Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat barrier and sound deadening material.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daytona
Hi Guys,
I am about ready to start working on the interior of the 914 and am trying to decide if I should use Dynamat or some other material on the inside of the firewall and the floor. Any recommendations are appreciated?
Thanks,
Bill.
Mocrow
I have used the Reflectix insulation purchased from Lowes on two auto restorations. It worked great and have had zero problems.

Click to view attachment
Garland
I used Fat-Matt, and EZ-Cool on my build-off car. Heres the link to the build page at that point.

Michigan Build Deux
effutuo101
I used Lizard Skin. No results as I am still trying to get the car off of jack stands.
Blue6
Bill,
I used Dynamet on the firewall, but it's pricey. On the rest of the interior, I used the Lowes/Home depot stuff. Works great for under the carpet. I also removed the door panels and lined the inside of the doors. That made the biggest noise reduction.
Wyvern
I used the Reflectix product inside the engine compartment as well .
Mark Henry
I know it's heavy but I just reused the factory firewall mats. in the cab the factory rubbrerized mat can't be any heavier than fatt-mat or brown bread mat.
The bay side I'm not worried about rust, there was none and my teen is rarely in the rain. I can see replacing it if you want a bit of weight savings.
Haven't decided what I'm going to use on the floors yet.

EZcool is a closed cell foam, do a search and you'll find that CC foam doesn't absorb much sound.
doug_b_928
For the floors, is there something that can be used that works well enough and does not glue/get stuck in position? I don't want to have to remove the tar again someday and would like to be able to pull the carpet back and check on the floors once in a while. I recall reading somewhere that Dynamat and the like are difficult to remove, but I could be misremembering.
moorepower
Kaowool ceramic paper is VERY light and a far better insulator than anything listed.
jd74914
QUOTE(moorepower @ Aug 3 2017, 10:48 AM) *

Kaowool ceramic paper is VERY light and a far better insulator than anything listed.

I have a hard time believing it wears well since it pulls apart relatively easily. It's also itchy and doesn't withstand water very well. It's awesome stuff-I use it all of the time for insulating test burners, but IMHO poorly suited to an automotive application.
914dave
I would not recommend Eastwood sound deadening material. I got it cheap because of damaged boxes at the store. It bleeds everywhere! I may rip it out. Bleeding thru the perlon carpet on the back pad. I haven't even been out on the road yet. Here's a picture of it pooling by the footwell. Look at the runs above the pedal cluster I secured it with their recommended roller.
Click to view attachment
Montreal914
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 3 2017, 11:44 AM) *

I would not recommend Eastwood sound deadening material. I got it cheap because of damaged boxes at the store. It bleeds everywhere! I may rip it out. Bleeding thru the perlon carpet on the back pad. I haven't even been out on the road yet. Here's a picture of it pooling by the footwell. Look at the runs above the pedal cluster I secured it with their recommended roller.
Click to view attachment

blink.gif thanks for the tip, sorry sad.gif
jmitro
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 3 2017, 01:44 PM) *

I would not recommend Eastwood sound deadening material. I got it cheap because of damaged boxes at the store. It bleeds everywhere! I may rip it out. Bleeding thru the perlon carpet on the back pad. I haven't even been out on the road yet. Here's a picture of it pooling by the footwell.

good to know!
Eastwood products seem to be hit or miss; some great, some horrible.
daytona
Thank you to all for the replies and suggestions. Now I got to make a decision.
Bill.
Elliot Cannon
I really like Dynamat and have used it extensively in my car. It does a great job. It sounds like and feels just like you are driving a 44 year old German air cooled sports car. driving.gif laugh.gif
Chris914n6
I can't tell the difference between Lowes Peel-n-Seal and the stuff put on by the factory, so I've been using it. Cheap and easy to get.

Strategically when I put new speakers in the PartsFinder. Really helped with the lower frequencies and rattles.

IPB Image

Also did the HB project. Overkill for sound but there was lots of heat transferring thru the firewall and floor. Hoping it also helps with the driveline noise thru the rear cab wall.

IPB Image

The Dynamat on the doors has been there a long time. It didn't stick all that well and sagged in places where it wasn't pressed on by the door panel. It's hard now and falling off. Getting replaced with the PnS.

For non-sticky stuff you want mass loaded vinyl. Basically the stock stuff on the inside of the firewall/behind the rear pad.
914dave
A follow up to my submission on the Eastwood sound deadener. I sent Eastwood a picture that I posted in this thread. They were extremely apologetic and sent me new material and cleaning supplies. I was going to push my luck and ask that they send someone to scrape all the old out. But they did what they could to make good on the product. It's sitting on my front porch now. Hope it's not melting in the sun. Hahaha
Localboy808
FatMat for me ordered off Amazon. The stuff from Lowe's seems very good too. And affordable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.