Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who Makes the Best Main Targa Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
Need the one that attaches to the front above the windshield and runs down both A pillars. AA has "the worlds best" targa main front seal for $169 anyone buy one of theirs? Anyone with a new old stock one or good used one?
Dave_Darling
I don't know who makes the best, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather pay double to the folks at 914rubber than deal with George at all.

--DD
arne
I've got the one from 914rubber in the garage now, but won't be installing it for a few weeks. Looks like a really nice piece, but I can't say how it fits yet.

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Main-Targa-S...tion-914MTS.htm
turk22
I installed mine from 914Rubber a year or so ago, perfect!
burton73
When I joined here back in 2007 you could not get one anywhere. Price for one was over $500. Supply and demand. Then George got a bunch from Porsche Germany and I got a couple of those.

914 Main Targa Seal Reproduction
$179. From 914 rubber today.

Just so you know the history of the part.

Bob B
Mikey914
Thanks guys.
There are many choices for parts now. Some of questionable quality ( URO). We appreciate the support of the community as it allows us to make more of these parts we all need.
We trybto give back to the community and in about 5 weeks we will be announcing a huge give back. Ill let you speculate, but will be a neat program.

Mark
Mblizzard
Nothing can match the Orginal of 40 years ago. In some ways that is good. But I have seen few others that are as all around solid as 914 Rubbers.com. Just be easy and use lots of lube on the install.
Sea Dragon 914
I have a couple NIB sitting in my garage at home. Been reluctant to try to put them on. Besides, they only leak when I wash the cars. blink.gif

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 4 2017, 03:53 PM) *

Nothing can match the Orginal of 40 years ago. In some ways that is good. But I have seen few others that are as all around solid as 914 Rubbers.com. Just be easy and use lots of lube on the install.

mepstein
Once in a while I get lucky - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...Main+Targa+seal
IronHillRestorations
I think the 914Rubber.com is an excellent alternative to the factory part, which is my personal favorite, albeit the most expensive choice. Mikey has changed material for his seal which improved it a lot.

I haven't gotten a factory one in at least 12 years, so I have no idea how much they cost now.
ConeDodger
I got one of the last ones from the Porsche Factory probably 10 years ago. 914Rubber is the same duck with a different quack.

Automobile Atlanta? barf.gif
mzalanka
914rubber x 1000.

Mark has been doing continuous improvement on the main targa seal since I bought mine as a GB back in 2012. Excellent product, with excellent after-purchase support. Better than factory, in my opinion.
horizontally-opposed
I made the mistake of buying a new factory seal 5-10 years ago. Probably 2009-2011.

While it looks nice and offers a great seal along the top, it's too hard and doesn't let the door windows mate up along the A-pillars as they should—they stand proud. While I have managed to get the seal and its mating surfaces to be more or less water-tight—my car must've been the only 914 that didn't leak before I took it apart to paint it—the wind noise with the new seals is plain AWFUL. I remember my 914 being surprisingly quiet on the freeway with the windows up and top on. Now it is shockingly loud. I have tried reworking all of the seal guides, the door windows, even making the adjustment range for the door window guides larger...all to little avail. With the top off, wind noise is obviously not a problem. With the top on, it's loud. As in, the carbureted 2.2 six is quiet by comparison. As in, I took ear plugs with me on the way from SF to LA. When the ear plugs weren't enough to mitigate the wind noise, I went to noise-canceling ear buds and kept an eye on the instruments (I know, I know…).

A friend with very smart people working on his car says the factory rubber he just got this year is doing the same thing—doesn't seal, a lot of wind noise. Said the rubber is a 10 out of 10 on durometer compared to the old stuff.
euro911
I remember back when the factory supply dried-up and folks were asking $1,000 to $1,200 for them screwy.gif

Prior to Mark making the repros, I picked up two factory seals for $250. each and they're earmarked for the cars after the repaints happen. If I didn't have these, I'd definitely buy some from Mark ... everything from 914 rubber is nothing less than superb first.gif
rick 918-S
I've used 914rubber's seal. Worked perfect.
rob gannon
Got one from AA about 8 years ago and installed it. Noticed in last couple of months it's developing quite a few cracks. It was expensive at the time and I'm not happy about it.
I'll definitely use 914Rubber when I have to replace it.
dgraves
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 4 2017, 02:24 PM) *

Need the one that attaches to the front above the windshield and runs down both A pillars. AA has "the worlds best" targa main front seal for $169 anyone buy one of theirs? Anyone with a new old stock one or good used one?

I installed a 914Rubber Main Targa Seal 6 weeks ago. Sides went on smooth with silicone. It also has a great fit at the corners. The seal over the center windshield frame was difficult to get on until this forum helped out. I applied some adhesive to the metal, pushed the rubber on, and then put the roof on for a week. It looks great and is not coming off!

jim_hoyland
agree.gif The 914 Rubber is a good fit. It takes some patience to install and there are some excellent threads on doing the job. A few tricks out there.. smile.gif
Larmo63
I installed the 914 Rubber seal and it is a challenge. I never got the ripples out of the top of it above the windshield. My thumbs were sore for a week.
Probably my own ineptitude, really. I'd like to put one on the black car, but I'm not looking forward to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.