Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smooth Jugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
My son took out the teener engine to check the passenger side cylinder head.
He removed the jugs an inside they were smooth and shiny. Before he put them back he rehoned them. I assume the driver side would be the same smooth and shiny , should he pull the driver side heads and jugs to rehone them or they should be fine.
McMark
Doesn't matter. The cylinders are smooth and shiny because material has been removed through repeated up/down cycles.

Old cylinders with old rings = loose ring-to-cylinder pressure = loss of compression and increased oil consumption.

Honing the cylinders and putting everything back how it was won't do anything. It's pretty irrelevant, but honing them technically removes even more material.

Now if you install new rings, that's a different scenario.
rick 918-S
I would suggest checking the bores with a bore gauge first. If they are close hone and re-ring. Or if the registers are square install a new set of pistons and cylinders.
porschetub
Not really the right thing to do as you may find those old rings may not bed into the honing that has been done.
From my past experience working @ my friends VW shop T4 motors don't re-ring as well as say a T1 engine,the larger barrels used in these motors (even stock) have more tendency to go "out of round".
Add wear to the ring lands,out of round barrels with new rings and you can have compression and oil control issues unless the parts are carefully measured.
Best when you remove barrels is to keep the pistons in there then you won't have any issues ,good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.