Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest Restoration Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
Clearly opening myself up for criticism on this one...

Not sure how many even have the original frunk rubber drain tube on their cars anymore but mine was there....rotted and almost cracked in half. The repo ones are not exactly the same as the originals. I'm not a CW but could be guilty of being an originality freak.

Took it out and "restored" it using Vinyl repair goop. It's flexible when dry and actually worked really well! Just need to use a bit of steel wool to dull the shinier look of the vinyl repair material. Good as...almost....new.

Click to view attachment
Porschef
Not familiar with that stuff, how well does it work? I've got a horn ring that could use a little love..

TIA
914Next
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 30 2017, 09:11 AM) *

Not familiar with that stuff, how well does it work? I've got a horn ring that could use a little love..

TIA

Depends on what repair your trying to make. I'd guess that if you need a truly invisible repair in a very visible location it might not do that well. But it does pretty well at crack or rip repair if its not in a really visible location and/or you're just trying to prevent further tearing or cracking.
Tom_T
Steve,

The 914Rubber repro is a silicone rubber IIRC, & Mark made them a bit different profile to be more resiliant IIRC.

However, the good news is that you can still get the originals from Porsche AFAIK - as it's also used as the headlight bucket drain tube on the early SWB & LWB F (maybe G too) 911/912 (930?). So check for it under both part nos. 911/912 & 914.

Just call Hennesey & talk to their classic car parts guy there (Ken?), & he can get it it, plus you can ask him to email you the current parts list for what they can get from Porsche for 914s. It's just a list of p/n & retail prices only, so you'll want to look up parts in the 914 PET parts manual pdf (you can download free from the Porsche Website, Classic section), then check the p/n against his current list, & ask about any discounts too.

PS - I bought a pair for my resto a couple of years back, since mine had gone MIA over several repaints/restos years ago.

BTW - there should be 2, which I believe you can see the correct placement of in the pix of Steve G's Sahara Beige 73 2L in the O&H Forum's nailed threads "The few, the rare...". If not there, then just shoot Steve an email or PM to send you a pic of them.

Great resto job though, but knowing you, I think you be happier with a fresh genuine Porsche part! smile.gif

And - sorry to break it to you- but, YES, you ARE a CW! biggrin.gif first.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.