Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: History question - 914/6 market in 1970
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryM
simple question

back in 1970 when the -6's were introduced, was there "market excitement" which caused the early adopters to throw down deposits & get onto wait-lists for the first cars?

was there a temporary frenzy to get one?
- if so, when did it abate?
- and did "flippers" get into the act?

did it happen in USA?

did it happen in Germany?

i know it happened in USA on cars like the 1990 Miata - but that was 20 yrs later

- & now-a-days, it is a marketing tactic to release limited production special editions at full-price plus additional dealer markup
(Porsche 918 Spyder, Carrera GT, 911 Speedster etc, - Tesla mania is similar)
toolguy
They languished on the dealers inventory, common for 1970 models to be unsold for months and some held until 71. . .The biggest detraction was they were only $500 less than a 911T and had the VW stigma. 10 years later they were still considered to be a 'lesser car' by the 911 community. . except on the track where they were more than competitive.
Racer
I would agree. Although, apples to oranges, the base 911T had a 4spd wink.gif That said, they were not quick sellers. IIRC, my dad bought his early '70/6 as the '71s were gearing up to get to dealers

Course, my dad wanted the 914, since the engine was in the proper place!
csdilligaf
A friend of mine was in the car business in 1970 and has always told me they hung around the lot a long time also. Wish we could turn back the clock.
SKL1
And because they sat so long I was lucky when I got my early '71 as they traded the houndstooth seat inserts from a 6 they couldn't sell and put them in my 4... love those seats!!
oldie914
I lived in Stuttgart in 1970 and in December bought a 914/6 from the local dealer. He had four 914/6s to choose from; they were all cars used by dealers as demonstrators and had about 16,000Km. Price was about DM 13,000 which was $3,600. I remember that only one of the 4 cars did not have rust under the battery but I was not smart enough to buy that one. I bought the one that had the color I liked.
New price was for a 914/6 was DM 20,000 at that time. A 1970 911T (with 4 speed) was DM 21,000. Prices at that time were fixed by the manufacturer and dealers were not allowed to offer discounts.
The 914/6 was not a success because it was too expensive. A 911 cost a little more but was a much better car.
I also looked at a 914/4 which had a new price of about DM 13,000. Took a test drive and gear shifting was about the worst I had ever seen; even when new. The 914/6 was much better.
maxwelj
I had a frenzy about buying mine! <<grin>> I was in love with the fact it was a mid engine car. I paid a little over $5200 through a travel agency program for European delivery. Picked it up in Brussels in April of '70. When I shipped it to the US, it was a used car, so didn't have any import taxes. (except for the tool kit that was liberated at some point, and the broken hand brake and radio knobs)
larryM
excellent! - just what i was hoping to discover - not a "hot commodity"

why anyone at all b'ot 'em in 1970 is a different social question - was it the racing factor? (as documented in several recent books)

- interesting that "new" cars already showed rust problems at 16k Km

not unlike my experience with a '67 911 that was arguably rusted beyond rational salvation when i got it in 1971
pete000
When I was a kid back around 1980 I had a friend who's girlfriends parents were into Porsches. I remember going to their house to see their new 911 SC and the girl said that 914 over in the feild besides their house was a "Six" I remember saying its a terd 914 who cares !

It was Irish Green, they bought it new.

That was then , this is now...LOL

mb911
QUOTE(larryM @ Jul 28 2017, 06:00 PM) *

excellent! - just what i was hoping to discover - not a "hot commodity"

why anyone at all b'ot 'em in 1970 is a different social question - was it the racing factor? (as documented in several recent books)

- interesting that "new" cars already showed rust problems at 16k Km

not unlike my experience with a '67 911 that was arguably rusted beyond rational salvation when i got it in 1971

Great point is that they all have rust just some has not reared its ugly head as of yet.. I consider mine as a seasoned 914 biggrin.gif
burton73
Larry,

Why the “excellent! - Just what I was hoping to discover - not a "hot commodity"

I have read your back-story on your super special 6. I hope to see it one day.

Bob B
gandalf_025
Any 914, 6 or not was considered undesirable back then.
The arrogant 911 owners wouldn't even talk to you.
Going to a PCA Meeting was a joke..
Took many years to be recognized as a Porsche..

I bought my 6 in early 73..... will never forget the way we were treated.
larryM
quite true

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 29 2017, 10:34 AM) *

KELTY360
QUOTE(larryM @ Jul 29 2017, 09:03 PM) *

quite true

agree.gif

That's why I consider myself a 914 guy, not a Porsche guy. NARP is a badge of honor.
RickS
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 29 2017, 09:12 PM) *

quite true

agree.gif

That's why I consider myself a 914 guy, not a Porsche guy. NARP is a badge of honor.

About 4 years ago I ran my 6 conversion in a rather spirited PCA "tour" and had no issues keeping up with the new cars in the twisties. When we stopped for coffee a handful of new car owners came over and asked how keeping up was possible. I told them that 914 GTs actually put the higher priced 911s to shame in several races and a result were pulled from future races as to not tarnish the more expensive 911s. They were rather dumbfounded. I then told them I peddled like hell to keep up, and then they laughed. I thought they would be dicks, but they were rather impressed by what a humble 914 can do. Some might still be dicks, but a few are more shrunken.
gandalf_025
QUOTE(RickS @ Jul 30 2017, 12:53 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 29 2017, 09:12 PM) *

quite true

agree.gif

About 4 years ago I ran my 6 conversion in a rather spirited PCA "tour" and had no issues keeping up with the new cars in the twisties. When we stopped for coffee a handful of new car owners came over and asked how keeping up was possible. I told them that 914 GTs actually put the higher priced 911s to shame in several races and a result were pulled from future races as to not tarnish the more expensive 911s. They were rather dumbfounded. I then told them I peddled like hell to keep up, and then they laughed. I thought they would be dicks, but they were rather impressed by what a humble 914 can do. Some might still be dicks, but a few are more shrunken.

About 4 years ago is a FAR cry from the early 70's. People may be more willing to accept a 914 now, but many newer owners have no idea what a 914 is.

Back then, it was what it was.... I lived through it... As some other members here did also and I'm sure they can relate..

GregAmy
Clearly they were not desired at the time. If the /6 had been a good seller then it would not have been cancelled...and would not be as rare today.
Lucky9146

Going to a PCA Meeting was a joke..
Took many years to be recognized as a Porsche..

Had a beautiful concours 912 in the eighties and agree.gif the arrogant 911 owners wouldn't even talk to me either. Never understood it and especially at the PCA meetings. Now there is a car I wish I'd have kept and not just because of the prices but because it was so original as in paint and interior.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.