Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What turns the smog pump engine pulley?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
'76 2.0, what is the driving force for the pulley on the front of the engine that the smog pump belt goes around to turn the smog pump? I can reach down and turn the pulley freely without the belt on. Is that normal? There is about a quarter inch of in and out play on the pulley and shaft. The pulley is not loose on the shaft. Is that normal too?
oakdalecurtis
Pulled the pulley out, what a PITA! I think I found the problem though! I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow to buy 3 countersunk bolts and nuts, drill holes through the metal "wings", rubber and plate and bolt it all back together.
Click to view attachment
burton73
That is the sacrificial rubber that connects to the Crank Shaft in front of the fan on 76 models. My part took a shit as well when the smog pump froze. I bought a couple of these over the years and it was super hard to get back in with the engine in the car and Leamon fixed me up by putting it back in. My hands where way to big to do. I got it out but could not put the new one in. It takes a special touch and a great back.

I would find a used one and put it in, as this is very hard to do and if your pump freezes you do want it to break lose. Not sure what would happen if you do what you think will work. Is your pump frozen? I could not pass the visible smog test here in CA.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.