Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SF Bay Area Windshield Installers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jon Dugan
Can anyone suggest a reputable windshield installer in the Oakland, CA area? My original finally gave up and has cracked about 3/4 the way across. I have to go with a repop for now which I can buy from my local parts shop but I want a pro to install it and the trim so it's done right the first time. Being my daily driver and no garage is limiting me from doing it myself... Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!
mmascari
If you don't mind driving to Pleasanton I got my windshield installed at Acme Auto Interiors. Tony is the owner. They also installed my rear glass, roll bar vinyl and dash vinyl. They are very meticulous and do great work. They do a lot of custom interiors for hot rods.
SirAndy
I got my new windshield a few years ago from a guy in Napa, but i don't think he does this kind of work anymore.

I'll ask around ...
idea.gif
McMark
Just make SURE you find someone who's willing to install the glass with butyl, not urethane. At least IMHO. Butyl is the original material used on the 914 and I feel the amount of flex in a 914 chassis makes butyl the best choice. Butyl doesn't dry hard so the glass is basically always floating, urethane is used on new cars where the glass is designed to be held firmly in place.

Also ALL NEW trim clips. And if you already have trim you're trying to reuse, have them use a razor blade, carefully, between the trim and the steel body to cut the old clips in half.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 3 2017, 12:15 AM) *
I got my new windshield a few years ago from a guy in Napa, but i don't think he does this kind of work anymore.
Nope. Now he lives in Hawaii.

I'll ask around ...
idea.gif
av-943.gif Is 'ask around' a euphemism for 'hopefully Mark see's this post'? poke.gif
McMark
This is how the old trim should come out, it usually takes a tap with a hammer on the razor blade to cut through the clip:
IPB Image
picture credit: bulitt

Check out this thread. I didn't read it all, but the pictures look right.

If you're going to hire it out, bring them a printout of some of this, especially a photo of where the trim clips are. A 914 has fairly unique windshield installation. It's super easy, but is absolutely not how 99% of glass shops will do the install if left to their 'professional experience'. You'll need to direct them, and if they won't do it, you need to find someone else.
ConeDodger
You really should consider doing this yourself. It's that easy with all the right clips and spacers.

Pro installers will tell you they aren't allowed by law to use anything but the glue they use for modern windows. Just discussed this with the installer who did my Tundra windshield. He says BS in Nevada.
BuddyV
Jon..... if you decide to do it yourself, let me know and I could drive over to help you (extra set of hands, etc).

If you do not have the space at your place, drive up to Santa Rosa and you can do it at my house.

I will be attempting a windshield repair down the road, so I would be interested in learning.

We can do it..... nothing on these cars seems very difficult.... just a matter of buying the right parts, studying the technique, and setting the appropriate time to do it.

Let me know. drunk.gif

Robert (707) 888-1857
napasteve
FYI Stoddard is offering a complete moulding kit with clips:

http://www.stoddard.com/91454121399-set.html

SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 3 2017, 05:36 AM) *
I'll ask around ...
idea.gif
av-943.gif Is 'ask around' a euphemism for 'hopefully Mark see's this post'? poke.gif

owned.gif rolleyes.gif
Jon Dugan
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Aug 3 2017, 10:02 AM) *

Jon..... if you decide to do it yourself, let me know and I could drive over to help you (extra set of hands, etc).

If you do not have the space at your place, drive up to Santa Rosa and you can do it at my house.

I will be attempting a windshield repair down the road, so I would be interested in learning.

We can do it..... nothing on these cars seems very difficult.... just a matter of buying the right parts, studying the technique, and setting the appropriate time to do it.

Let me know. drunk.gif

Robert (707) 888-1857

Thanks a lot for the offer Robert !! I might just take you up on it. Trade some extra sets of hands, get both cars done, and both learn a thing or two beerchug.gif beerchug.gif I can easily get a tinted repop and clip kit from PH here in Hayward, just need to source the butyl tape. I plan to reuse the existing trim. It's in good shape right now...
I'll call you this weekend and we can discuss further.

Jon
Jon Dugan
Thanks everyone for your input!! Feel free to keep it coming pray.gif It will be very useful in my endeavor. driving.gif
ConeDodger
Butyl tape is available through Autobody supply stores. Get the primer too.
McMark
3M Part number is 08611. You need one roll per car.

Napa Auto Parts usually has it in stock.

Also available on Amazon Prime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.