Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Challenger MR6 Scissor Lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I'm about to pull the plug and get a mid-rise scissor lift. My buddy down the street, Mustang guy, did most of the research, and he thinks we should get the MR6 from Challenger (Each of us get one, not one for us to share. That would be weird.)

From the research I have done, all mid-rise scissors seem to work in similar manner and have generally similar performance specs. Searching on the World here I find a) most people regret not getting one sooner, and b) nobody has mentioned the Challenger MR6, which I find odd. See lots of Greg Smiths and HF models mentioned.

So...does anyone have experience with this one and/or have a reason for or against, either for use with teener, or, for that matter, a Mustang?

Would love a 2-post, but that's not an option in my garage.

wobbletop
I was thinking of getting a "quick jack". It doesn't raise the car as high, but leaves the middle more open for exhaust work etc.

http://www.quickjacklift.ca/

Probably more portable too (thought I dont see moving it much).
914dave
It looks similar in size the the Greg Smith lift I have. You won't regret the purchase. Makes life a lot easier.
BeatNavy
Height is pretty important to me, as I'd like to be able to get under the car and work at least somewhat comfortably, as well as do engine drops with the lift. Most mid-rise scissor lifts go around 44 to 52 inches w/o the adapters.

QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 1 2017, 03:28 PM) *

It looks similar in size the the Greg Smith lift I have. You won't regret the purchase. Makes life a lot easier.

Sweet. I hope so.

It's surprising how logistically challenging it is to get one of these into your garage if you don't have industrial equipment. Both my neighbor and I have steep driveways, and the reseller for this particular lift PROMISED he'd put it into our garages, not just dump it in the driveway. And others won't even get it off the truck for you, as it's too big for a lift gate.
michael7810
It looks exactly like my Bendpak MD-6XP except the MR6 states 6 lock positions while my Bendpak only has 3. Not sure how high your garage is but I can't raise my 914 or 944 to the top lock position in my 8' garage. So I can't use a sit stool to work under the car but a reclining creeper works great on the middle lock and normal creeper is good on the low lock position. You won't regret the purchase.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Aug 1 2017, 05:00 PM) *

It looks exactly like my Bendpak MD-6XP except the MR6 states 6 lock positions while my Bendpak only has 3. Not sure how high your garage is but I can't raise my 914 or 944 to the top lock position in my 8' garage. So I can't use a sit stool to work under the car but a reclining creeper works great on the middle lock and normal creeper is good on the low lock position. You won't regret the purchase.

That is good info, thanks. I was at my buddy's trying to figure out layout / lift points for his 'stang when I read your post. We checked the height of his garage and it's just over 8' at the low spot, but he also has his garage door opener to worry about. Bottom line, he can probably only get about 36" of lift if he has his garage door open. That cooled his ardor a bit.

For some reason my garage is more like 106" (8'10') even though they are like the same design. Looks like I may get lucky and be able to get the highest, or next to highest, lock point

Thanks for everyone's help!
Dion
Rob, you won't regret the purchase. I have a snap-on I bought from Mike (amphicar).
I have a very steep drive. I pulled it up with tow straps and a F150. With Mike & 914Dave's guidance.
Makes working on these toys so much better.
ConeDodger
I bought one that Paul Sayegh bought new from Harbor Frieght. I loved it but wanted a 4 post so my scissors lift went to McMark. He left his two post behind at the old Sonoma OC location so that says something!
jkb944t
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Aug 1 2017, 11:34 AM) *

Height is pretty important to me, as I'd like to be able to get under the car and work at least somewhat comfortably, as well as do engine drops with the lift. Most mid-rise scissor lifts go around 44 to 52 inches w/o the adapters.

QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 1 2017, 03:28 PM) *

Sweet. I hope so.

It's surprising how logistically challenging it is to get one of these into your garage if you don't have industrial equipment. Both my neighbor and I have steep driveways, and the reseller for this particular lift PROMISED he'd put it into our garages, not just dump it in the driveway. And others won't even get it off the truck for you, as it's too big for a lift gate.

Logistically challenging is an understatement:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Three very difficult steps and I had it unloaded!

Jeff B
GeorgeRud
My Atlas lift from Greg Smith has a nice feature that allows you to move the lift around using the power unit as a tow point. Not easy, but can be done,

Check the height and pay attention to the location of garage door openers and tracks when positioning your lift. Being able to remove the top allows me to raise it a bit higher to clear the garage opener.
okieflyr
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Aug 1 2017, 02:14 PM) *

I was thinking of getting a "quick jack". It doesn't raise the car as high, but leaves the middle more open for exhaust work etc.

http://www.quickjacklift.ca/

Probably more portable too (thought I dont see moving it much).

I've been using one for the last month and a half and liking it so far.
I got the 5k lift for use with my other cars as well.
Click to view attachment

PlaysWithCars
Love my QuickJack as well. Works great on the 914, okay on my Mini, and marginal on the 911. Getting under the lift points is the hard part on most of the cars except for the 914 where its easy to get them all lined up.
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 3 2017, 05:36 PM) *

I've been using one for the last month and a half and liking it so far.
I got the 5k lift for use with my other cars as well.
Click to view attachment

I am assuming this is the 3500 Quick Jack? I have a Nussbaum drive on scissor lift, but it is a little long for my shorter cars. I figured the 3500 would be the right size for the 14'.

Greg W.
mepstein
Rob - You will love having a mid rise lift, any brand.

I bought my snap on lift used so I picked it up using a small metal trailer and backed it up to my garage. Then my neighbor and I (his trailer) pushed it down the ramp. My drive is as steep as any but it wasn't bad with 2 people.

One thing I like about the snap-on is its low enough to drive over without ramps. this is on a pretty stock car. If I don't need ramps on my GT car, I'll have to lower the car until it does biggrin.gif

Have fun!
mlindner
BeatNavy, I've got the BenPak. Love it and have had it for 9 year. My 914 the last year has been on a dolly which also can go on the lift cover I make. The picture is not even up all the way. This layout was outstanding for all the under body scrapping and cleaning before paint and now fabricating inner fender liners and hanging suspension. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
BeatNavy
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'm really excited to get this thing ordered and in my garage. I've got a punchlist a mile long of things that I need to do but would prefer to do with a lift. I'll post some pics once it's finally in my garage beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.