Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake light switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
so i searched and looked in my haynes manual which tells me absolutly nothing and i cant find if there are more than one brake light switch or what. There is the one on the mc in the haynes manual, that one is brand new on my 19mm, but the lights arent working when i press the pedal. Does the e-brake switch need to be hooked up, i tried grounding it but still nothing.
ArtechnikA
the brake light switch (there is exactly one) is a microswitch in the pedal cluster activated by the brake pedal.

( Haynes, p 129 )

the switch turns the lights off. (IOW - if it falls of or something, the lights will turn on.) but it's possible a lead could have come adrift.

pull the pedal board (4mm Allen, i think...) and check out the switch.

the switch(es) on the MC are only for the dual cylinder failure BRAKE warning light on the dash.
CptTripps
It's a funky set up. If my car was here, I'd go take pics for you. It's mounted between the accel, and brake. Little black box with an arm hanging out. Looks like this...

user posted image
(From Pelican Parts.)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pg5.htm#item32
tat2dphreak
the switch on the MC of which you speak drives the "BRAKE" light on your instrument cluster... when your emergency brake is on it should come on, and when your M/C is failing it's supposed to come on... some of these have 2 wires, some have 1...
xsboost90
ah ok, so i misread the manual. Ill check that, my pedal board is still out. I may have yanked a wire off accidentally when i did the mc or something. THANKS! wink.gif

edit- actually now that i think of it, they may be on all the time and i was thinking they were running lights. Perhaps my pedal just needs adjusted up some. dry.gif
redshift
As an aside; When you install the brake light switch, or anytime you are messing with the cluster, the switch arm is OFF in the forward, cocked postition.. I have bought two project cars with the switch arm placed behind the pedal arm. Wrongly.

M
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 17 2005, 01:11 PM)
ah ok, so i misread the manual. Ill check that, my pedal board is still out. I may have yanked a wire off accidentally when i did the mc or something. THANKS! wink.gif

edit- actually now that i think of it, they may be on all the time and i was thinking they were running lights. Perhaps my pedal just needs adjusted up some. dry.gif

That's EXACTLY what I was banging my head about for a couple of hours the other day. If that little elbow isn't bent over the nut on the brake pedal, they'll be on all the time.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 17 2005, 02:19 PM)
If that little elbow isn't bent over the nut on the brake pedal, they'll be on all the time.

yes. "the switch turns the lights OFF."

:-)
xsboost90
yup thats what it was!! damn little thing got bent alittle and kept them on. Fixerooo. I couldnt see it down in the black hole under my dash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.