Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is My Mechanic Wrong or Am I Crazy - Love My Old Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
Both my mechanic and Brad at 914 Ltd say my vintage Thunderbird muffler is choking back my horsepower and my mechanic says it's way too loud. But mannnnn I love the sound.

Who is right? Keep it because I like it a little loud or put on a Bursch for better performance?

https://youtu.be/wmGi5ONn8cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= wmGi5ONn8cY
nditiz1
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Aug 2 2017, 08:42 AM) *

Both my mechanic and Brad at 914 Ltd say my vintage Thunderbird muffler is choking back my horsepower and my mechanic says it's way too loud. But mannnnn I love the sound.

Who is right? Keep it because I like it a little loud or put on a Bursch for better performance?

https://youtu.be/wmGi5ONn8cY

I'm no expert, but that exhaust sounds good to me. I have heard the bursch too, but only at idle.
burton73
Loud mufflers are a cop magnet. I did see mufflers that have sound control. You can switch between loud and softer. I have mufflers from a Ferrari for my V8 conversion that has a vacuum switch to open up the pipes. I did have a 2015 Corvette with switched performance for the tuning. It had 3 positions of loud.

Your car sounds good to me. Purest say the factory set up with a given amount of backpressure is the right way. I do not know. When it is loud people think there car is faster or puts out more power. I do not know. But I hate a guy that has a car that makes too much noise. Motorcycles as well.

Bob B
IronHillRestorations
It's your car, so you need to do what makes your happy. I'm a factory muffler kinda guy though, and there's very little data to support claims of improved power with other street mufflers/extractors
amfab
My background is in audio engineering, we always say, if it sounds good do it!
JmuRiz
If you like the sound, just keep it. What would you gain in HP anyway, a couple?
anderssj
I like it! piratenanner.gif

Had a Thunderbird exhaust on my car too back in the day--always liked the sound.
bowzer
sounds sweet.how come my 1.7 doesnt sound like that?
Java2570
I'd say go with what you like! On a stock motor with heat exchangers, I'd say an HP
bump would be marginal. If you move up to headers and a good setup like Tangerine has
(or others) you'd notice more, I'd think. I never really dug the Bursch sound, but if you want to try it out, I've got one you can borrow to check out. I had it on my '74 for a summer and it's just languishing in my garage. Jon

PS - my car is a 2.0L so if yours is a 1.7, you'd need to change HE and tin etc....so
nevermind!
KELTY360
It sounds fast....and isn't that really what's important?
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Aug 2 2017, 01:34 PM) *

I'd say go with what you like! On a stock motor with heat exchangers, I'd say an HP
bump would be marginal. If you move up to headers and a good setup like Tangerine has
(or others) you'd notice more, I'd think. I never really dug the Bursch sound, but if you want to try it out, I've got one you can borrow to check out. I had it on my '74 for a summer and it's just languishing in my garage. Jon

PS - my car is a 2.0L so if yours is a 1.7, you'd need to change HE and tin etc....so
nevermind!

Mnes a 2.0 and I'm in Indy also.
VaccaRabite
There are not many 914/4 mufflers that actually make more power then stock. Mostly they are just louder.

Triad may be the only one proven to make more power - though Chris may have data now for his 914/4 mufflers too.

Zach
porschetub
Old was always noisy,modern is smooth throaty and efficient and that's the way it is,nothing will change,for instance the stock 911 muffler has been proved to be very successful @ delivering good power over the rev range and being reasonable quiet.
I have pissed around with SO many combo's that had rharsby,farty or ricer never been that happy...leave it to the people that know IMO.
steuspeed
I like to be heard. Too many pedestrians on phones or earbuds. I like them to know I'm coming around the corner. driving.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Aug 2 2017, 09:42 AM) *

. . . . But mannnnn I love the sound.

Keep it. Click to view attachment
PlaysWithCars
Ultimately, its your car, your ear, and its your call what muffler you want to run on it. Personally, I like a throatier sound and was a huge fan of the Triad that I had on my 2.0. Deep throaty sound, definitely more presence than the stock one, no drone at cruising speeds, and I'm convinced that it increased mid-range torque. Yours sounds like more like a Bursch with a bit more of a raspy sound. I drove a car with a Bursch and didn't like the drone it had. But, that's what's fun about this hobby: many different opinions that results in lots of different interpretations of the perfect car.
Java2570
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Aug 2 2017, 06:25 PM) *

nevermind!

Oh, ok....for some reason I thought it was a 1.7. Well, the offer still stands if you want to try out the Bursch at some point. Just send me a PM and lemme know.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Aug 3 2017, 06:45 AM) *

nevermind!

Oh, ok....for some reason I thought it was a 1.7. Well, the offer still stands if you want to try out the Bursch at some point. Just send me a PM and lemme know.

Regardless, let's get together and drive!!
Java2570
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Aug 3 2017, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Aug 3 2017, 06:45 AM) *

nevermind!

Regardless, let's get together and drive!!

May be a while, my car is still in a state of not running....sorting out a new engine, brakes, suspension, etc. and I belong on the slacker list this year! I'll let you know
when it's running though. Have fun up at Garold's BBQ.
jsaum
Could you post pictures of the muffler and header? I think I may have one of the four into one headers but I don't. Know what muffler was used.
Thanks,
Jsaum
Mark Henry
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 2 2017, 11:38 PM) *

I like to be heard. Too many pedestrians on phones or earbuds. I like them to know I'm coming around the corner. driving.gif

I like to be heard as well...by deer. Never seen a deer with my loud as fuch '67 bug or my '67 bus and we have all kinds of the forest rats here.
burton73
Guys with motorcycles in Los Angeles like to be heard as people just do not see them. We have all kinds of forest rats here as well. They just look different than yours up there.

Bob B
TM_Corey
QUOTE(jsaum @ Aug 5 2017, 09:16 AM) *

Could you post pictures of the muffler and header? I think I may have one of the four into one headers but I don't. Know what muffler was used.
Thanks,
Jsaum

pete000
I think Triad West has the best tone and makes great power gains...IMHO !
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(amfab @ Aug 2 2017, 10:59 AM) *

aktion035.gif

Being in So. Cal you got to show these morons in KIAs and Hyundais you mean business laugh.gif Especially in Orange County, for some wierd reason I often experience impatient stuck up drivers when I am down there.
RickS
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 6 2017, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(amfab @ Aug 2 2017, 10:59 AM) *

aktion035.gif

Being in So. Cal you got to show these morons in KIAs and Hyundais you mean business laugh.gif Especially in Orange County, for some wierd reason I often experience impatient stuck up drivers when I am down there.

We have both a KIA and Hyundai. Looks like I will need to work on being even more stuck up.

Thank gawd I don't have a Benz and BMW or my head would explode.

Since my stock muffler is developing multiple pin hole think I will go with a Dansk sport for a little extra bark. Take that Prius owners!
Mike Bellis
Maximum power does not equal maximum driveability. If it runs good at all RPM's, leave it alone.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 5 2017, 09:47 AM) *

Guys with motorcycles in Los Angeles like to be heard as people just do not see them. We have all kinds of forest rats here as well. They just look different than yours up there.

Bob B

They are called hood rats bro lol-2.gif
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 6 2017, 11:18 AM) *

Maximum power does not equal maximum driveability. If it runs good at all RPM's, leave it alone.

Good point, and it ran like a dream going to Garold's this weekend. It seems its completely comfortable at 3500rpm in 5th gear going 80mph all day long.

I put just under 350 miles on it on Saturday and my only issue was almost stranding myself in the middle of no where because the frunk cable is almost kapoot and I couldn't open it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.