Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: yesterdays bad day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turk22
So yesterday was a bad day in the 914, really one of only two since I've owned the car.

Beautiful weather here in Cincinnati this weekend, I took the car for a drive, like I do most weekends.

Just a couple miles from the house, coming to a stop light, heard a loud backfire, really sounded like a gunshot, didn't even really realize it was me at first, saw just a tiny puff of smoke in the rear view mirror, and realized my car wasn't running anymore.

Coasted up to the stop light, and tried to start the car, almost caught once, but really just cranked. I could tell it wasn't going to start. Pushed it to the side of the road, a good samaritian helped me push it into a parking lot off the street, and I called Hagerty's for a tow truck.

While I waited, I started poking around under the hood...

Click to view attachment

That hole wasn't there before....can't help but think that's pretty bad....took till today before I could even go out to the garage and look at it again...pretty bummed

don't know what could have made that hole yet, any guess?
'73-914kid
That used to be where the coil was mounted. Likely, the nut plate pulled through the sheet metal, and the coil fell onto the side of the engine, pulling one of the wires off the coil, or shorting the coil to the tin. This likely is what caused the backfire.

It's a common failure, and one of the reasons I prefer to use later model bus coil brackets that bolt the front of the fan shroud.

Bruce stone (bdstone) should have one for sale if you ask him.

I wouldn't fret too much about this. It's an easy repair for any competent welder.
Tom_T
chunk of something off the crankshaft, connecting rod, wristpin, etc. thrown off the crankshaft perhaps, or at the fan/shaft. Depends on what you can see inside that hole?

Either way, it's a drop the engine to fix - either you or your shop.

Okay, I stand corrected by Ethan! Gota run now, guests arrived.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
My 914
Impressive photo. Any other damage under the hood?
SirAndy
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jul 30 2017, 01:22 PM) *
That used to be where the coil was mounted. Likely, the nut plate pulled through the sheet metal, and the coil fell onto the side of the engine, pulling one of the wires off the coil, or shorting the coil to the tin. This likely is what caused the backfire.

agree.gif

Looks like the coil came lose and shorted out, it's just lying to the right there.

I also agree that the bracket that holds them to the front of the shroud is much stronger, provided you use some padding (i used a sliced open old rubber hose) for the blue coils since they have a smaller diameter and won't fit snug in that mount.
idea.gif
burton73
As Tom sees it you are in very bad shape. As Ethan
Sees it is no big deal.

If you blew the engine I would think that there would be some sound from cranking it that would not sound good.

I would go look at it and move the coil back to the place where the coil moved from and look for a witness mark. Make sure that the coil is not shorting out. Maybe put a piece of duct tape to hold it in place for the test. I do not think it will hurt you to try to fire it up.

I have thrown a rod before on a Datsun. Very loud and oil everywhere. I sucked a valve one time on a Ford V8 steam and lots of notice right before.

I hope this is as Ethan guesses it is

Bob B

turk22
drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif

Ethan/Andy, you guys are the smartest sum bitches that ever looked at a picture!

I just put it back together and started her up, and she seemed so happy that she idled better than ever.

If I wasn't puking into my mouth when it happened, and I first saw it, I coulda finished my ride yesterday!

appreciate it.

Turk
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2017, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jul 30 2017, 01:22 PM) *

agree.gif

Looks like the coil came lose and shorted out, it's just lying to the right there.

I also agree that the bracket that holds them to the front of the shroud is much stronger, provided you use some padding (i used a sliced open old rubber hose) for the blue coils since they have a smaller diameter and won't fit snug in that mount.
idea.gif

I double agree. You're lucky it didn't melt some wiring too. Relocate the coil and resume your Sunday driving...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.