Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun with MPS diaphragms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Thought you might be interested to see some of the diaphragms I have come across, from various MPS cores. All are from either 1.7L or 2.0L 914 MPS cores.

1st on the left is unbelievable...looks like the bottom of a soup can or someones creative attempt at hand making a diaphragm.

The two on the far right are essentially identical, an original on top and one of Tangerine Racings excellent repro diaphragms below it for comparison. This late style diaphragm is from the 73-76 2.0L MPS's.

914Sixer
The early ones are probably what prompted the design change to make more rings in the diaphramgs to keep from blowing them out.
rmital
love seeing this stuff, thanks for posting Jeff... flag.gif
Dave_Darling
Hey, wait--the original diaphragm on the right looks like it has a brass threaded part! Tangerine's is steel or other white metal! You might lose concours points for that, if the judges have Xray vision!!! biggrin.gif

--DD
76-914
Yep, Thx for posting this Jeff. beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 2 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Hey, wait--the original diaphragm on the right looks like it has a brass threaded part! Tangerine's is steel or other white metal! You might lose concours points for that, if the judges have Xray vision!!! biggrin.gif

--DD

It's probably just plated with yellow cad instead of zinc.
I don't think I've seen any that way previously and was planning to comment on it too.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 2 2017, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 2 2017, 11:38 AM) *

--DD

It's probably just plated with yellow cad instead of zinc.
I don't think I've seen any that way previously and was planning to comment on it too.

I have several of those, let me dig them out and see if that one is an anomaly.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 2 2017, 12:38 AM) *

1st on the left is unbelievable...looks like the bottom of a soup can or someones creative attempt at hand making a diaphragm.

That looks almost exactly like the ones we remove from units rebuilt by FIC.
They cut away most of the original diaphragm from the hub and crudely solder a mostly handmade brass piece (with pressed ribs) in its place.
worn
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 1 2017, 08:38 PM) *

The two on the far right are essentially identical, an original on top and one of Tangerine Racings excellent repro diaphragms below it for comparison. This late style diaphragm is from the 73-76 2.0L MPS's.

And again time to thank you Jeff as master curator and guru, and Chris for taking the trouble to correctly reproduce the parts. You are bad, and nation-wide. So to speak.
r_towle
You need a new definition of fun!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.