Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: largest displacement engine with IDF 40's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
I've been thinking about what I should do when I rebuild my engine 'properly'. I currently have a stock 1.8 with Weber IDF40 dual carbs.

I would like to keep the carbs, although I can rejet as necessary I guess. The question is, will this carb setup limit the displacement I can run? I guess the choice is essentially building a 1911 or a 2056.

I also want to keep the stock brakes and 4 lug setup.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 1911 cause, well, I'm cheap. But I am worried I will still want more power, and I am sure it will be cheaper to do it now than 10 years down the road.

Thoughts?
McMark
Either of those will work fine. 2056 will have more torque.
larryM
buy a copy of Bob Tomlinson's Weber Tech Manual

- everything you need to know is in that

rhcb914
I love the 1911 and have run several over the years. Short stroke big bore descent torque, not as much as the 2056, but boy they love to rev. The one in my car has 1.7 heads, dual 40's and is a great combo.

colingreene
I like my 2258 out of all the type 4 stuff ive gotten to drive...
but i have a pair of 44s on that.
McMark
To more broadly answer your question: 40mm IDFs are great for anything under 2.2. Above that you want to step up to 44mm IDFs.

BUT like all engine decisions, it depends on what the rest of the engine is designed for. You can build a small engine, designed to rev high, that can benefit from larger carbs, and you could build a 2.3 and focus on drivability and fuel economy and 40mm IDFs might work better. So there is always an exception from the rule. But most engines will follow the advice on line1.
Mark Henry
The 40mm will work well right up to the 2270cc 78mm x 96mm, like Mark said what you'll lose on the top end you'll gain in bottom end grunt.

Once beyond that size 44mm.
I didn't care for the 48mm IDF and many on the samba/STF have said the same.

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 6 2017, 08:46 AM) *

BUT like all engine decisions, it depends on what the rest of the engine is designed for. You can build a small engine, designed to rev high, that can benefit from larger carbs, and you could build a 2.3 and focus on drivability and fuel economy and 40mm IDFs might work better. So there is always an exception from the rule. But most engines will follow the advice on line1.

Totally, there's no such thing as a perfect engine, it's always give and take.
Power vs drivability is #1 with this and if you want to drive it on the street too hot of a cam will get real old fast.

Also it's a slippery slope, if you want to build a 2270 don't forget your looking at $2k worth of heads, $1-2K headers, etc. etc. etc.

Matt guessing at your budget I'd stick with a 1911 or 2056cc. The done right 2270 even DYI will be over $6K just in parts.
kgruen2
Here, here. I have a 2270, and boy, it was not cheap, but it runs like a bat outta hell. happy11.gif
mobymutt
Alright, so the carb's aren't going to be a limiting factor in the displacements I'm looking at.

Guess I have more thinking to do now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.