Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas/Fuel Gauge Thread #27 - INOP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
Was driving the 914 yesterday (glorious warm and sunny weather here in CT) and I looked down and...the gas gauge was dead. I know it showed halfway when I started the trip, I looked at it. Light is not on.

Didn't smell any fuel so I was confident I didn't have a bad leak. Popped the cap and looked in and I can see shimmering fluid. Kept driving it, I knew I was OK.

Pulled it apart tonight. Checked connections in back of gauge and on the sender, all looked good. Tested continuity from the green wire in back to the sender, good. Pulled the sender and checked resistance, I'm getting roughly 4 high and 61 low. Reinserted into tank and it's showing 41, about right for around half a tank.

Removed the sender, let it go down to full empty, and grounded the sender, low fuel light comes on. Rechecked pins in the plug, all is good.

I just fragged a gauge, didn't I? Dammit! And I just bought this one too. Used, but oh well. '74 without the console so it includes the oil temp gauge.

Any other thoughts before I crack open the wallet? Or maybe I'll just drive it until the light comes on...feelin' lucky, punk...?

Edit: put 12V to the pin, needle didn't budge. She's fragged.

And I think I know what did it: I shook the gauge and heard something rattling inside, sounds about the right size for a bulb. I think someone dropped a bulb in there and didn't fish it out, probably shorted something out inside.
GregAmy
Removed the head and pulled out the fuel gauge from the back. Whatever that small coiled copper thing is back there is broken, looks like it was hit, the coil is displaced and holding on by a wire. And yup, I found one of the small bulbs in there...

Anyone have a combo gauge they're parting out and could ship out just the fuel gauge bit? Send me a PM.

Edit 8/13/17: Yup, bad gauge. Replaced gauge bit and everything works fine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.