Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN Sticker
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BENBRO02
I bought a new punched vin sticker from Poland after the car was painted. Can somebody please give me measurements so that I place it correctly.
db9146
How did the new sticker turn out? Does it look like an original?

I looked on my '74 and the top edge of the label is 1 3/4" below the bottom metal edge of the striker plate and 7/8" in from the radius for the door.
cn2800
I don't have measurements yet, but here's a photo to give a good idea:

Click to view attachment

Although I was not present in the Karmann plant when they were built, I have a great deal of experience in manufacturing plants where labels are added to the finished product. It's not a robot applying them. It is a person. I'd wager there's a 1/2 inch variation at best between where the stickers are applied, even with the typical type-A German assembly workers. I'll get a photo with a measuring tape later tonight, but I don't think you should get too worked up about getting it exactly right.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(cn2800 @ Jul 30 2017, 10:00 PM) *

I don't have measurements yet, but here's a photo to give a good idea:

Click to view attachment

Although I was not present in the Karmann plant when they were built, I have a great deal of experience in manufacturing plants where labels are added to the finished product. It's not a robot applying them. It is a person. I'd wager there's a 1/2 inch variation at best between where the stickers are applied, even with the typical type-A German assembly workers. I'll get a photo with a measuring tape later tonight, but I don't think you should get too worked up about getting it exactly right.

Thanks for the help guys.
Root_Werks
Reviving an older thread as I need to put my new VIN sticker on. Anyone have better measurements? I can use these if they are the best.

My striker plate isn't mounted yet, would be nice to get something from very fixed edges.
sixaddict
I bought one as well. Mine was silver as it was originally. Looks good to me but would have been wrong if I did not “proof” and correct t errors.
People were very accommodating and easy to deal with.
Understand the stickers are also available in US ….Aasse and maybe Stoddard (forget exactly)
Root_Werks
I think there's no perfect or exact spot these are placed. But would love to see a few more chime in with measurements before I peel and stick.

Roughly 1 3/4" below striker plate and roughly centered in the door jam I'm thinking.
windforfun
Knowing the length of your sticker, you can scale a good pic which includes a reference such as a rocker panel mounting flange.
mgarrison
Here are the measurements I took off my 1974 before stripping the paint...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Big Len
Which company in Poland did you buy it from?
Root_Werks
Parallel from the inner door seal metal seam.

Thanks for the additional pics and measurements.

Peel and stick time!
StarBear
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 10 2022, 03:16 PM) *

Yes, please. Keeping original but a bit torn so would like to have a replacement.
Len; a group buy of two together??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we sell the punched stickers now for 75.00
StarBear
Thanks, George. Will check if silver or black.
Meanwhile, my original one also has little scallop cuts. Been searching for punched stickers that have those scallops, too.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 10 2022, 12:12 PM) *

I think there's no perfect or exact spot these are placed. But would love to see a few more chime in with measurements before I peel and stick.

Roughly 1 3/4" below striker plate and roughly centered in the door jam I'm thinking.

When I gathered a bunch of original (as best I could tell) photos of door jams, I saw quite a bit of variation of height.
StarBear
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 10 2022, 05:36 PM) *

we sell the punched stickers now for 75.00

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com George - Here's a photo of mine - silver with those little scallop cuts. Have you seen any others (besides the OP) with these cuts? The sticker is original, though removed (hence the tears) to paint the sill of new quarter panel then put back on.
I tried checking out your site, but the photo of the sticker isn't loaded. Is it silver? Does it have the little scallop cuts?
Click to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jul 30 2017, 04:10 PM) *

I bought a new punched vin sticker from Poland after the car was painted. Can somebody please give me measurements so that I place it correctly.

@BENBRO02 Do you recall or have a link for your source in Poland? Thanks!
BENBRO02
QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 12 2022, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jul 30 2017, 04:10 PM) *

@BENBRO02 Do you recall or have a link for your source in Poland? Thanks!

Carbone.pl
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 10 2022, 03:16 PM) *

Carbone.pl but George (Auto Atlanta) chimed in and sells them now too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.