Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contemplating selling 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turbonet
So I'm contemplating selling my '73 Alaska blue metallic. It dose have rust. Hell hole was repaired but not very well. Doors open and close no problem. No sag.

Passenger long will need work. Rear jack points as well.

Currently not running. Fuel injection was removed and replaced with carbs and then carbs were removed. I have a complete injection system that goes with it as well as Weber carbs.

Matching numbers with COA

I'm looking for ideas on as is condition value.

If it's not enough I'll hold onto it. Got my eye on a bigger prize and need to fund it.

Thanks.

Click to view attachment
turbonet
MoreClick to view attachment
Nie Zu Alt
I'm in the same situation with a '74 2 liter. Body looks comparable, rust sounds about the same, engine out of the car. It will be interesting to see what opinions are offered.

Best of luck!

Doug
thelogo
Id say straight up its worth as in actually get someone to pay you

10 k

This is technically not a for sale thread so i can comment

But

The second you factoring in collector or classic car value
You need to put down the crack pipe.

Its a car running and driving , not in this case but

Seats and a steering wheel .

I assume you want to determine and get maximum value for it
So thats not gonna happen as seller wants it for minimum value
And on and on headbang.gif
thelogo
Sorry without fuchs wheels

9 grand

With 5 fuchs 10k

agree.gif
turbonet
I have 4 bolt fuchs that could go with it. I also have full 5 bolt conversion with 76 matching date coded 14 x 5.5 5 bolt fuchs.

I am looking for a realistic number not necessarily the max number.

Thanks for the replies.
injunmort
based on your desrciption, 2k delivered ,sight unseen. think about out it.
nditiz1
As someone that has been heavily looking for the Last two months, I wouldn't pay more than 5, maybe even less. The rust is the killer. Engine, electrical, interior, upgrades, those things are an added cost to fix or to buy If the car doesn't have them, they are not difficult to remediate.
mepstein
$3.5-4K
rgalla9146

Your location is a factor too.
DRPHIL914
without pictures i cant be certain but i had similar sounding repairs last year on mine rust wise and it cost almost $7k to do all that work- so a buyer has to factor that in- then the interior - $2500, then the motor and fi could be another $2500, so now we are at $$12500 and i didnt even include the cost of buying the car- $5000? so now we are realistically in the $17,500-$20,000 range . AND i have not verified cost of any brake or suspension fixes or surprises fixing hell hole etc.

so personally i LOVE the color and its a very desirable year etx but is say $5000 max
BUT a car is worth what someone is willing to pay, no more , no less!

you may ask what you want - ive had my rust repair done, all new suspension brakes 5 lug converson, 5 lug 16" fuchs and tires, all new rubber, motor runs with original d-jet, new interior and dash etc etc and it needs repainted , and ive been told $10-12,500 - i have way more than that into it-

so you ask $10,000 you might sell it the market is super crazy, but you might only get $3-5k from this crowd because they know what i just layed out-
I do wish you luck with your sale! i will watch with interest-

Dr. Phil
iankarr
agree.gif 100%

Never hurts to test a higher price on CL or eBay, but knowledgeable buyers prob won't go higher than 4-5K.

GLWTS!
Larmo63
I agree with Mark......Not running, unknown rust issues, ugly steel wheels, in Canada....

$3,500 - $5,000
PlaysWithCars
Potential buyers need to consider all of the unknowns with a non running car with undefined rust issues and questionable interior. Looks like a good candidate for restoration, but it needs restoration and not usable as is. I'd expect $3500-$4000 as others have said. If, however, you invested some to reduce the risk to the buyer: got it running, professional assessment of the extent of the rust, refresh interior, etc, you could probably recoup your investment and increase the pool of potential buyers.
JeffBowlsby
Its Not Running.

So technically its not a vehicle but a nice parts car. That determines its value.

If its truly easy to do, spend the time or pay someone to get it running and driving to give the new owner assurance of what they are buying. Without that you will lose about 50% of its real value because of the unknowns. If its not running/driving, how are they to know if the tranny/brakes/electrical, ____ need work? You will pay for that uncertainty in the buyers mind.
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 31 2017, 10:52 PM) *

Sorry without fuchs wheels

9 grand

With 5 fuchs 10k

agree.gif

I just read thata its in Canada

So in los angeles 5- 9 grand

In Canada 5 to 9 hundred

Anybody who buys a 914 from out of country

And takes it to dmv for inspection to get it registered

Is the dumbest ass hat around . beer3.gif

turbonet
Thanks for the replies. Value is around where I expected it to be.

So I'm a dumb ass hat?? People buy cars from out of country all the time, including me. What's the problem with it?
EdwardBlume
I look at it a different way:

Long and HH repairs & paint - $5K
Interior - $2K
Uncertain Motor - $5K
Unavoidable Other Things - $2K

Value when done - $18K

These are raw estimates.

$18- $14 = $4K.

$2K premium for color and enthusiast vs flipper - $6K.

There's upside and downside risk, but as the owner, you know that already.

GLWTS!
toolguy
The negatives you know about make it a car that knowledgeable buyers will pass by. . unless its a bargain that offsets the amount of the rust repairs. . having a non-running motor makes it a crapshoot altogether. It's a pile of parts that aren't working.

mobymutt
I'm in Canada. I bought mine 3 years ago, very similar condition -- ie some rust issues, non-running, steel wheels, a lot of unknowns. Paid umm... can't even remember the exact price now, haha. I think $2100, or very close to that.
Amphicar770
You have a completr fi system and webers. It will be worth a lot.more if you get it running. Else, it is a $3,500 dollar gamble.
Montreal914
QUOTE(turbonet @ Aug 1 2017, 10:51 PM) *

Thanks for the replies. Value is around where I expected it to be.

Looks like you know what you have. GLWTS and be patient.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.