Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine oil issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
I was talking to a non Porsche engine building /machine shop yesterday and he told me new oil formulation regulations means we need to add zinc additive in older cars
Any one out there have knowledge ( versus opinion) on this.
I use Brad Penn but he seemed to indicate this is industry wide.
He was not trying to sell me anything

Biggles
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jul 29 2017, 02:28 PM) *

I was talking to a non Porsche engine building /machine shop yesterday and he told me new oil formulation regulations means we need to add zinc additive in older cars

this issue has been around for a few years now. You can put a zoinc booster additive (ZDDP) in the engine, but you really need to look for an oil with high levels of zinc in it already. its been discussed on World before so do a search.
Biggles
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jul 29 2017, 02:28 PM) *

this issue has been around for a few years now. You can put a zinc booster additive (ZDDP) in the engine, but you really need to look for an oil with high levels of zinc in it already. its been discussed on World before so do a search.
Mark Henry
Just look for oils in the 1100-1500 ppm range.
Which one to use is a can of personal taste worms with a pinch of hype.

I use a diesel oil that's cheap enough to change often.
Tom_T
IIRC one of the Brad Penn oil lines has ZPPD in it for older cars, Porsche also sells their branded oil for classic Porsches with their recco'd amount of ZPPD, & if those 2 are too expensive then there are a classic/older car oil blend by most of the major oil brands at the local FLAPS, Wallymart, etc. with the amount in the same range as the Porsche recco/product.

I don't know the ZPPD ppm recco off-hand, so can't say if Mark Henry's is what Porsche would recco.

IIRC #2 if you had valve seats hardened in a rebuild, then the ZPPD may not be necessary, but IMHO the ZPPD will still protect the other internal parts which were designed to function in the days of the old school oil with ZPPD in it.

Those who are running the modern synthetic oils may be causing problems with their classic car engines of all types (assuming still as originally engineered parts) due to the lack of ZPPD, according to my longtime factory trained 914 mechanic & others I know.

As others have said, there a a bunch of past threads on here about this subject, but you'll find it easier to do a google search for it, rather than this site's search function.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stugray
I use Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

It has ZDDP but you have to look carefully at the label and get the right one.
sixaddict
thanks for insights
snakemain
The pro who rebuilt my engine filled it with Shell Rotella. Seems to be fine so far.
mepstein
QUOTE(snakemain @ Jul 29 2017, 08:56 PM) *

The pro who rebuilt my engine filled it with Shell Rotella. Seems to be fine so far.

We use rotella t. Cheap enough and has the right stuff in it.
GeorgeRud
I'd heard that even Rotella had changed formulations though it was a go to oil for many. Besides valves, the cam lobes need the ZDDP in flat tappet engines. It's also best to use an oil with appropriate ZDDP levels rather than trying to blend your own with additives.
larryM

everything you ever wanted to know - here

Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...j4-sm-oils.html

- suggest you start at the latest (last) posts & work back

we don't need to reinvent this discussion piratenanner.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(larryM @ Jul 29 2017, 09:53 PM) *

everything you ever wanted to know - here

Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...j4-sm-oils.html

- suggest you start at the latest (last) posts & work back

we don't need to reinvent this discussion piratenanner.gif

Didn't read all 105 pages of that thread blink.gif But I've read a fair amount about the ZDDP issue and I'm curious what you smart guys think about these posts suggesting the ZDDP thing may be overblown:

http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,30533,30536

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/oil_myths.pdf

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-perform...-more-oils.html

I don't know what to think. I see a lot of discussion on many forums about the importance of ZDDP for classic engines, but very little hard data. And I'd like to know more about whether newer anti-wear additives like molybdenum and titanium compensate for reduced ZDDP. It's a confusing topic for a simple consumer.
mepstein
I just follow what most of the best Porsche engine builders in the business recommend. Understanding and hard data are secondary.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 29 2017, 11:18 PM) *

I'd heard that even Rotella had changed formulations though it was a go to oil for many. Besides valves, the cam lobes need the ZDDP in flat tappet engines. It's also best to use an oil with appropriate ZDDP levels rather than trying to blend your own with additives.

Yes, but Rotilla is still up there in the good zone.

I use Chevron Delo 400 15w40, another similar dino diesel oil with about the same levels as the old RotillaT . Delo is the oil Henry at Supertec recommends.

One thing about running the cheaper diesel oil is it's not near as expensive as some of the bouquet oil's. Thus you are more likely to change your oil often, which is just as important as which oil you use.
BTW I don't recommend Delo in the thinner grades, for some reason they have a different additive package by my research.
jkb944t
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 29 2017, 06:24 PM) *

Which Shell Rotella do you use?

Jeff B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Jul 31 2017, 07:57 AM) *

Jeff B

I would assume Mark's shop uses the original dino (pic below).
I've also used T6 and like it, but it's synthetic, so never use it on a new engine till break in is complete and synthetics have been known to make leaks in aircooleds worse.

IPB Image

michael7810
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 31 2017, 05:14 AM) *

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Jul 31 2017, 07:57 AM) *

Jeff B

I would assume Mark's shop uses the original dino (pic below).
I've also used T6 and like it, but it's synthetic, so never use it on a new engine till break in is complete and synthetics have been known to make leaks in aircooleds worse.

IPB Image

Does it come in 20-50. I couldn't find it on the website
Mark Henry
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 31 2017, 10:13 AM) *

Does it come in 20-50. I couldn't find it on the website

Nope, 15w40, 10w30 and a couple of single weights.
Al Meredith
Go to the L&N Engineering website and you should get a commentary from Charles on the ZDDP issue and aircooled engines. Joe Gibbs now "Driven" been using it for years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.