Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight relay connectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Hi guys. I have a question on the headlight relay connectors. My headlights have been installed after paint and assembly. But the rubber connector for the relays beside the headlight wasn't pulled through the hole in the body. I've been trying to push them through with no luck. Don't want to mess them up. Is there a trick to this? I can add pics if needed.

Thanks, Rick
TheCabinetmaker
Glycerin works wonders on stubborn grommets
brooks944
Thanks Cabinetmaker. I have some silicone spray would that work as well? If not where do I buy glycerin?
cn2800
I usually buy mine at the pharmacy or in the pharmacy section of the supermarket.
brooks944
Thanks will look for some tomorrow
hndyhrr
Michael's craft store sells it in block form
brooks944
Hi guys. Got some glycerin today. Still won't push through. Does the glycerin need to soak in for a while? I would hate to remove the headlight motors, etc. in order to get these pushed through. Thanks in advance.
Rick
914Sixer
You may have to use a small flat blade screw driver to get them started and then work your way around the hole.
JeffBowlsby
Show us a photos of what you are trying to do. It should be very simple.
brooks944
Pics attached, I hope. Thanks guys!Click to view attachment
brooks944
Sorry for no explanation. This is the small hole below the rubber boot that covers the headlight Turing mechanism. The connector goes into the hole. Yes it should be easy...
bandjoey
try putting the connector inside a baggie, lather it up with lube, and try to pull it through the hole...then cut off the plastic. Never tried it this way but it's worked on smaller grommets that don't want to fit.
brooks944
Thanks, will try that tomorrow. Great idea!
JeffBowlsby
Photo of the connector too please.
brooks944
Connector photo
Garland
As shown in your last picture insert a blunt tool about the size of a pencil into the center around the connector posts on the relay plug. As you push that through the whole pull with a pair of needle nose on the other side the knob will pop into the hole.
JeffBowlsby
I am not sure that relay base has to go through that hole. Would need to take the cover off mine to check. Does it not just route around that brace?
brooks944
It does go in that hole. I pulled the relays out of my other car to try them on this car and the connector was in that hole. I could plug the relay in and maybe use a wire tie to strap it to the hole so it doesn't flop around? Part of my problem (I think) is the car was stripped and repainted so the hole is slightly smaller than before.

Thoughts? Appreciate everyone's help.
Rick
brooks944
I went with the wire tie 'solution' not as elegant as factory, but hey I have front lights! Fogs not working, but that's another project. Thanks guys.
raynekat
I just reinstalled all the relay plugs back into my fuse panel after repainting the panel.

They are a bit tough to get in.

I was able to get them started, then pull them in from the opposite side.
I just used my fingers and finger nails to pull the mounting node into the hole while pushing from the relay side.
It was tough on my fingers (no joke) but I got all three of them in.

mepstein
Push 1/3 of plug into hole then use a plastic body tool or something similar to work the rest of the lip over the metal edge. Use the lube to help the tool slide.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.