Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch pedal to the floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tsvo
Hello, i have an issue with my clutch pedal. I was driving and pushed the clutch in to shift. I heard a nreaking noise and yhe pedal went to the floor. The peadal stil has tension when you move it with your hand, however it goes straight back to rhe floor. I will try to add a couple pictures. Any suggestions?
tygaboy
Broken clutch cable or clutch tube?
There is a spring associated with the pedal assembly and that may be the tension you're noticing when you operate it by hand.
Tom_T
Sounds like the clutch cable tube in the center tunnel broke loose or deformed at the center weld &/or rear/firewall.

They can be rewelded or repaired/secured in other ways.

Check the tube for play at the engine bay where the tube daylights, then check with your local shop, or do a google search for the topics on here to repair it yourself.

Also check the cable fittings & adjustment at the arm at the clutch end.

Also, make sure that you have a good clean ground at the ground strap from the top of the transaxle to the rear trunk under-deck, since if bad the clutch cable becomes the ground path & gets fried! It's a "while I'm in there...." thing! biggrin.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bdstone914
Broken cabel? look at the cabl at the trans and see if it has slack. the clutch clevis can also wear thru the shaft arm ar the pedal set. look at it in the tunnel.
mepstein
Like the guys said, broken clutch cable is the first thing to check. Happened to me when I first got my car back in the 80's.
porschetub
Broken roll pin in pedal maybe ? or broken clevice as mentioned,my old one was almost cut through,had to weld up the hole is the pedal arm as it was oval.
theleschyouknow
agree.gif
check the cable and all the connections, mine was the clevis at the pedal side

beerchug.gif
cjl
Dave_Darling
Roll pin. Holds the pedal onto the cross-shaft.

--DD
tsvo
Thanks for the help...

Quick update. I found this piece at the spot where it broke. Does this mean it is the cable? Pin? Etc?Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
What broke? the cable? then it's the cable....

That piece is normal, what attaches the cable to the fork, it's the steel replacement for the nylon part.
tsvo
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 31 2017, 06:19 AM) *

What broke? the cable? then it's the cable....

That piece is normal, what attaches the cable to the fork, it's the steel replacement for the nylon part.

I havent had a chance to look at the car yet. Wasn't sure if this would be a clue or not.
Mark Henry
How did it come off? did you take it off? found on the floor?
You're not giving much info for us to help you.
tsvo
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 31 2017, 06:39 AM) *

How did it come off? did you take it off? found on the floor?
You're not giving much info for us to help you.

Sorry, I havent worked on cars in 20 years. Really just getting back into it.

I'm found it on the ground where it broke. I was driving coming to a stop sign. I pushed the clutch in, i heard a noise that sounded like something broke. The clutch pedal went straight to the floor. The car died as I came to a stop.
bdstone914
Get a new clutch cable and two 7mm nuts. If that came off the cable had to break. Might get a cltuch clevis and pin too.
Larmo63
You apparently have a broken clutch cable. This is a relatively easy thing to fix if you are proficient with tools, floor jack and have the time.

It looks like you might need to tow this to a mechanic to have it fixed.
forrestkhaag
This is an easy fix. A good reintro to home-mechanic fun and games.

If you have and want to keep your brain, first buy a set of jack stands as a floor jack is a recipe for disaster without the use of one of them at the least. Second get a Hayne's Manual for 914-4.

Jack up the car and position one or more jackstands to safely allow you to slide under the car. Flashlight in hand, look at the stuff on the garage floor and at the firewall where the cable enters the center tunnel.

A new cable from Pelican Parts extension 330 (Bruce Stone) is cheap and good insurance for future safe drives in the wilds yonder. If the cable snapped as I suspect it did, simply remove the pedal board in the cabin and snap off the attaching clevis pin thingy at the cable's end. Draw out the remaining cable. Do the reverse to insert the new cable. AS bruce stated in his post in this thread, get new nuts and adjust the throwout to spec in the Haynes manual.
Start with easy fixes to ease into the art of living with a 914 decades after they were made and always try to have fun.

beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jul 31 2017, 07:55 AM) *

simply remove the pedal board in the cabin and snap off the attaching clevis pin thingy at the cable's end.

I like the "simply" part laugh.gif . Yes, it isn't that hard. On the other hand you have your head in the pedal well and your ass sticking out the door with the pinch weld poking you somewhere around the ribs. BTW, the seat comes out really easy. Actually come to think of it I think there is a photo of me in that position somewhere on this site. A good flashlight or headlamp will certainly help.
tsvo
Thanks again everyone. So far I have done a tune up, brake rebuild and cosmetic updates. I guess it is time to dig a little deeper. Wish me luck.
GeorgeRud
If you don't want to fix it yourself, there are several good shops in the area. Also, Brad Mayeur in E. Peoria, IL (914LTD) is a 914 guru without equal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.