Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad day for SCCA members
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Just received a email from my RE, Glenn Miller a member of the NEOhio region was killed at Drivers school over the weekend. I met Glenn once at INR National last year at Gingerman, a nice guy that loved working the races. This a said reminder for those that Race, Ax, or work that it only takes a second for something bad to happen. Remember saftey first, then have fun. Below is the email I received, I have no other details than this.

Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 10:51 PM
To: Mark Seaman
Subject: Glenn Miller

It is with heavy hearts that Neohio has to announce the tragic death of Glenn Miller, a Lake Erie Communications and Mahoning Valley Region member, Sunday (May 15) at the Driver's School at Nelson Ledges. He was struck down in a racing incident.

We of the worker community are a close-knit bunch. We have our differences, but I also know we care about, and watch out for, each other. We teach safety, how to limit the risks we take. As we head out to station we admonish
each other to "Play safe." And yet, sometimes things just happen.

Glenn was a good friend, and will be missed. For me, this is a reminder of just how precious this life that I sometimes take for granted really is. It is a reminder to
give that touch, a hug, a warm greeting. And a reminder to say "I love you" to those we care about.

Services will be Thursday at 11:00 at Brickman Funeral Home, 21900 Euclid Ave., Euclid, OH (216) 481-5277

The family is asking that donations be made to the family in Glenn's name. The family's address is: 1526 Larchmont, Cleveland, OH 44110
Pnambic
News Article sad.gif
GaroldShaffer
Thanks Dan I was just going to post that same link.
URY914
Of course I don't know the details here but I do know first hand about the dangers of race cars. Even at an autox.

I was at a autox about 12 years ago when a spectator was hit by a spinning car. He was thrown through the air, landed head first and was dead when he hit the ground. I was the first to get to him. He was standing in a area that he was told to move from and he acually had his back to the track when he was hit.

NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON A CAR ON THE TRACK.
NEVER SIT DOWN IF YOU ARE A WORKER.

Paul

machina
It is horrible when these things happen, particularly to workers.

At an auto-x down here a couple years ago, they wanted the workers (me) to stand in the middle of the course with cars flying by on both sides with no barrier in between. I let them know what I thought of that brilliant plan.

Auto-x's and driver's schools have an image of being safer than an actual road race but the reality is that the same risks are there.
Trekkor
That is sad news and a sobering reminder.
I've seen some close calls at the a/x.

People, please, please wait until it's safe to reset a cone.
I've seen people diving out the way.

I feel sorry for his wife and three children. sad.gif

KT
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 17 2005, 06:49 AM)

agree.gif

Its easy to get cought up in watching the action of a Race/AX/DE school. You have to remember and be reminded that YOUR safety comes first before the driver or car.

As a Safety Steward in training (will be certified in two more months) I can't stress enough that when attending any event please keep your eyes and ears open and never turn your backs on the cars!
nebreitling
god, that's sad.

at the AX in alameda on saturday i almost walked over and "chatted" with a fool who was videotaping his friend's run -- eye in viewfinder, about 8 feet off the course, and totally not cognizant of the fact that cars were running RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE HE WAS STANDING.

i decided not to say anything, but after reading this, i will next time.
GaroldShaffer
Just a little more info. Found this on the SCCA forums website HERE

"he wasnt working an incident, the cars were going by at speed (for a drivers school speed) there were 4 cars coming into the station (on track driving by) the first two were side by side they got loose and both tapped the brakes the third car in line touched the brakes and dropped a left rear causing the car the rotate to the left. the car then came straight across the track into the station. after the incident the driver moved his car into a position between the worker and the other racing cars to protect him while he was down. The session was then stopped and the rest is already known"
Lyressa Roberts
Man, that's terrible...I've been known to space a little out there, but not when a car is near.

Actually, Nathan mentioned about the guy at the AX in Alameda...when I was there (late) on Saturday, I don't know if it was just that people were getting tired, or what, but there were several things that happened that I just had to pick up my jaw...one in particular was one car spun out and the people working at the two stations prior to that did not red flag the other two cars that were on the track...and people were screaming at them to do so...the one car immediately behind the spun/stalled car finally saw it and came to a stop on his own...I was shocked at how spacy they were.
messix
i'm sure heavy hearts are felt all around here.

we have to look out for those that can't ,or don't know better. terrible thing to have some thing like this happen to some one who has worked to ensure the saftey of others.

racing is a very dangerous business, stay alert and watch out for your fellow workers, your their eyes in the back of their head.
VegasRacer
sad.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 17 2005, 06:49 AM)
Of course I don't know the details here but I do know first hand about the dangers of race cars. Even at an autox.

I was at a autox about 12 years ago when a spectator was hit by a spinning car. He was thrown through the air, landed head first and was dead when he hit the ground. I was the first to get to him. He was standing in a area that he was told to move from and he acually had his back to the track when he was hit.

Paul

And just as important if youre a driver and see somone in a bad place slow down and report it to the organizers. I had somone run close to my path in this weekends AX and I got on the brakes and requested a rerun. Not even the best run is worth taking the chance with somones life.

When I go out to work I always figure out where cars are going if they lose it. Fast AX courses always scare me as a course worker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.