Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Cairo94507
Don't worry, I will make it known when we post a picture of the car with some color on it. I am sure that is forthcoming. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
Fathers Day paint ??
Cairo94507
That would be cool. beerchug.gif
Valy
Summer solstice is coming - the GOLDEN sun is going to shine longer that day.
Just saying.
Cairo94507
Sounds like a plan. beerchug.gif
SixerJ
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 9 2018, 12:16 AM) *

Summer solstice is coming - the GOLDEN sun is going to shine longer that day.
Just saying.

If going gold then got to be heavy metallic flake for even more reflecotoshinyness..... :drooley

Waiting patiently for the actual w00t.gif ‘reveal’
billh1963
Any updates?
sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif icon_bump.gif
Larmo63
I'm GREEN with envy...........
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif confused24.gif beerchug.gif
siverson
Bump...
worn
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 22 2018, 03:15 PM) *

Bump...

Gold!
Cairo94507
So we have some progress pictures. Kent is down to the little stuff now as he approaches the finish line of the metal and body work, preparing to shoot the color soon (I think):

Kent welded up many of the holes that the sill plates plastic rivets into as these get drilled out and larger over the years. The car is now almost completely in second primer and many areas have been dialed in.

Click to view attachment

This is the hole for mounting the bolster pad and it was screwed up. Kent welded it up and will drill a new hole. Kent is working at a high level on these detailed corrections.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
The blocking continues as we get closer to paint. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Looks very nice....and smooth. shades.gif

Be back on the road in no time.
sixnotfour
Kent missed a few holes on the front of the fender beer.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah, strangely, I have come to like the warts. Also, I have really tried to keep the car appearing stock so as people look at it they will have a hard time discerning any "improvements". beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 26 2018, 09:32 AM) *

Yeah, strangely, I have come to like the warts. Also, I have really tried to keep the car appearing stock so as people look at it they will have a hard time discerning any "improvements". beerchug.gif

Yes, growing to like those warts is strange indeed, but in this case, I agree with leaving them on. beer.gif
sixnotfour
keeping the thread alive......waiting for color.....I like fender tits better than warts
Cairo94507
Tits....... lol-2.gif
sixnotfour
Red-White-Blue popcorn[1].gif
happy independence day
Ah the little stuff.
Cairo94507
So I am guessing that is the small tab for the rear bumper pad....maybe? Very cool that we are finally down to the minutia. I will be going down to L.A. on Saturday the 14th to see the car- can't wait to see it. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Just looking at that thing hurts. I tore three pairs of pants on mine and cut my thigh open each time before I finally wrapped it in enough tape to make it safe to walk around.
altitude411
QUOTE(914350 @ Jul 5 2018, 06:18 PM) *

Ah the little stuff.

Its what separates the classes. Respect to you Mr. Kent. beerchug.gif

* thought this was the reveal post. anxiety... wacko.gif
Cairo94507
So Kent wanted to change the way the oil cooler and the shroud attaches. He welded up these holes and will work some cool magic.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
We are getting closer to color.....

So the seam of the the top of the roll bar and the sail panel looked bad before. That was not Scott's work- that was how the car was when I got it. Covered by the chrome trim, but it needed to be corrected. Kent took care of it.
Click to view attachment

As you can see it now looks perfect.
Click to view attachment

So then Kent moved on to the cowl that had some waves and it is now perfect
Click to view attachment

Then came the windshield surround, A-pillars- one of the few areas of the car that really did not need any metal work.
Click to view attachment

Here is the deck lid straight and flat and ready for the next step.
Click to view attachment

The body has been primed and blocked twice now and is looking great.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
billh1963
Color can't be far behind!!!!!
rhodyguy
I can't figure out how he keeps the shop so clean. Multiple coats and sandings. Full time job with the shopvac.
Cairo94507
Yeah, I know. Kent's shop is exactly what you would expect based upon the work you see. That's the way it should be. The first time I walked into his shop I relaxed and knew I was in the right place.
SixerJ
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 10 2018, 07:42 PM) *

Yeah, I know. Kent's shop is exactly what you would expect based upon the work you see. That's the way it should be. The first time I walked into his shop I relaxed and knew I was in the right place.

Rare to find someone like Kent, over here all the body and paint guys seem to be bat s*it crazy w00t2.gif too many chems over too many years I guess

Car is looking great and testimony to persistence and commitment from both of you

Looking forward to the colour reveal drooley.gif
Cairo94507
SixerJ - Thank you very much. I am glad you are enjoying the build. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
So I was down to Kent's shop, Auto Art Customs, to see my car and catch up on the progress. Kent has been busy nailing down all of the little issues that may often be overlooked when a car is completely redone. I am just amazed at the level of craftsmanship he brings to the table. Here are some pictures, but it is difficult to really see the detail in photos:

914forme
drooley.gif
Larmo63
People will be reading and studying this and other restoration threads of Kent's for years.
Cairo94507
That is my hope. When you look up "Craftsmanship" in the dictionary (or Google it for the younger crowd) you should see Kent's face.

billh1963
It will be shame to put paint on that beer.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 16 2018, 09:07 AM) *

That is my hope. When you look up "Craftsmanship" in the dictionary (or Google it for the younger crowd) you should see Kent's face.

Sounds like he's the "gold standard" then... or paint code 88 standard. L97G for the 4 crowd.

It does look incredible. Top notch work.
Cairo94507
I would have really liked to have left it all in metal finish and just cleared it. It looked so cool like that.
db9146
Now if Kent had just replaced all the body panels with stainless steel......
r_towle
What are the bronze pipes?
If oil cooler runs, can you show the transition from the outer Long into the front trunk?

Also, what are your thoughts on vibration and tubing cracking over time?
billh1963
I'm sure those are the brass oil cooler lines going to the front mounted oil cooler
Tdskip
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 17 2018, 05:40 AM) *

I'm sure those are the brass oil cooler lines going to the front mounted oil cooler

+1

These might Ben's lines, which if so are basically identical to the factory original ones which seem to last OK.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 17 2018, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 17 2018, 05:40 AM) *

+1

These might Ben's lines, which if so are basically identical to the factory original ones which seem to last OK.

Those lines came from PMB a while ago. 911's use similar brass lines up the long to feed the front cooler but 911 lines are longer with some 90 degree bends. The biggest issue with them is not cracking but guys or shops jacking up the car and crushing the line.
sixnotfour
those brass lines are the 3rd to last set I made
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 17 2018, 04:50 AM) *

those brass lines are the 3rd to last set I made

agree.gif

Mine are stainless but some have plated them..
siverson
Just paint this thing already!!!
Cairo94507
XYZ
Valy
Man, that gold in the engine bay really pops out!
mb911
Everyday I look to see what color it will be..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.