Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third Gear - feels like I got no teeth on gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SA-914
Finally got the 73 2.0 running. Tranny shifts well, but every now and then, I can't get 3rd gear to engage. Feels like I'm missing teeth. I play around with the other gears, and then it starts working again. I already adjusted the shift coupler at the splines, but this does not seem to help.

Is this an internal synchro gear type thing?
76-914
QUOTE(SA-914 @ Aug 2 2017, 09:06 AM) *

Finally got the 73 2.0 running. Tranny shifts well, but every now and then, I can't get 3rd gear to engage. Feels like I'm missing teeth. I play around with the other gears, and then it starts working again. I already adjusted the shift coupler at the splines, but this does not seem to help.

Does it grind or you have difficulties locating 3rd gear?
SA-914
I can find the gear, but it literally feels like I'm shifting onto a gear the has worn teeth...or a stripped section of a gear.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 2 2017, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(SA-914 @ Aug 2 2017, 09:06 AM) *

Does it grind or you have difficulties locating 3rd gear?

76-914
So it takes a lot of force to push into gear? No grinding noises?
SA-914
There is no way to make the gears mesh...I feel one gear trying to "mesh" with the other...similar to the gear just trying to pop out...

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 2 2017, 02:18 PM) *

So it takes a lot of force to push into gear? No grinding noises?

914GT
I don't know if this is the same as your problem but a couple years ago when I would shift into 3rd, there would often be nothing there. You could feel it go into third but letting out on the clutch it was like being in neutral. I pulled the gear stack out and checked the shifter fork clearances and they were out of spec. I adjusted everything to the Haynes manual and after reinstalling I have not had a single reoccurrence of the problem. So if everything checks out OK outside the transmission with the shift linkage then it may be an internal problem and just needing a simple adjustment. If you decide to do this you will need a shift fork jig to keep things in proper alignment.
Rand
This could be as simple as an adjustment in the shift linkage. Hoping. Answer all the questions that were asked here. Any trouble getting into 1st smoothly at a stop?
SA-914
All the gears, seems to line up well. I have new shift bushings, front to back. I'll try to play with the amount of throw on the shaft. May I don't have enough "pull back" when trying to get into third...

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 3 2017, 01:33 AM) *

This could be as simple as an adjustment in the shift linkage. Hoping. Answer all the questions that were asked here. Any trouble getting into 1st smoothly at a stop?

bdstone914
QUOTE(SA-914 @ Aug 3 2017, 04:29 AM) *

All the gears, seems to line up well. I have new shift bushings, front to back. I'll try to play with the amount of throw on the shaft. May I don't have enough "pull back" when trying to get into third...

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 3 2017, 01:33 AM) *

Sounds more like a snycro to me. It it were linkage adjustment you would probably have as much trouble getting into 1st, 3rd and 5th. Check all the simple stuff first before pulling the trans. Get you get the coupler bushing with the round or oval holes? The oval ones get a big dead spot in the middle of the shift pattern.
ChrisFoley
We just replaced a second gear that had some broken teeth on the synchro engaging ring as well as a worn brake band and worn out shift sleeve (slider). It was still possible to get into gear but usually with a lot of noise unless being very gentle at low rpm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.