Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sheet metal for floorboards?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shorty01
do i have to buy the proper floor panels or can i just use 16 or 18 gauge sheel metal
im not going to sell it im going to keep it and im trying to bring it back to its oem apperance
but for all my (underbody) rust repairs id like to just use sheet metal

my friends got 4 years of wealding and his dad welds too they both said that they will help me and said that sheet metal works fine

2 914 panels for 240 and add40 for shipping or
2 sheets of 4x8 sheet metal for 8 bucks a piece

like i said im not going to have a judge at a contest look up and down
at the car just looking to fix it for driving
im 23 and in college so saving every penny helps right now
tat2dphreak
yep sheet metal will be fine, I am planning to do the same type thing... it's going to be under sound deadener and carpet, no one will see, so who cares if it's "stock"...

I *think* someone said 20(16 for the structural pieces, IIRC) was closer to spec for floorboards... it's not true 20 ga. since it's metric sheetmetal..
mihai914
Sheet metal will work well if you reinforce it in some way so it won't flex while you sit in the car. Here is a picture that might help you.

Mihai
mihai914
Sorry, here it is!
stags14
QUOTE (mihai914 @ May 17 2005, 11:19 AM)
Sheet metal will work well if you reinforce it in some way so it won't flex while you sit in the car. Here is a picture that might help you.

Mihai

How do you recommend reinforcing it?
TravisNeff
by rolling beads on it like the picture above, or bending the metal to follow the original contour of the floor- this will strenghten the panel. If it is a small section, you should be fine without beading or countouring - if it is a large section - I'd go find a parts car, or buy the repro panel.
balljoint
The replacement floor panels are stamped with a pattern that gives the floor some 3-D rigidity, same as it came from the factory. You would need to emulate that in some way.

I would just buy the panels, they aren't really that expensive. Saves a lot of time and effort and they give a proper finished look.
mihai914
As you can see in the picture, making bends or lines in the flat sheet metal will reinforce it. I had that made at a local metal fabricator. There is also under each side on the car a reinforcing bracket that the factory added.
tat2dphreak
yea, I was assuming small patches(all I have to do)... if you have to do it all... spring for the replacement panel... check restoration design...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.