Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! My Probe is too long for the taco.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cdmcse
I picked up a used taco plate and oil temp sender set-up off of evilbay with the intention of installing it on my 1.8. The sender that came with the plate is too long to fit into the engine. The plate fits fine, but the sender hits the block before the threads engage with the plate in either direction.

Do I just have the wrong sender or is it not possible to put that on a 1.8? Anyone know the part# for the right sender?

Here are a few pics...
cdmcse
Sender Installed...
cdmcse
I want to put it here...
skline
It looks right to me. I have had them in every car I have owned and they all looked just like that. You are missing the outer shell though. It hold the wire in place. I have seen them without them however.
jim912928
I put one in my 1.8l about 6 mos ago..fit fine. Don't remember how long the probe part is....but I got my sensor new from GPR.
Rockaria
My 1.8 has an add on temp sender that looks exactly like yours and it fit just fine. confused24.gif

I installed it so it points up to the rear of the car. The wire gets connected towards the front. (Bottom front Wire - top rear inside sensor)
cdmcse
I have the cover plate too. I'll try again, maybe I was just having a blonde moment.
Bleyseng
yeah, my probe is too long for the taco too!! biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ May 17 2005, 09:40 AM)

rolleyes.gif
you wish... the taco just isn't in the mood to be probed laugh.gif
machina
it will fit just fine, no problem, don't worry...

I think confused24.gif
wilchek
angle the plate a little to put it in. It will not go straight up. wire contact toward the firewall and the engine bar. tilt the taco plate with sensor installed (firewall side/engine bar side) down toward the ground an slide in and then flatten against block and bolt up. It should fit.

not the best pic but this is factory install
Bleyseng
Maybe you are putting it in upside down. Doesn't the bulge go on the outside not inside the block?
Mrs. K
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 17 2005, 07:45 AM)

rolleyes.gif

lol3.gif Yeah or maybe it's that "time of the month"! lol2.gif

Lisa w00t.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ May 17 2005, 09:09 AM)

rolleyes.gif

Lisa w00t.gif

ah, Lisa, (may I call you Lisa?)

That is the one thing you women will never fully understand, we do not discuss THAT here.

Hugs, Kisses,

John monkeydance.gif

cc Laurie
cdmcse
Well, I may have to just get a BFH. smash.gif Let's just hope it isn't leaky when I get finished and my car has to park on the wet spot. laugh.gif
Allan
Don't forget the o-ring.
Jake Raby
Must be a Bus case or early 1.7...

Many Bus cases are not cut out for the probe. Also the early 1.7 914 is also not opened for it in many cases...

FYI..
cdmcse
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 17 2005, 12:38 PM)
Must be a Bus case or early 1.7...

Many Bus cases are not cut out for the probe. Also the early 1.7 914 is also not opened for it in many cases...

FYI..

Hmmm, I am pretty sure it is a 1.8 case (by the design of the casting), But there is no serial # where it should be. Are there other identifying features that will help me determine if it is a bus case? Is this something I should be concerned about?
Rand
Maybe you are putting it in upside down. Doesn't the bulge go on the outside not inside the block?

That's what I wondered. Is the probe sticking OUT the IN hole here...???

user posted image

Allan
He's got it right. That is how it is supposed to be mounted.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ May 17 2005, 12:09 PM)

rolleyes.gif

Lisa w00t.gif

for that matter he could be aiming at the other "taco", and it's not oiled up enough... wink.gif w00t.gif
cdmcse
QUOTE (Rand @ May 17 2005, 01:23 PM)

That's what I wondered. Is the probe sticking OUT the IN hole here...???

user posted image

It has to go that way because of the outer sealing ring.
cdmcse
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 17 2005, 01:38 PM)

rolleyes.gif

Lisa w00t.gif

for that matter he could be aiming at the other "taco", and it's not oiled up enough... wink.gif w00t.gif

If you are referring to the "Brown" taco, that is not my usual approach. bootyshake.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (cdmcse @ May 17 2005, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 17 2005, 01:38 PM)

rolleyes.gif

Lisa w00t.gif

If you are referring to the "Brown" taco, that is not my usual approach. bootyshake.gif

the engine has to be very drunk first... cool_shades.gif
cdmcse
Well I just checked again and it definatly does not fit, so I must have a bus case dry.gif Thanks for the info Jake!

Anybody wanna buy a taco plate and sender

biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
use the modern VDO 2 1/16 cockpit series gauge and matching sender. The sender is way shorter and will fit the stock 914 Taco plate. I have one sitting on my desk if you want a pic.
cdmcse
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ May 17 2005, 08:05 PM)
use the modern VDO 2 1/16 cockpit series gauge and matching sender. The sender is way shorter and will fit the stock 914 Taco plate. I have one sitting on my desk if you want a pic.

Could you shoot me the VDO part#?
Bleyseng
VDO #323-055 which fits the cockpit series oil temp gauge

I did this set up to fit this in my Westy.
cdmcse
Sweet! I think that will work. Thanks!
aircooledboy
Cut back on the Enzyte. After a few weeks the probe goes back to its original normal size. Be prepared for the Taco to be disappointed though.

Look on the bright side, at least the probe has never had to seek medical attention for an erection that lasted more than 4 hours. MAN is that embrassing. Even the ER nurses have a hard time keeping a straight face. THEN, they start asking for your phone number. The second time you go back, its even worse. huh.gif

Shit, did I say all that out loud? ohmy.gif

w00t.gif chairfall.gif monkeydance.gif aktion035.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ May 18 2005, 02:36 PM)
Cut back on the Enzyte. After a few weeks the probe goes back to its original normal size. Be prepared for the Taco to be disappointed though.

Look on the bright side, at least the probe has never had to seek medical attention for an erection that lasted more than 4 hours. MAN is that embrassing. Even the ER nurses have a hard time keeping a straight face. THEN, they start asking for your phone number. The second time you go back, its even worse. huh.gif

Shit, did I say all that out loud? ohmy.gif

w00t.gif chairfall.gif monkeydance.gif aktion035.gif

lol2.gif w00t.gif those damn enzyte commercials... man you'd think if that dude is making that ugly chick that happy, he'd find a hotter chick to make happy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.