Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat warmers question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chunger
i was wondering if it's pretty simple to install seat warmers in the 914 and other household cars. My wife likes to be toasty, and I thought it might not be too bad to jack the seat warmer elements from another car and fit them onto the 914. Figure I'd have to take the seat cover off whatever seat I'm modifying to get the job done. Just don't want to burn anything in the process.

I'm not sure if the electrical system on the car is up for the job though. I figure I'd just run a new feed to a new "accessory" fuse block and go fro there to a switch. . . to the heater element.

Don't know if it he 914's alternator is up for the job though. Subaru should be fine though to ad some bootie comfort.

Also, what cars typically found at Pick 'n Pull had good seat warmers. . . anything else I should snag besides just the heater elements?

-'Chung

tesserra
Most all Volvos have them. They also have a thermostat, and some kind of timer set up. I don't think you need any of the otther stuff if you make your own switch set up.
Bleyseng
here do it up right.......
http://www.heaterseat.com/products.php
bondo
I see them on ebay all the time! Specifically for 914s even! lol2.gif

(yes, I know they're really seatbelt warning system butt sensors.. that's what makes it funny!)
ArtechnikA
Homedics make a heated/massage seat insert; i think i paid about $50 for mine. i haven't used the massage part (no long trips yet...) but believe me - it did make the l-o-n-g warmup phase on those 5F mornings much more survivable. plugs into the lighter outlet which IIRC is 15A in my car, and didn't have any alternator capacity issues.

i know - i should just fix the hand throttle so i could go back in and nurse my coffee until the engine will hold an idle -- but OTOH i'm looking at temporarily replacing the HE's with headers so once again - heated seats could be good even in a 3-season car...

"it works for me" ...
grantsfo
buy a Boxster
GaroldShaffer
Just get her on of these butt warmer biggrin.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself slap.gif beerchug.gif

Toast
yea, us wimen like it Toasty.
lol2.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 16 2005, 06:22 PM)
Homedics make a heated/massage seat insert; i think i paid about $50 for mine. i haven't used the massage part (no long trips yet...) but believe me - it did make the l-o-n-g warmup phase on those 5F mornings much more survivable. plugs into the lighter outlet which IIRC is 15A in my car, and didn't have any alternator capacity issues.

Which model did you get, I couldn't find it on their site. That might be a good choice for people that switch to headers on their performance engines. Thanks! devil.gif
ArtechnikA
as a matter of fact i came across the manual just the other day. i bought this two years ago and it's served well through two winters.

"BackMasseur" 10-motor Seat Massager. LSS-10HL

i think i got it through SharperImage.

i hope they're still available - if we bring the 911 to the Fall Foliage lassic and i have headers in the car, i better have heat, but for sure - there will be heat on the passenger side... :-)
MoveQik
My seats are black and the car was out in the sun while I washed it. No heaters needed! Did I mention that it is 100 degrees here today? blowtorch.gif

However, if you know of anything that is good for getting skin off of leather I might be interested.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 17 2005, 04:12 PM)
... if you know of anything that is good for getting skin off of leather I might be interested.

in your part of the world, i would suggest...

...oven cleaner!
TravisNeff
A spatula is very handy, 108 degrees by the end of the week!
tracks914
WTF do you need seat warmers in CA for?
Up here they come standard equipment along with block heaters, heated mirrors and battery blankets.
I'd suggest you sit in her seat for 5 minutes before the drive and just warm it up for her. laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tracks914 @ May 17 2005, 07:14 PM)
WTF do you need seat warmers in CA for?

tell ya what - some time this coming winter, say around mid-September, as you are bored from your third consecutive week snowbound, have a look at the current conditions for a Truckee, CA...
tracks914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 17 2005, 03:17 PM)
tell ya what - some time this coming winter, say around mid-September, as you are bored from your third consecutive week snowbound, have a look at the current conditions for a Truckee, CA...

By September I will have forgot that this thread exists. Fill me in. wacko.gif
BTW the snow we get in September is usually gone in a day or two. biggrin.gif It's just a tease for us snowmobilers.
spare time toys
Had them in my Jetta. VW has e recall on them. Something in the controol and element do get along and they go full hot and will not shut off. A couple of folks have been hurt when the seat catches on fire. Mine were way hot or off. They replaced controlls and the leather covers because the wires are in the leather so they say. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.