Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche shop near Virginia beach?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
Hey guys,

Anyone on here know a good independent shop for my brother to take his cayenne? He is stationed in Virginia Beach and has been bleeding his money to the local dealer. I'd rather he find a good, trustworthy independent.
Tom_T
I don't know a P-indy there, but unfortunately he'll still have to pay exorbitant Porsche parts prices even at the Indy, but Suncoast Porsche (FL) & Sunset Porsche (OR) both have good discounted parts websites where he may be able to have the indy save some coin.

Also a heads-up if he has any of the Cay V8's 2011-12, then he should immediately have the dealer check it for the Variocam Adjuster defective bolt failure recall AH08 - which can cause loss of brakes/steering/fuel pump & possibly sieze or destroy a $35K motor.

If his is an 11-12 V8 (S, GTS, Turbo, TurboS, etc.) - then he can go to this link & find the way to check the cam adjuster part no. & what the bolt looks like at the 6speedonline link below:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne...cs-failure.html
(Note that the people on this thread were instrumental in getting NTSB to force a USA recall, as well as documenting failures, & help identifying whether your have the defective bolts/adjuster.)

Also, if his is the 2003-06 era 955's then he's got to watch out for the plastic coolant pipes & Cardan Shaft mid-bearing/support (driveshaft) problems if not previously repaired; & the 2008-10 (no 2007s) 957 has the Cardan Shaft + Plastic fittings into the front "horseshoe" coolant distributor & a plastic coolant return line in the Vee (they changed to metal pipes from the 955 problem, but left that plastic J-pipe & faulty adhesive fittings in the 957s).

He can find good info on thses & other issues on 6speedonline & at Rennlist's Cayenne sections, & that may be a better place to ask for a good P-Indy with Cayenne expertise in V.Beach.

NTSB Recall:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V368#recalls360

If it comes up with the p/n xxx.21 - then I would strongly advise NOT driving it at all, until Porsche does the AH08, & have them pay for the tow/flatbed to the dealer!

Also note, that despite Porsche not listing the 2012 Cay's on the recall, there are many 12's with the defective part, & despite Porsche downplaying the problem as only "stalling' - it's far worse & more dangerous that that! Now it's become a Variocam-gate cover-up since 2012 or earlier! mad.gif

PS - Thank your Bro for his service! Navy or Marine I presume, being where he's stationed.

PSS - I know more than I wish I did about this issue, cuz we've been looking for a 2008-10 957 or 2011-14 958 Cayenne S, & it scuttled several 2011-12's FS over the past year for us, while Porsche was playing the denial game!

Also, if he has the 2004-06 955 Cay V8 then he'll need to take care of the plastic coolant pipes & cardan shaft (driveshaft) center bearing/support issues (unless already done); or if the 2008-10 (no 2007s) 957 V8s it has the cardan shaft & coolant pipe issues with a plastic "J-pipe" in the "valley" + faulty adhesive fittings to the front "horseshoe" coolant distributor (they did change the main coolant pipes to metal in 08).

He can read more about those & other Cayenne Quirks at the 6speedonline & Rennlist Cay sections, & those would be better places to ask for referrals to a V.Beach P-Indy shop which is good with Cayennes.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ConeDodger
I seem to recall Eric Shea paid about $4K to have his done right after purchasing his Cayenne... blink.gif Not sure if that was dealership or independent.
anderssj
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jul 28 2017, 01:27 PM) *

Hey guys,

Anyone on here know a good independent shop for my brother to take his cayenne? He is stationed in Virginia Beach and has been bleeding his money to the local dealer. I'd rather he find a good, trustworthy independent.

RaceWerks has a good reputation with some of the local club members. LMN Motorsports has gotten good reviews too, but I wasn't too "shot in the a$$" with their work on my 914 (perhaps it was too old for them? dry.gif ). He may also want to talk with the folks in "First Settlers" region (http://www.fsrpca.org/). Their DE/tech guy may have a recommendation.

Hope this helps!
PeeGreen 914
Thank you for that. Sent him the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.