Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: later fuel pump with 72 efi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bobj21
I am resurrecting a 72 1.7 914. I have relocated the fuel pump to the front. The fuel pump does not work. Rebuilds are expensive and not readily available.

Can I use the late model fuel pump with only two connectors and run the return directly back to the tank? Lionel-Atlanta (Auto Atlanta on Ebay) advertises the replacement pump as working for all models from 70-76, but provide no instructions.

Is anyone doing this now?

Do you have pictures of the routing of the hoses?

Or should I bite the bullet and get the $400 rebuild of the stock fuel pump?

Thanks,

Bob Johnson biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
Yes, definitely change to the new pump. It simplifies the hoses by eliminating the Wye tube and bypass hose from the pump.

I'll bet my price is lower than AA's price and I'm not the cheapest source.
JawjaPorsche
Did this five years ago and it was a simple change. Much cheaper too.
mepstein
Buy it from Chris. He has all the correct clamps and grommets. Don't buy a rebuilt pump. It's not going to last another 40 years or maybe even 4.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2017, 07:15 PM) *

Buy it from Chris. He has all the correct clamps and grommets.

agree.gif
shoguneagle
agree.gif agree.gif
And he has knowledge to help
Steve Hurt
Dave_Darling
Just to be on the safe side, also pick up a set of stainless fuel lines from Chris. The center tunnel lines were not under much pressure with the pump in the rear; they are under ~30 PSI with the pump up front. Better safe than sorry; high-pressure fuel leaks are a Very Bad Thing.

--DD
jmitro
if using the original fuel injection system, is it better to have the pump up front or in the engine bay?
mepstein
If you have the choice, go to the front. I've experienced vapor lock on a couple 914's and it's a pain. The stall usually happens at the worst time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.