Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler noise question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I want to convert my stainless Dansk 911 muffler to a 2in 2out Sport Muffler but I think it'll be just too loud. My (possibly dumb) question is this, can you add some kind of muffler packing material to the inside of the muffler (while you're doing the conversion) to quiet it down [just a bit]? I know if sounds crazy but maybe some material like steel wool or something? I really like to two pipes out the back for the /6 and don't mind a good deal of sound, my M3's pretty loud, I just don't want anything louder than that. Also, my 914/6 will be a daily driver and will have CIS which I know is a bit quieter, will that help the overall noise output in regards to the muffler?

Doug C
Triaddave
don't use steel wool!!! try this..take a piece of steel wool and light it on fire...not much left. i would junk the muffler but i am an exhaust guy...
Joe Bob
When converting, leave the stock tip on the side....get caps and use them on times when more silent running is needed. You can run three outlets, cap 1 or two when needed.
DougC
I thought of the 3 outlets but a couple of things keep me from going that route, first the stock tip on the side is completely "F'd" up, one of the previous owners droped it or dropper the motor that it was attached to and twisted it up real bad, so it has to come off anyway. Second, this will be a daily driver and I'd probably never get to use the dual out set-up if it's extremely loud. I don't know..now that I think about it that might not be a bad set-up really. I'd still have the cool retro look of the two pipes out the back. Got any pics of the 3 pipe set-up?

Doug C
Joe Bob
Then put smaller outlets on the muffler and/or weld on larger pipes....No one will see how big the holes in the muffler are unless they get down on their knees and look.
DougC
You got good ideas, thanks man..

Doug C
Ferg
Doug, I agree that you should do "something" to quiet it down... Since I know exactly how your motor will sound with a two in two out... Here's the only shot I have at work, of the muffler I used and am still using. It is almost unbearable loud between 2500-2900rpms, after that it sounds awesome, but resonates so baldy at low rpms it makes it hard to live with. I plan on taking mine someday to muffler shop to maybe weld in some baffles, but i'm not sure that will help, since my tips (3 inchers) are almost a straight shot from the inlets... Putting the outlets further inboard makes a higher pitched sound, but i'm betting it would still be pretty loud for a DD.
Ferg
Poor Pic for reference:

DougC
Thanks for the pic Ferg, but I can't quite make it out, but no biggie..I am going to research the baffles that the Harley (bike) guys use, I think they may just insert into the pipe..think there is a brand named Samson. I'll let you know what I find out.

Doug C
Ferg
Yeah, that picture is lousy for a reference... I was trying to illistrate, that my two in and two out is different from what most consider a "sport muffler" my outlets are more in a direct line to the inlets (further to the ends) and since it used to be hooked up to your motor, I have first hand experience of the sound... ie loud.
ohmy.gif
Ferg
DougC
Ok, check these out..they should take a bit of the sport out of the sport muffler.

Doug C
DougC
oh, I forgot - samsonusa.com

Doug C
Joe Bob
Adjusted and cropped....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.