Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "shaved" targa bar trim - I think I like that look
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Been doing some "planning" for the future body work on my car (aka 3 yr /6 project). I have seen a few cars with the targa bar trim shaved and I think I like that look. My plan was already to replace the windshield trim with black molding and now I think I might shave the targa bar trim. Anyone else like this look??? Here is a pic of Jon Takahara's (sp?) race car with the shaved trim.
redshift
I like it on a white car.... I dunno bout other colors..

M
GaroldShaffer
I know what you mean. I think it would be good on look mine confused24.gif
redshift
So, all black, and wrapped in roll bar covering? Or naked, and orange?

M
bondo
I'd been wondering about how to do that. Doesn't the rear targa seal seat against the trim? If the trim goes away, then what?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (redshift @ May 16 2005, 07:35 PM)
So, all black, and wrapped in roll bar covering? Or naked, and orange?

M

Remove the black, targa bar same color as the car, orange.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (bondo @ May 16 2005, 07:37 PM)
I'd been wondering about how to do that. Doesn't the rear targa seal seat against the trim? If the trim goes away, then what?

Good question, any know for sure?
SirAndy
QUOTE (itsa914 @ May 16 2005, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ May 16 2005, 07:37 PM)

Good question, any know for sure?

nope, the trim is lower than the top of the targa bar ...

wink.gif Andy
goose2
I was wondering about the look too...also have an orange car, so I just did a couple quickie photoshop images of your pic.
goose2
hmmm...........the pic didn't post, try this:
goose2
oh well, back to the drawing board I guess...never had that problem with images posting before. I'll try again later, and fwiw...it looked good (all black or all orange).
SirAndy
QUOTE (goose2 @ May 16 2005, 09:43 PM)
never had that problem with images posting before.

too big, file-size wise ???
confused24.gif
seanery
don't preview your post...look in the FAQ link at the top of the page for some picture posting tips.
MecGen
Well
Trying to aquire a certain 914..
Plans are a complete de chrome, including removing all
sails, finished/painted...but then again its getting a 1/2 inch chop, with a re-raked windsheild...
If origionality is not an issue, go for it, sad to do permanent mods (or at least $$$ for reversing), to a clean car, resale will be affected.
I think in certain colors a stocker can pull this off, not all.
I am waiting for some pics of this also...
Early morning icon_bump.gif
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
spare time toys
I was looking at that on the yellow car on here a couple of days back. It would not be that hard to do just take the lip off the seam and weld it together grind it smooth little filler and paint. I think Ill do it to mine.
balljoint
I like that look a lot. I think it takes away a lot of the 70's feel and adds to the timeless quality. I would like to do that to my car as well, down the road. Short term I think I am just going to delete the trim and keep the lip as it is already nicely painted on my car. Looks nice too with the bumper painted body colour.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (goose2 @ May 16 2005, 08:43 PM)
oh well, back to the drawing board I guess...never had that problem with images posting before. I'll try again later, and fwiw...it looked good (all black or all orange).

email me the pics gjshaffer2002@yahoo.com and I will post them. I'm not a photoshop type person so I would love to see what it looks like.
Rand
It would not be that hard to do just take the lip off the seam and weld it together...

That would be cool. I want the shaved look but don't want to add something to build it up to the level of the lip. I thought about cutting it off too, but wanted to be sure about how much stress is transferred up there first. Seems like it would be plenty strong if welded back together, but that lip definitely adds some strength. Is there any potential concern with doing this???

J P Stein
There's some pics of the process here.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=199326

....at least the way I did it.
GaroldShaffer
smilie_pokal.gif Yea, JP that looks good.

Here is a pic Randy sent me.
East coaster
Shaved trim.......he he he he! wub.gif
tdgray
Yep... thats exactly what I was thinking on doing to my car.

My trim is for shit and I have some rust repair there anyway. Grind the lip off and viola....smooooth wub.gif

I am also going to paint the front and rear bumpers body color. The car is staying it's orginal white. So it'll have an all white body with black rocker panels, black bumper tops and chrome and dark grey empi wheels. I think that will look pretty sweet smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (East coaster @ May 17 2005, 01:38 PM)

I wondered if I was the only one with my mind in the gutter... guess not... smile.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 17 2005, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (East coaster @ May 17 2005, 01:38 PM)

I wondered if I was the only one with my mind in the gutter... guess not... smile.gif

I thought it......I was just tryin to keep it ahem classy.

Yaaa Riiiight
MarkG
There was an article in Performance magazine last year about a guy in Santa Rosa Ca. that renovated a 76 914. He shaved the targa bar, windshield squirters and bug-eye lenses on the front; painted car red....

looked GREAT! Good second choice, in Denver last Sunday a couple of the cars had the chrome trip painted body color and it looked pretty darn good too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.