Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dh_berman
I just purchase a 1970 914-6 race car. The seating position is such that when I move the seat close enough to reach the pedals, the steering wheel is way to close. The steering wheel is removable with a momo hub adapter like this

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...mowhel_pg26.htm

Any suggestion how to move the steering wheel further forward? I need to move it about 6 inches.

Thanks
mepstein
Remove the adaptor and use a 380mm early Porsche 914 wheel.
Racer
QUOTE(dh_berman @ Aug 1 2017, 07:56 PM) *

I just purchase a 1970 914-6 race car. The seating position is such that when I move the seat close enough to reach the pedals, the steering wheel is way to close. The steering wheel is removable with a momo hub adapter like this

Any suggestion how to move the steering wheel further forward? I need to move it about 6 inches.

Thanks

A pic of your setup would help us see the issue...

Is the wheel "flat" or is it "dished" ?

How close is "too" close? Does the wheel have a quick release feature or is it just a smaller diameter aftermarket wheel?
dh_berman
QUOTE(Racer @ Aug 1 2017, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(dh_berman @ Aug 1 2017, 07:56 PM) *

Thanks

A pic of your setup would help us see the issue...

Is the wheel "flat" or is it "dished" ?

How close is "too" close? Does the wheel have a quick release feature or is it just a smaller diameter aftermarket wheel?

I mentioned above that it is about 6 inches too close and that it is removable. The wheel is flat. Standard momo wheel
914forme
A Picture really would help.
arne
agree.gif

Indeed. We need to see which hub and removeable adapter the car has. Text is not enough information.
dh_berman
Here is a picture

Click to view attachment
dh_berman
Click to view attachment
mankowski
6" is a lot of distance to overcome.

It's probably not what you want to do with a racing setup but if you used the original 914 seat rails, there is an adjustable joint that tilts the angle of the seat forward and back. With the adjustment tilted backward it creates more space between the steering wheel and upper body of the driver, but without adding much if any distance between the pedals and lower body.
GregAmy
Dude, kill the quick release (in a street car??) and see how it feels.

EDIT: nm, see it's a "race car". I don't even run a QR in my racer, plenty of space to get in and out without it. Buy hey, 'cause "race car"...
914forme
Ah, good look at NRG, the wheel adapter and quick release will work with the Momo, and is about the same distance as just the Momo adapter.

Thank you for the pictures.

I have the NRG SRK-188H and the SRK-650BK

Not installed yet it is for my EG project that is using a 911 column.
dh_berman
Thanks 914forme. That's very helpful.
dh_berman
914forme - The NRG website doesn't indicate that the hub you mention will fit a 1970 914. It starts with 79-83 911. Do you know that it will fit? Thanks
914forme
Here is what it looks like, and yes I tried the hub on my 914-6 and 911 columns, will not work on a -4 steering column. Different spline count.

NRG stuff on the left Momo on the right

Click to view attachment

And it is actually shorter than the Momo

Click to view attachment
914forme
If you want to go shorter, the NGR short hub adapter is about as close as you can go.
mepstein
914, 914-6 & early 911 columns all have the same spline count. Promise.
mepstein
ablesnead
They make a billet short adapter , just for these situations , check ebay for available fitments..if not ,spline end and bolt circle can be cut and welded fairly close from any billet mount , not and expensive proposition
914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2017, 09:48 PM) *

Hmmm confused24.gif I thought they where different, oh well thanks Mark
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 2 2017, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2017, 09:48 PM) *

Hmmm confused24.gif I thought they where different, oh well thanks Mark

The early 911 guys like our 914 wheels for the smaller diameter. Any early 914 wheel (ends in a 10) is a perfect, bolt on fit. You just need to remove the plastic hub and bolt on a 911 cancel ring. Porsche used a 914-6 wheel to make the thick wrapped 911RS wheel.

Later wheels, (72 on, end in 11) have the same spline count and the fit is good but not perfect (chamfer is different) and you need to drill and tap holes for cancel ring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.