Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
piratenanner.gif I alway like the dancing banana which Mike Mueller used quite frequently in the past.

The past year I have shifting problems with my rebuild transmission. Originally Doc Evil built the transmission for my 3.2 engine. He did a beautiful job and everything was great until I got the car together running. The problem was the shifting and hanging on the gears at different times. It was nothing that the Doc had done in his build and he did a first class job as always. Changed the entire shifting mechanism from the gear shift down to the side shift assembly on the transmission. Even changed the bushings, tapered pins, universal and bushings, shift rigging, everything possible.

Was not making any headway except a large amount of frustration. Doc was busy with his recent endeavors so I had EBS in Reno look at the transmission where they replaced all five synchros, rev/1st slider(?), and something on 3rd gear.

Still had the shift problem and I associated it with being ok when everything was cold, but when hot the problem would definitely arise.

We recently moved to Rio Rancho, NM where I was referred to an old Porsche racer in Corrales. He inspected the car and found a very simple, logical, irritating, problem cause.

Not yet, Compadres!

First, the Fix was so obvious that I even over looked it and the Doc was not handy to physically get involved. The Doc built a beautiful transmission to the highest level of quality and provides the higher level of advice in helping people. It is an easy item to over look even when inspecting.

Second, EBS are great people who do know a thing or two about Porsche. They did a great job replacing the items they thought was causing it

Third, this is a followup involving a completed solution which I have found is completely lacking in a lot of threads. I am talking about the threads where the fix and conclusion are left open.

Here it is in a nutshell! The cause involves how you may approach a problem. The age old approach should always be KISS (Keep it simple Stupid!). Am I long winded? Yes, I am and am enjoying it for all the time, money, and people involved. Yes, it was my approach and believe me I have read about it but did not take issue with it. Yes, I am a happy camper!

Compadres - here is the problem solution in the complete nutshell

Ah! Hell! I am not going to tell you and just leave the cause and solution as an open item!
pray.gif stirthepot.gif hissyfit.gif smash.gif poke.gif
Cause and Solution: Outer pin on the transmission shift console. Had the ends of the pins welded so there was not any movement. It appears two items were involved - later pins wear faster than old ones and the holes can be loose fitting. Welding took care of the problem and it is shifting well within the 901 shifting limitations. Makes one a very happy camper!
icon_bump.gif driving.gif lol-2.gif type.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif bye1.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
SirAndy
As my dad used to say "always keep your pins tight" ...
bye1.gif
ChrisFoley
We check for movement of the ball lever on the shaft any time we work on a linkage that seems to have excessive play.
snakemain
Russ knows his stuff. We need to meet up.

E
jim_hoyland
Picture of the pins location would be instructive... smile.gif
shoguneagle
Hey, Snakeman

You are definitely right. I know you are in the military so your time will determine where and when we meet. As always it should be the Turttle. Just let me know; we are leaving for Flagstaff, AZ on Aug 8th and will be back on the following Saturday.

Racer Chris,

I know you do but there are times when even the best miss items; nothing is meant to be negative against anyone. It just boils down in my case the pins were missed even though I had looked at them. I look at everything with the eye of a FAA Qualified Inspector and years with United Airlines. Things like this can be missed. I am extremely proud of all our suppliers, manufacturers, and Porsche mechanics. As they say in the Navy - We have the Best of the Best

Sir Andy-

Your comments and symbols always brings a great smile to my old, wrinkled face. Thanks for providing all the guidance, solutions, friendships, etc through your efforts in maintaining the website. It is a great benefit to us all who have been here from the start, living the problems you must have had, etc. I had better stop otherwise I will make "SIR ANDY" a living legend - now we cannot have that because it could change our in resident nobleman.

Just wanted to convey the solution to my problems and to show the end result.

Steve Hurt

PS: Hi, Doc. Thank you for the many pieces of advice you have given over the years including the excellent transmission build/service
snakemain
I'm retired. I got lots of time. Soon as the kids start school in 2 weeks, I'll have all the time in the world between 9 and 4 on weekdays.

We could drive the cars down around the mountains and then up to the top! Did that this past weekend, but with the whole family and in the Suburban, so not quite the same. I need to put a couple hundred more break-in miles on the new motor before I take it back to Russ...which I'd like to do well in advance of RRC. Or just stop over any time and shoot the breeze.

E
shoguneagle
Jim

I am not good enough even to attempt an attachment showing markings. I could take pictures of the shift console, tell what was done and what it looked like before and after; then, you could mark them and include them in a thread.

Maybe we could do some documentation along these lines. Let me know.
shoguneagle
Snakemain,

We should get together and maybe a drive for your mileage. I need to drive the car to get to know it. We would have to meet somewhere since we are still waiting on our furniture coming from Oregon via Bekins. A store unto itself.

Drop me an email and lets do it.
Dave_Darling
I believe the pin that Shogun is talking about is the one that holds the joint in the photo below together:

IPB Image

It goes through the side of the round part near the top of the pic, and into the shaft that is sticking out of the middle of that round part.

The photo is taken from underneath the car, with the black plastic cover off the side-shift console. The front of the car would be to the right of the pic.

--DD
shoguneagle
Dave, Thanks!

Exactly the pin which I had repaired; also, there is another one inside on the other end having the same type pins. The pins wear along with the holes, thus the movement in the shift linkage in my case. The most wear seemed to be on the outside lever Dave is showing in his picture. The wear on mine was both lateral (side to side) and circular (forward and backward) movements.

A complete repair parts would require two new pins, housing o-ring, two shaft seals for the housing. I believe all the parts are still available or can be sourced.

The inside pin is the one that attaches the gear shift internal selector gear position.

I think this area can be easily overlooked and can cause problems as you can see. Usually not discussed at any length in talking about the shifting rod and gear shift problems and changes.

Hope this helps someone. It is in the books but can be overlooked as I did.

Steve
Mikey914
Got these on sale for $1.99 each right now (through the weekend).

Cant afford not to change them.

http://shop.914rubber.com/91142413900-Ball...m?categoryId=-1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.