Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Continuing this saga.

First off 73 2.0 Djet system

it started and ran for a while and then quit. while messing with the relay board I burned up the ignition harness. so it really wasn't going to run then.

Previous thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=313104&hl=

So as an update I got the car running initially and it would start every time. then on one drive I tried to turn on the heater blower and it just quit. no buzz from the fuel pump. with a bit of fiddling with the relay board I got the pump to buzz and all was good for a bit. After driving about 18 miles, just local, with a number of uneventful restarts I got home. when I went to put the car back into the garage it wouldn't start. so again I unplugged and replugged the relays and the 12 pin connector. that was when I burned the ignition harness. contacted Jeff Bowlsby and ordered a new harness, also ordered new points and condenser since those parts also got burned when the harness cooked.

Fast Forward and I have the new harness, points and condenser installed. but it still won't start. fuel pump runs, I have pressure 35+ lbs, power to the coil full battery. it cranks easily but no start. spark at the coil and plugs. I even got a different relay plate because I suspected the original had a break. all this time I was suspecting it to be a problem related to the relay board or wiring harness

Decided to pull one of the injectors and see how much fuel I was getting and after cranking about 5 seconds I only had a very little fuel in the cup. like less than 1/4 tsp. doesn't seem like enough.

every now and then it will give a POP but makes no attempt to run.

The ground wires for the points are securely attached to the 3 prong connector on the block. the CHT sensor shows around 3400 ohms cold, so its working. there was one fuel hose with a pretty sharp bend so I replaced that. it has 1/2 tank of gas

I had the distributor out to put the new points in but did not check the trigger points, but it did run before, I will check those.

any ideas on what to look for next?
burton73
One of the guys said this before in your post. "Check the grounding strap from the transmission to body. It might be trying to ground through that harness".
Olympic 914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 29 2017, 02:59 PM) *

One of the guys said this before in your post. "Check the grounding strap from the transmission to body. It might be trying to ground through that harness".

Yeah, and I let that go then. it would be wonderful if every problem with these cars could be solved by "Check the ground strap"

BTW, never mind, I found the problem and its fixed.....

It wasn't the ground strap.....
shoguneagle
WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION????

WE NEED TO KNOW! Please do not leave a problem and solution hanging in mid-air. So many people do this and knowledge is NOT TRANSFERRED but LOST.

Thanks.

Steve
TheCabinetmaker
So, your gonna just leave us hanging? wacko.gif bs.gif alfred.gif
Olympic 914
OK I'll tell.....

I pulled the distributor out when the engine was 180 off. So when I reinstalled it I set the rotor position to #1 Now the distributor was 180 off. I found out when I pulled the dizzy to check the trigger points that it was off because the prongs on the distributor drive were in the wrong place.

That's why everything else I was checking was coming up good, because it was.

So I switched it around, static timed it and it started. then I set the timing with a light and took it for a drive.

This has been screwing with me for over a week now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.