raynekat
Yes....very nifty repair work.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 2 2018, 05:56 PM) *

Yes....very nifty repair work.

Agree! Nifty, and as usual not visible when done. Beautiful!
white914.jpg
Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 2 2018, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(914350 @ May 2 2018, 04:10 PM) *

Sure is prettier than the repair I did with a MIG welder and blindly pulling the trigger smile.gif

It's prettier than the repair I did and I had the floor pan off the car!
Was missing one so I made one and gooped it in.
bbrock
QUOTE(914350 @ May 3 2018, 11:34 AM) *

Hey Kent, I need to make one of those too. Did you punch that out or ????
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 3 2018, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(914350 @ May 3 2018, 11:34 AM) *

Hey Kent, I need to make one of those too. Did you punch that out or ????

No I don't have a punch that large so I cut it with shears and finished the edges on the sander.
mb911
Could also use a hole saw in a drill press if needed..
siverson
This is getting a bit ridiculous now!!!

-Steve
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 01:01 PM) *

Could also use a hole saw in a drill press if needed..

That's the route I was headed but you tend to get just enough wobble on the saw to require dressing the edge, so I was thinking hand shear and sanding. Nice to see how well they turn out, but then again, it's Kent, so my mileage may vary. dry.gif
Cairo94507
I saw a comment a while ago about cars being pieced together, etc. and it got me to thinking. poke.gif So..... Kent has done a lot of work on my Six to correct old accident damage as well as work not done to the standard expected. I know some people may get upset when they see a car that has had panels replaced, perhaps feeling somehow that makes it less of a car. And I would generally agree with that premise if the work were not done to the level we have all seen Kent do. So, though my Six has undergone extensive surgery, in my opinion, all of Kent's work has been done to such a high level that even the Porsche factory would approve and consider my Six's metal work restored to "like original" condition.

This car is 48 years old and time, rust and accidents take their toll. When restoring these cars, we just have to do the best we are able to do. I want this car to represent the 914-6 model for years to come and long after I am gone. I believe that is the standard to which we are building my Six.

I want to thank Kent publicly for accepting my car into his shop to correct all of the bad work my Six presented upon arrival. Because believe me, whatever pictures we have posted only scratch the surface of the issues Kent had to deal with. I think it's twice as much work to correct bad work as it is is to just restore an old damaged car. Kent tackled my Six with enthusiasm, dedication and a skill-set I never dreamed existed. A skill set necessary to correct everything and give me, in my opinion, the perfect chassis, the chassis I wanted from day 1. first.gif I can't wait to see color on my Six. beerchug.gif

I am still working to resolve my business with the old shop amicably. I hope that works out. beer3.gif
JeffBowlsby
This /6 should belong in a 6 sided, temp controlled, fully mirrored room for eternity, and never driven. It sets the standard as high art.

Just polish and 6-8 coats of clear on the chassis - forget paint.
Cairo94507
Hi Jeff- This one will be driven. I will keep it nice, no driving in the rain, but it will be driven. beerchug.gif
db9146
I'm probably going to need a shoulder and maybe a knee replacement in a few years. I'm kinda thinkin' I should book with Kent rather than my current ortho surgeon after looking through these pics!!!

If only I turned out as well after surgery!!!

banananose914
QUOTE(siverson @ May 3 2018, 12:06 PM) *

-Steve

What does that mean?
mb911
QUOTE(banananose914 @ May 3 2018, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ May 3 2018, 12:06 PM) *

-Steve

What does that mean?

I am guessing over the top details in the build.. I think it would be over the top for my conversion car but if I had this car this is exactly what I would do..

This is so exciting for us to watch from all over the world.m very nice .. Keep the updates coming.
bbrock
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 3 2018, 06:11 PM) *

I saw a comment a while ago about cars being pieced together, etc. and it got me to thinking. poke.gif So..... Kent has done a lot of work on my Six to correct old accident damage as well as work not done to the standard expected. I know some people may get upset when they see a car that has had panels replaced, perhaps feeling somehow that makes it less of a car. And I would generally agree with that premise if the work were not done to the level we have all seen Kent do. So, though my Six has undergone extensive surgery, in my opinion, all of Kent's work has been done to such a high level that even the Porsche factory would approve and consider my Six's metal work restored to "like original" condition.

agree.gif This is the restoration nearly all others can only dream about. This level of "piecing together" is really no different than what the factory did when they pieced the cars together at the start. It's going to be hard for anyone to find evidence that Kent was even in there. That's the unrealistic vision I had for my own build, but lack the skills to achieve. It's inspirational to watch someone actually do it. first.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks Brent, I appreciate that. beerchug.gif
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 3 2018, 05:11 PM) *

This car is 48 years old and time, rust and accidents take their toll. When restoring these cars, we just have to do the best we are able to do. I want this car to represent the 914-6 model for years to come and long after I am gone. I believe that is the standard to which we are building my Six.

I want to thank Kent publicly for accepting my car into his shop to correct all of the bad work my Six presented upon arrival. Because believe me, whatever pictures we have posted only scratch the surface of the issues Kent had to deal with. I think it's twice as much work to correct bad work as it is is to just restore an old damaged car. Kent tackled my Six with enthusiasm, dedication and a skill-set I never dreamed existed. A skill set necessary to correct everything and give me, in my opinion, the perfect chassis, the chassis I wanted from day 1. first.gif I can't wait to see color on my Six. beerchug.gif

I am still working to resolve my business with the old shop amicably. I hope that works out. beer3.gif

You are very welcome Mike. I'm glad to be apart of this restoration.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.