Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VR for a SIX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I ordered some parts today and was told the VR from a 4 cyl will work on a 6 cyl? I wasn't too sure so I didn't order it.

Anyone used a 4 VR on a 6 alt?

Cheers
lapuwali
For the most part, voltage regulators are voltage regulators. They MAY be an issue between generators and alternators, but this isn't an issue if using a 911 v. a 914 part. This assumes they're both still external parts. Some later alternators have the regulator built-in (actually a module that bolts onto the back of the casing, or inside the casing), which can still be used, but are harder to wire in.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ May 16 2005, 06:49 PM)
I ordered some parts today and was told the VR from a 4 cyl will work on a 6 cyl? I wasn't too sure so I didn't order it.

VR?

Vorn Rechts? Right Front what?

aha. Voltage Regulator...

well - there's a sticker on the car that says "brand of regulator must match alternator."

i've only replaced one VR (and the battery that it killed...), and that was long enough that there was only one kind of alternator used in 914.6's...

"'72-on" 914.6 (so you know how many that was...) shows the same VR as 914.4, but then the steering columns are the same too, FWIW...

this whole issue is one reason i'm glad i'm transitioning to an internal-regulator alternator for the 911...

okay - long way to go for "i don't know" ... with an original relay-style VR i'd be less sure, but with a newer solid-state type i'd guess it's more compatible. that's a GUESS... FWIW - the 914.6 VR part number is 901.603.206.02 so if you're using a 770W Bosch alternator from a '69 911T like the original 914.6 - that's what's you'd tell the parts guy.

if you're using a different donor alternator, i'd get a VR to match that - whatever it is...

hybrid upgrade cars are always so interesting...
Kerrys914
Thanks, I'll be moving to an internal alt once the current one dies. I could put the $150+ to better places right now smash.gif welder.gif

Cheers

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.